Hi From Uk

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. May. 17, 2016 10:43 am

There are sometimes venders at Celtic festivals here in Central NY that sell peat "bricks" imported from Ireland. One had a small peat fire going inside a tent. Smelled good. Sorta reminded me of when I was a kid, and in fall that earthy smell when everyone was burning their piles of leaves.

And I can see where the flavor comes from in the single malt scotch from Islay area of Scotland. One of my daughters gave me a bottle of Scotch from there that was so "smoky" I thought it had been strained through the remains of a house fire. :D

Paul

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Wed. May. 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Beautiful singing along with that you tube. I have found here inPA that there is no government prohibition with home anthracite use, but in fact a propane boiler running at 92 percent efficiency and with propane in my are .95 per gallon delivered for 500 gallons make the coal just not economically viable with my stoker boiler efficiency rating of in my view 65 percent . I will still use the boiler for peak winter usage to keep me and the system running and it is very warm with the coal stoker putting out the heat as it doesn't like to modulate with out a lot of hardware.
Id be afraid to ship a chunk of coal it may raise a lot of questions

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Wed. May. 18, 2016 6:03 pm

franpipeman wrote:Id be afraid to ship a chunk of coal it may raise a lot of questions
There is no issue with shipping coal in the US. I have done it many times. If our new member from the UK will pay for the postage I will gladly ship him some coal. :D

Nessumo
Other Heating: Gas boilerboiler :(

Post by Nessumo » Thu. May. 19, 2016 2:23 am

How much would it be to post that? I mean obviously I don't want a boulder, just a nice little chunk to admire. I've only ever seen "bit" coal and some of your anthracite looks gorgeous.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. May. 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Nessumo wrote:How much would it be to post that? I mean obviously I don't want a boulder, just a nice little chunk to admire. I've only ever seen "bit" coal and some of your anthracite looks gorgeous.
I have some what is considered "Stove" size Anthracite. The shipping cost would depend on how many oz, pounds or Kilo's you would want. A package of up to 1lb of coal would cost $22.50 us via USPS First Class Mail.

Nessumo
Other Heating: Gas boilerboiler :(

Post by Nessumo » Thu. May. 26, 2016 8:41 am

Sorry I forgot about this thread. 22 dollars seems a lot for a chunk of coal, I may have to try and get a hunk of Welsh anthracite. I've spent the last few weeks reading pretty much every thread on this site (currently up to page 55 of coal bins) I'm thoroughly fascinated by everything I read. Great site you have here even if I'll technically never use the information I've found, the pursuit of knowledge is good enough for me

willmckendry

Post by willmckendry » Wed. Sep. 20, 2017 4:28 am

Nessumo wrote:Use post code L355tg

https://www.coals2u.co.uk/

It's cheaper locally.
Hi there, new to solid fuel and stumbled across this post, in particular this reply about where to buy the fuel. We've just moved into a new property with a gravity feed boiler and need to buy some anthracite grains? Coals2u seem quite expensive so looked around online. Has anyone used https://www.housefuel.co.uk? Seem okay but i'm always nervous buying from a company online i've not heard of before.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”