Weak Winter, Look Out Next Year

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Fri. Mar. 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Well now that it is Spring I can say that last winter was pretty weak. It got below zero for a few days, and we had some snow and ice but it wasn't nearly as miserable as it could have been. The year before was the same way, mostly above average. It all has to even out (unless you think like Al Gore), so next year might be a cold one. I reset my thermometer Jan 1, 2008, the coldest it has registered this year is -7 That is taken on the siding of the house in a sheltered location so no wind chill, but fairly accurate.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Mar. 28, 2008 10:40 pm

I have read that winter weather runs in an eleven year cycle. It would be time, therefore, for the winters to begin to get more severe again. Worst winter since I've lived in Stillwater: 1996. Lowest temperature here that year was -24 degrees F one morning, -37 in Hainesville, about 10 miles north of here.

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Sat. Mar. 29, 2008 9:31 am

Recording degree days

It was 7.45% colder this season so far compared to last!

coal-cooker

Post by coal-cooker » Sat. Mar. 29, 2008 10:35 am

In Maine this was a good old fashion winter, cold and lots of snow. The last few years have really been mild and we tend of get spoiled. We actually set a new snow record on the first day of spring. Old record of 181 inches was in 1955. First day of spring this year was 183.5 inches total and we have had more since. I am not sure what the final will be for the season, but I've had enough. I figure I will be able to mow the grass about June 30.

ken

Post by ken » Sat. Mar. 29, 2008 12:11 pm

we had a couple nights below zero. since Christmas , the temps have been in low 30's , low 20' during the day. at night it's in the teens and low 20. we had one day for about 6 hours when it went up to 65. I went out on the ramp and enjoyed it till it ended .:) felt so good to be outside.:) we only had 3 or 4 good snow falls , one was 2'. we are way below on snow fall. we usally get 180" plus each year.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Sat. Mar. 29, 2008 1:06 pm

my buddy lives near Stowe, VT, 650 inches of snow this season and counting. Six hundred fifty, that's like 50 feet of snow if it didn't melt or pack down. I suspect there might be some flooding in the Connecticut river valley when it melts. He can't see out of his windows, the house is buried.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Apr. 01, 2008 7:46 pm

Here in Massachusetts it was an easy winter. Very little snow (after December) & not real cold.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Apr. 01, 2008 8:12 pm

In SE Michigan, we are in our 4th or 5th snowiest winter. As for temps, it was much colder than last year.. Last year January was about like March, This year we had plenty of single digits, weeks of mid-teens for high temps.. and we had plenty of -0* nights...

I was able to keep my house and shop comfortable, even a bit extravagantly warm in the family [ TV] room up to 72-74* at times... :lol:

I'll be glad to have the same or warmer next year.. it wasn't record-cold, but cold and snowy enough.

Greg L

djackman

Post by djackman » Fri. Apr. 04, 2008 12:37 am

All the snow & cold weather pretty much missed Long Island this year (again). Only went plowing twice, and one of those times was just an excuse to exercise the equipment.

This was my first year burning coal, good it was a mild one so the learning experience wasn't a true "trial by fire".

coal-cooker

Post by coal-cooker » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 7:25 pm

I don't know, 2 of my neighbors snow blowed their yards this weekend. something about wanting to see grass before July 4. My belief is that I would just have to mow earlier if I did that. I'll just let the stuff melt. Still have 4 feet piled up in a lot of the yard. Maybe I can get in some fishing before I have to start doing yard work.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 8:17 pm

coal-cooker wrote:I don't know, 2 of my neighbors snow blowed their yards this weekend. something about wanting to see grass before July 4. My belief is that I would just have to mow earlier if I did that. I'll just let the stuff melt. Still have 4 feet piled up in a lot of the yard. Maybe I can get in some fishing before I have to start doing yard work.
I think I need to move there.

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 8:33 pm

I work outside. It was a cold misable season. Maybe the snow amount was lower than average but I'd venture to guess the temps were also lower than average. March for example has been very cold, relatively speaking, with almost no nice days. There's been a lot of overcast and wind this past winter. Or maybe I was just stuck working days in the field when the weather was at it's worse.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Apr. 08, 2008 12:07 am

good point, I finished my indoor heated workshop last year so I was able to work inside 99% of the time. It didn't seem that cold looking out the window :D

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Tue. Apr. 08, 2008 10:48 am

coal-cooker wrote:I don't know, 2 of my neighbors snow blowed their yards this weekend. something about wanting to see grass before July 4. My belief is that I would just have to mow earlier if I did that. I'll just let the stuff melt. Still have 4 feet piled up in a lot of the yard. Maybe I can get in some fishing before I have to start doing yard work.
Can I stay with you a few days?

I only got the snowmobile out three times this winter.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”