.JPG | 112.7KB | IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
.JPG | 1.7MB | IMG_0216.JPG

coalmeister

Post by coalmeister » Sun. Dec. 07, 2008 3:43 pm

hugg wrote:
DSC01672.jpg
DSC01673.jpg
Those are some seriously big rocks in that coal shuttle, what size is that coal?

Love the brickwork!

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 3:59 am

I like the blower setup away from the stove. Thinking of setting mine up that way to keep the noise level down in the room

Am3bulldog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker-Rice Burner
Other Heating: Oil Furnace if needed

Post by Am3bulldog » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Originally bought a Harman MK II that I was going to set up in Downstairs living room but then came across a Harman Magnum Stoker that needed refinishing but was in solid mechanical shape if I could get rid of the rust and replace the glass. Well had ordered and laid out the tile neccessary for the Mark II but the Magnum is a little deeper so after finishing it all I now have to tear up the last row of Bullnose tiles and lay back in tiles to make another 6" at the front of the stove. But anyway here is how it all came out and looks presently. Burning very well and keeping the entire house warm. I usually like the house at about 65 degrees so sometimes the stove is idleing nicely now. Eventually will look to getting the Coal-trol unit for stove but right now pretty happy with how well the stove is burning. Thanks to several here that have given me great advance.

As you can see I redid the stove Dark Forest Green and added the brass trim kit and new glass. Have a Magnometer connected to the stove pipe to watch the Baro settings but all is doing well.

Am3bulldog

Attachments

cropped stove.JPG

Redone Green Harman Magnum Stoker stove

.JPG | 482.4KB | cropped stove.JPG

europachris

Post by europachris » Mon. Dec. 08, 2008 1:34 pm

Nice job! I like the green a lot - it has that classic Jotul vibe to it.

I did a similar project: Finishing Refurb of Keystoker - buying a well used and somewhat neglected Keystoker that was basically solid but needed glass, gaskets, a draft blower, and about 15 pounds of ash cleaned out of the upper heat exchanger.

After spending about 40 hours cleaning it and stripping two layers of paint down to the bare metal, and getting it downstairs and back together, I was rewarded with a stove that looks and runs like new.

I used Stove Brite paint in the Charcoal color. It really looks nice and has a really deep grey/black color and a bit of metallic to it. I thought about red or blue or something wild, but being practical ruled out and I knew those colors would show the dirt and discoloration much faster.

Welcome and keep warm!

Chris

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Dec. 09, 2008 6:52 am

Nice job. That green and brass really looks sharp!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Dec. 09, 2008 11:47 am

Am3bulldog...
Looks great. By the way, having to redo that last course of tile must mean that a new tool purchase is necessary!! A fein multimaster works great for cutting out the grout around installed tile!!! :D :D :D

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Tue. Dec. 09, 2008 1:06 pm

Am3bulldog wrote: As you can see I redid the stove Dark Forest Green and added the brass trim kit and new glass. Have a Magnometer connected to the stove pipe to watch the Baro settings but all is doing well.

Am3bulldog
Where did you get the high heat gold paint?

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Dec. 09, 2008 7:23 pm

I think that is the brass trim kit from Harman.

Am3bulldog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker-Rice Burner
Other Heating: Oil Furnace if needed

Post by Am3bulldog » Tue. Dec. 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, Coalkirk is right, that is the brass trim kit I installed. Finially had a descent cold snap here; windy and 7 degrees, and the stove kept the whole house toasty :D .

Titleist1, I have thought of buying one of those Fein Multimaster for some of the trim and tile work around the house but at this point I will probably have to stick with the dremel cutting wheel and a hammer and chisel! Got laid off from work so watching my pennies...but if anybody happens to see a great deal on one let me know! What the wife doesn't know might not hurt me.

Euro-good job on that Keystoker!!! Redoing these stoves is a pain but it does feel good once they are back together and actually running well like a new one. One thing I ran into that surprised me; there is a cleanout slide under the feeder bin, where the air comes in from the combustion fan below the grates. Well, the slide was bent down on one side causeing a huge air leak through the cleanout so all the air from the combustion fan wasn't making through the grates. Something to look for if you notice your combustion fan doesn't effect the burning flame that much and you get a lot of unburnt coals in your ash. Once I straightened it out the stove was burning so much better and coal is now burning completely. Just something to look at when redoing these stoves.

Thanks all!

Am3bulldog

hugg

Post by hugg » Tue. Dec. 09, 2008 9:27 pm

Those Harman Magnums are worth the extra couple bucks. What a great stove. I went over a friends house to check out his leisure line stove and it didnt seem as well built as the Harman stoves. I love mine :D . I Think I will eventually get another and put the Gibraltar in my Garage. Nice job on the MAG! 8-)

MidnightMadman

Post by MidnightMadman » Wed. Dec. 17, 2008 9:29 pm

BURNING-001.jpg
.JPG | 530.8KB | BURNING-001.jpg

Cato

Post by Cato » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Harmon Mark I first year burning with it. It's great and I'am loving the warmth it throws off!!

Attachments

dcp_2128.jpg
.JPG | 288KB | dcp_2128.jpg

Cato

Post by Cato » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 2:49 pm

sThat worked!! So here are some more pics.

Attachments

dcp_2129.jpg

inside of Mark I

.JPG | 301.4KB | dcp_2129.jpg
dcp_2132.jpg

stove coal three tons

.JPG | 426KB | dcp_2132.jpg
dcp_2131.jpg

pot belly antique used in back room

.JPG | 396.7KB | dcp_2131.jpg

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 3:50 pm

I just added these 4 16" pavers from HD. I pried the beast up with a 2x4 and fulcrum and slid them under. Fast affordable base for it. Nice stove coal fire going.

Attachments

Picture 094.jpg
.JPG | 218.8KB | Picture 094.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”