I Have a Large Tub of Coal

Don

Post by Don » Tue. Nov. 29, 2005 2:56 am

When I moved into my house, there was a large amount of coal in the coal bin, but the house has a gas furnace, so I don't need it.

The coal chunks are about baseball size, but I don't know what kind of coal it is.

I live in Columbus, Ohio. What can I do with this? Do people burn coal in Ohio? Can I sell this coal?

Thanks,
[email protected]

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Nov. 29, 2005 9:48 am

I'd suggest offering it for free providing they do the work. It's a lot of work moving coal out of basement by buckets or any other means. If it's just a little bit you may not even find someone to do that.

You may get a few bucks for it, if it's anthracite it's probably worht about $2 per 5 gallon bucket at best. Baseball size would probably be Stove which is a size.

Post by Guest » Tue. Nov. 29, 2005 11:34 pm

I have put it all into a large 15 gallon heavy duty plastic tub with strap handles. I cleaned up the remaining little pieces and dust and threw that away.

It's heavy, but I think a couple of strong people could lift it up the stairs.

How do I tell if it's anthracite or otherwise? It was definitely used for home heating at one time.

I wondered if there was some law about burning coal in Ohio now. I don't know of anybody who heats their home with coal.

Thanks,
Don

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Nov. 30, 2005 1:26 am

If it's Anthracite it will be shiny and very hard... simialr to glass in a way. If washed your hands will stay comletely clean if you handle it.

I can assure you people in Ohio burn coal, I get requests for deliveries there all the time. The trouble is the shipping would be astronomical. There's a good chance what you have is Bituminous...

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”