Sterling Heat Engines

General energy and coal related topics, news and basic information. If you do not know where to post your topic post it here.
Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post Wed. Apr. 16, 2008 10:27 pm

In MD a steam pressure boiler would require a permit and a licensed operator. My sister-in-laws foster son was once a state inspector. He also inspected the antique tractor steam engines and the stationary boilers used to power antique generators at the local historical society.
Yanche
Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Stoker Boiler burning Anthracite Pea Coal

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post Thu. Apr. 17, 2008 12:46 am

I'm moving this into the general forum, again you can post anything that is related to energy here.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

- Albert Einstein

cokehead
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502

Post Thu. Apr. 17, 2008 7:18 am

I think steam engines are "cool" but as a practical matter I think the Sterling would be more practical and safer. No need for high pressure boilers.
Last edited by cokehead on Thu. Apr. 17, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence. Half a truth is often a great lie. He that lives upon hope will die fasting. Rather go to bed with out dinner than to rise in debt. The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." Benjamin Franklin

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post Thu. Apr. 17, 2008 8:55 am

cokehead wrote:I believe the laws on steam boilers vary from state to state. I'm under the impression in Connecticut that if the boiler operates under 300 psi no license is required but take it with a grain of salt. Inspections and licensing are a good thing with regard to boilers. I've talked to people in the navy who where on a ship that had a boiler problem. About 8 people died and many more badly burned. High pressure steam is serious business.
Anything over 15# is high pressure steam in CT. The Connecticut Department of Public Saftey (State Police) are the authority that license the operation of any commercial applications. The boiler must be inspected twice yearly, one is an internal (wet and firesides) and the other is a walkaround. The inspections are done by the insurance company, in my case it is Factory Mutual.
Nothing is impossible for people who don't have to do it themselves.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”