Coal Temps

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Sep. 16, 2015 5:17 pm

I was curious if anyone knows what the temperature is of the grates under a burning coal bed. I may have the option to coat my cast iron Glenwood grates and fire ring, with a high temperature aviation coating, used inside the turbine section of a jet engine. Those areas typically run between 1000-1500 degrees, and not sure what the melting point of the coatings are. Don't know how beneficial it would be, but thought I'ld give it a try for GPs. If the burning coals are over 2000*, it may be a waste of time. I'm sure I could Google it, but thought I'ld give our members a shot at it. (Just to see who's listening :) ). Thanx

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Sep. 16, 2015 5:21 pm

A fresh fire might scorch the coating off. If you can keep a little ash on them, then maybe. :)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Sep. 16, 2015 5:24 pm

I'd like to add that corrosion really isn't an issue with grates. They are pretty heavy duty and are kept hot during usage. I would just coat them with a corrosion inhibitor during the off season. :)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Sep. 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Hello Mr. Lee, I know where you're coming from, as far as the corrosion goes. I figured if I'm doing the full Monte', on my restoration, I think the components would look a little better with a color other than rusty orange. I wasn't going to do them 60s style "hot Pink", or "Plum Crazy Purple", ( like Chrysler used to do their cars), but maybe a silver or light grey. Not a big deal, but if the coatings would help them last any longer, I thought "why not?"

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Wed. Sep. 16, 2015 5:50 pm

joeq wrote:I was curious if anyone knows what the temperature is of the grates under a burning coal bed. I may have the option to coat my cast iron Glenwood grates and fire ring, with a high temperature aviation coating, used inside the turbine section of a jet engine. Those areas typically run between 1000-1500 degrees, and not sure what the melting point of the coatings are. Don't know how beneficial it would be, but thought I'ld give it a try for GPs. If the burning coals are over 2000*, it may be a waste of time. I'm sure I could Google it, but thought I'ld give our members a shot at it. (Just to see who's listening :) ). Thanx
I'm doing the same thing on my grates and fire pot before the refractory gets installed. Except I'm going to use a shop in Westfield MA that will apply the ceramic thermal barrier coating. If you can use a process @ UTC P&W so much the better. The more you can insulate the coal bed on an internally bypassed stove like your 111, the better. The real results will show up in the shoulder seasons when you run low and slow.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Sep. 16, 2015 6:33 pm

I think part of how hot the grates get also depends on the grate design.

The flatter type grates, such as the drop center and dock ash, may run hotter ?

The points of the triangular grate teeth extend down into the incoming primary air more - 2 inches down from the top side of the grates at the firebed on all my Glenwoods - much like cooling fins. As such, they may be able to shed more of their heat into that cooler incoming air stream ????

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Sep. 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Nothing will stick to them for any length of time IMHO.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Sep. 16, 2015 7:39 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Nothing will stick to them for any length of time IMHO.
Right, compounded by abrasive coal and ash, seems like it would wear off rather quickly. But hey man, give it a whirl! :)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”