Mega_Me

Post by Mega_Me » Wed. Jan. 11, 2006 5:34 pm

Going for several months now.

Attachments

100_2571 (Medium).jpg
.JPG | 39.7KB | 100_2571 (Medium).jpg

davemich

Post by davemich » Wed. Jan. 11, 2006 5:39 pm

Sweet looking setup Mega!! What kind of furnace is that??

Mega_Me

Post by Mega_Me » Wed. Jan. 11, 2006 5:46 pm

davemich,

It's a US Stove Co. model #1600G. We just installed it a couple of months ago and Momma and I are very happy with it. It came from TSC and I believe it was around $1499.00. On nat. gas we kept T-stat at 68, but now we're at 72 to 74. I got a credit from Gas Co. for the Dec. bill so we are already seeing paybacks! We're heating a 2500+ sq.ft. 2 story less than 3 years old so things are pretty tight and well insulated. I burn both wood and coal. It's been some what mild in Ohio lately so I have not used much wood/coal.

blue83camaro

Post by blue83camaro » Thu. Jan. 12, 2006 12:52 am

davemich wrote:Blue...what brand of furnace/stove is that??
It is a Clayton 1600G. The same as mega's. It is nice because it heats the whole house evenly. It was 52 today and I was able to keep the house 70. It only used about 20lbs of coal today. My house is 1500 square feet but is poorly insulated with single pain windows, it was built in 1915. I only have to shake it down and load it twice a day.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Jan. 27, 2006 5:20 am

I finished the install of my new wood/coal boiler. It replaces the old too-small Menomonee Boiler that has been heating my house since before Thanksgiving.
The old boiler couldn't get the water temp over about 140* and that was only with a roaring wood fire.
Now I can get 160-180* with the same size pile of wood as before. The old boiler had very little surface area to conduct heat to the water.
I designed the new boiler to have a lot of heat-exchanger surface area. It is made entirely of 409 stainless steel.

It has shaker grates, ash pan and below-the-grates combustion air so I can burn coal too.

I'm still learning the right settings for the combustion blower, aquastat and how to create a long lasting fire with wood and or coal. But I'm very happy with the results of my design so far.

The photo shows the old little boiler in the back of the outbuilding still hooked up. The new boiler is on rollers waiting to be rolled into position and hooked up. I made the new boiler to just fit through the doorway in the outbuilding. It had only 1/2" clearance for each side and top.

LsFarm/ Greg L

Attachments

Both small.jpg
.JPG | 29.8KB | Both small.jpg

billka

Post by billka » Fri. Jan. 27, 2006 4:33 pm

My Harmon

Attachments

stove.jpg
.JPG | 46.7KB | stove.jpg

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Fri. Jan. 27, 2006 7:01 pm

Bilka-

Real nice set up. I like the guns too.

LS Farm--

Can you send some additional images, maybe of the inside of the box showing the heat exchanger. I'm really impressed with your home built unit. I need more information on it.

Thanks,

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat. Jan. 28, 2006 12:28 pm

Just installed my Reading Allegany. Had to special order this one because the vent is out the back instead of top. Using power vent with barometric draft control.

This stove replaces a 13 year old pellet stove.

Attachments

coal stove01a.JPG
.JPG | 27.4KB | coal stove01a.JPG

davemich

Post by davemich » Sat. Jan. 28, 2006 5:08 pm

Chris...now thats a nice setup...looks like a parade of homes living room!!! Great tiling on the wood floors! How's it working out for you? Coal vs pellet?

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Jan. 28, 2006 6:05 pm

Cap: here is a photo of the firebox before the outer waterjacket was welded on. The heat exchangers are tubes that pass from one side of the water jacket to the other. The tubes are cut at an angle to direct the water flow frome one side to the other. There are smoke diverter plates inside the the firebox directing the hot gases between the heat exchangers.
The bottom gap in the firebox is where the fire grates are located, and the bottom 'V' and sides are firebrick lined. There is a full length ash pan under the fire grates.

I have other photos, if you would like to see them, PM me with your regular email address and I'll send you them.

Greg L [LsFarm]

Attachments

Firebox.jpg
.JPG | 19.1KB | Firebox.jpg
Last edited by LsFarm on Thu. Feb. 02, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TD

Post by TD » Sat. Jan. 28, 2006 7:13 pm

I downloaded the resizer, I think it worked this time.

Attachments

Image00001.jpg
.JPG | 47.8KB | Image00001.jpg

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Sat. Jan. 28, 2006 7:15 pm

Hey TD what model of stove is that??
looks good

TD

Post by TD » Sat. Jan. 28, 2006 7:37 pm

The stove is an alaska channing III. I put it in the basement because I plan to fix it up sometime soon. I hope it can heat the whole house where it's at. It's on a power vent. Does anyone know the right setting for the damper in the vent?

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat. Jan. 28, 2006 7:53 pm

Chris...now thats a nice setup...looks like a parade of homes living room!!! Great tiling on the wood floors! How's it working out for you? Coal vs pellet?
Thanks. I've been wanting to switch to coal for years and this year my pellet stove had a auger bearing seize. Good enough reason for me to make the switch to coal.

The coal is way easier to start (using a coal mouse) than pellets. It's more quiet and less involved to keep running than pellets but the best thing so far - it will run 3 days before I need to fill the hopper and empty the ash pan. Pellets were everyday and made way more of a mess.

When anyone asks me the comparison the answer is always "there isn't one".

madrmc

Post by madrmc » Sat. Jan. 28, 2006 8:03 pm

TD is that the cast iron top? Is it just supposed to prevent some heat from radiating out compared to standard top?

Matt

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”