Looking to Clean My Chimney - Help on Tools Needed

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi gang,

Looking to cut the cord on these goofy chimney sweepers - do it myself !

Any tips? I have vacuum etc .... wondering about a proper brush selection for 6" flex liner.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 1:09 pm

I don't understand why cleaning the chimney is felt to be needful ? We burned wood in our current chimney for 5 yrs & never cleaned it. I did look inside it a few times,but never saw anything but the clay liner,since we don't eat off the clay,we never bothered cleaning. I certainly never plan to clean now that we are burning coal.Has your chimney actually had a build-up inside in the previous yrs.? I thought only wood burning with the creosote issues was the reason for ever cleaning a chimney.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 1:20 pm

Ten long heating seasons with each season burning three or more tons of coal a year, I've never had to clean the chimney walls. I vac out what's in the horizontal sections of the stove pipe. Then I shovel out about a two gallon bucket worth of fly ash that drops into the chimney base.

Visual inspections each year through the chimney base cleanout door, with a big Maglite and a mirror, there is no evidence of ash buildup on the bricks.

Paul

Stoker6268
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Stoker6268 » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 5:55 pm

Never had to clean mine with coal. Still see the clay liner fine. For me it would be a waste of time.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 8:11 pm

I have personally seen an 8 inch chimney so plugged with fly ash that there only remained a 2 inch hole in the center. The ash had the consistency of cement and even using a full length of 1 1/4 black pipe would not budge it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 8:18 pm

I do mine every year. Not much build up but it's just something I have always done, wood, coal, whatever. My Dad always said "ya take care of what ya got & it'll take care of you" My 6" brush is real stiff for my solid pipe, I'd be a lil wary with flex--I'd probably look for a less stiff brush--not sure.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 8:47 pm

I think every year it should be at least checked, and since davids is stainless, it should be cleaned in the spring, then checked before lighting in the fall. Birds, squirrels, bee's, and crazy stalkers and thieves have been found in chimneys. But to each their own.

Are you cleaning from the top of the chimney, or going up from near the stove or the cleanout? I have to do one of mine from the inside and just use a flexible rod with a plastic brush on it (Ive read steel brushes can scratch the chimney which can cause more corrosion but who knows). I poke a hole thru a garbage bag with my cleaning rod, then attach the brush, push brush into chimney a few inches, tape the bag onto the chimney pipe, go up and down with the brush a few times, pull out rod with brush into the bag, untape the bag and go outside with it. Not much mess that way. Might be complicated with an insert this way but Im not sure. No roof climbing involved which is nice.

All you should need is a flexible rod and brush to clean from the top.

Edit: you can trim the brush a little if it fits real tight. Just use a side nipper/wire cutter and cut the ends a little.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 8:59 pm

I use brushes on mine when needed. If you burn coal only, the best clean out I remember was a 'you tube' where they used a leaf blower into the thimble, and blew everything out the top!!! I'll bet that got the neighbors attention. I recommend an inspection with a mirror 2 or 3 times per burn season, and, clean if needed.
Cheers

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 9:34 pm

I'll inspect it .. would clean from top if needed.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 10:15 pm

D-frost wrote:I use brushes on mine when needed. If you burn coal only, the best clean out I remember was a 'you tube' where they used a leaf blower into the thimble, and blew everything out the top!!! I'll bet that got the neighbors attention. I recommend an inspection with a mirror 2 or 3 times per burn season, and, clean if needed.
Cheers
Yup, if it's 'youtube' it must be true :P

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Sep. 13, 2015 10:59 pm

I remember the first time I saw that video I almost pee'd my pants laughing. If you watch it, hang in there as it take a little bit to get blowing.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Sep. 14, 2015 6:22 am

franco b wrote:I have personally seen an 8 inch chimney so plugged with fly ash that there only remained a 2 inch hole in the center. The ash had the consistency of cement and even using a full length of 1 1/4 black pipe would not budge it.
This was with anthracite or bit coal? Bit coal I could understand but anthracite? I can't even make my stove smoke much less put out enough hydrocarbons to plug an 8 inch chimney!!!

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Sep. 14, 2015 7:26 am

MA,
That's the 2nd you tube I've seen-amazing! The first was inside blowing out."Different strokes for different folks"!!!
Cheers

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Sep. 14, 2015 11:44 am

blrman07 wrote:
franco b wrote:I have personally seen an 8 inch chimney so plugged with fly ash that there only remained a 2 inch hole in the center. The ash had the consistency of cement and even using a full length of 1 1/4 black pipe would not budge it.
This was with anthracite or bit coal? Bit coal I could understand but anthracite? I can't even make my stove smoke much less put out enough hydrocarbons to plug an 8 inch chimney!!!
Anthracite. Probably running 30 or 40 years. Commercial building, flat roof, no rain cap. Not soot but solidified fly ash very much like you see clinging to bricks in a fire pot after many years and just as hard.

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Beeman » Tue. Sep. 15, 2015 5:45 am

I cleaned my 6" SS liner with brush and flexible rods for last several years. This year I poked through the liner as I think it had been weakened by overheating just above stove connection during several years of wood burning before my enlightenment and switch to coal several years ago. Post by Beeman - Death of a Stainless Steel Liner...

I think good to clean annually to remove fly ash, which can restrict chimney diameter. I typically get about a 1 gallon volume of fly ash from a season of burning. Be careful cleaning a liner if you used to burn wood. I strongly recommend very flexible rods--much easier to work with. Also, wear gloves when handling rods as fiberglass fibers stick in your hands!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”