Proposed Band on Coal in Vt

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Hello everyone I was driving to work the other day and heard on the news that the Governor of Vt. wants to band the all use of coal in Vt. of course that made me really mad :mad: but I did not hear any more about it and thought that it was just talk then last night I had my daughter came over for supper and she heard it again on Saturday and was really suprised it is a good thing that this Gonernor is not running again this year he would not get my vote for sure
Has anyone heard any of the same talk in there state? or is it only the state of Vt
Have a good and Safe day

Memco man

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 11:24 pm

I hope a load of coal does not "accidentally" drop on the guy .. that would be a shame.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 5:37 am

The last thing I heard about Shumlin and coal was that he wanted the state pension fund to divest all holdings in coal companies. If you think it is more than that, I suggest you contact your local house rep. and see what they know.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 5:50 am

What Rob said. He wants to divest the state of any coal or oil holdings in their portfolio.

I don't think you have to worry about burning coal. Sure beats the stench of half-burning wood that I get to smell on a daily basis. :sick:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 5:53 am

cabinover wrote:What Rob said. He wants to divest the state of any coal or oil holdings in their portfolio.

I don't think you have to worry about burning coal. Sure beats the stench of half-burning wood that I get to smell on a daily basis. :sick:
He was ranting about how the oil stocks have lost value recently...Maybe he wishes they invested in companies like Solyndra instead? (now brankrupt).

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 7:55 am

He's sighting acid rain as the problem with coal - killing off trees and fish in Vermont lakes. And claiming it contributes to glo-bull warming
http://governor.vermont.gov/node/2621

He's a "bit" behind the times. That article even states that acid rain levels in Lake Champlain have dropped since the 1990's

And USGS tests show acid rain is not the problem it was years ago. Because of regulations on coal power plant and automobile emissions, their tests show that lakes and forests that were once damaged by acid rain, are making a comeback.

http://gizmodo.com/after-decades-of-acid-rain-damage-northeastern-forests-1740571183
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.est.5b02904

Sounds more like he's just following the Dem playbook to keep the lemmings riled up, rather than deal in facts.

Paul

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 2:16 pm

So they found coal in Vermont
Looking for a BAND :roll:
A Gospel band,A country band,A polka band,A rock band
To play on the site b4 digging ? ;)

Shouldn't be too hard to find the right band for the purpose. :)

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 2:41 pm

A rubber band ..... for the Governor to hold that claim together while he's stretching the truth. :D

Paul

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:A rubber band ..... for the Governor to hold that claim together while he's stretching the truth. :D

Paul
Oh,
That kind of band. :doh: :)

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Tue. Feb. 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks everyone that makes me feel better and I got a few laughs out of it as well guess I needed that :D

Have a good day

M.M.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 24, 2016 7:45 am

Glad your not worried anymore, MM. And thanks for being such a good sport about the ribbing. ;)

Paul

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Feb. 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Anthracite emissions are comparable to natural gas. It isn't the same stuff they are burning in the power plants.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Feb. 27, 2016 12:27 pm

ASea wrote:Anthracite emissions are comparable to natural gas. It isn't the same stuff they are burning in the power plants.
Actually emission profiles are very similar for anthracite and bituminous coals burned in an industrial setting. In a home setting, anthracite emissions are very low in soot particulate which is why it's said to be almost as clean as natural gas; the remaining emissions profile is, however, substantially different than natural gas and similar to bituminous coals.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Feb. 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Berlin wrote:
ASea wrote:Anthracite emissions are comparable to natural gas. It isn't the same stuff they are burning in the power plants.
Actually emission profiles are very similar for anthracite and bituminous coals burned in an industrial setting. In a home setting, anthracite emissions are very low in soot particulate which is why it's said to be almost as clean as natural gas; the remaining emissions profile is, however, substantially different than natural gas and similar to bituminous coals.
B,
Is that for all types of "home setting" anthracite stoves ? Or, do some have better emission profiles than others ?

Paul

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 1:01 pm

For the most part, the emissions are dependent on the chemical makeup of the fuel. Otherwise, stoker stoves will have higher particulate - fly ash emissions, whereas hand-fired stoves would have higher CO emissions.

I wouldn't lose sleep over any of it; if anyone does, then, perhaps, coal burning (or anything burning) isn't for you.

I just don't believe that anyone is going to make a successful argument in coal's favor to those that hate coal or dislike it by throwing another type of coal under the bus as "bad". It's two sides of the same coin, they're far far more similar than different as are their emissions.

My point is - if you want to stand up for coal , for home use or otherwise - you don't feed the premise - you disagree with it entirely, otherwise you've lost the argument before you've begun.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”