Sterling Heat Engines

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Wed. Apr. 16, 2008 10:27 pm

In MD a steam pressure boiler would require a permit and a licensed operator. My sister-in-laws foster son was once a state inspector. He also inspected the antique tractor steam engines and the stationary boilers used to power antique generators at the local historical society.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Apr. 17, 2008 12:46 am

I'm moving this into the general forum, again you can post anything that is related to energy here.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Thu. Apr. 17, 2008 7:18 am

I think steam engines are "cool" but as a practical matter I think the Sterling would be more practical and safer. No need for high pressure boilers.
Last edited by cokehead on Thu. Apr. 17, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Apr. 17, 2008 8:55 am

cokehead wrote:I believe the laws on steam boilers vary from state to state. I'm under the impression in Connecticut that if the boiler operates under 300 psi no license is required but take it with a grain of salt. Inspections and licensing are a good thing with regard to boilers. I've talked to people in the navy who where on a ship that had a boiler problem. About 8 people died and many more badly burned. High pressure steam is serious business.
Anything over 15# is high pressure steam in CT. The Connecticut Department of Public Saftey (State Police) are the authority that license the operation of any commercial applications. The boiler must be inspected twice yearly, one is an internal (wet and firesides) and the other is a walkaround. The inspections are done by the insurance company, in my case it is Factory Mutual.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”