Looking to Clean My Chimney - Help on Tools Needed

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Sep. 15, 2015 3:29 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
D-frost wrote:I use brushes on mine when needed. If you burn coal only, the best clean out I remember was a 'you tube' where they used a leaf blower into the thimble, and blew everything out the top!!! I'll bet that got the neighbors attention. I recommend an inspection with a mirror 2 or 3 times per burn season, and, clean if needed.
Cheers
Yup, if it's 'youtube' it must be true :P

And he charged $100 to do it I assume.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Sep. 15, 2015 6:55 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:And he charged $100 to do it I assume.
David, not to be a smarta**, but there's a few thing about a business that you apparently don't understand.

First the guy must get the tools to do the job, this includes all the rods and brushes for every size and height of the chimney.

Then he must purchase ladders, and protective harnesses in case he falls.

He must purchase a truck or van to haul all this stuff.

He must purchase a business license.

He must purchase insurance for himself, and the business.

He must advertise.

He must have a place of business, usually a rented building, but if he owns it there are prpoerty taxes and upkeep.

And if he has employees........the cost goes up dramatically due to more insurance, Social security (which the employer pays 50% of.

Then you have the upkeep on the equipment.........that's all the equipment, brushes, rods, ladders, trucks, vans.

All this is before the actual pay for himself, or his employees.

You should feel very fortunate that you are only paying 100 bucks. :)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Sep. 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Don, ya forgot the top-hat & tails--they ain't cheap ;)

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Sep. 15, 2015 7:21 pm

freetown fred wrote:Don, ya forgot the top-hat & tails--they ain't cheap ;)
AW SHOOT..................I knew I missed sumpin :oops:

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Sep. 15, 2015 7:50 pm

SWPaDon , Did you mention that he should actually be making more per hr than someone who is employed & reaps the whole benefit package with no investment ?

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Sep. 15, 2015 7:52 pm

Windyhill4.2 wrote:SWPaDon , Did you mention that he should actually be making more per hr than someone who is employed & reaps the whole benefit package with no investment
Dammit...........you guys is bustin my chops real bad :eek2: ;) toothy

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Sep. 15, 2015 8:04 pm

I think I bought my stuff at Lowes. The fibergass rods are 4' long and screw together, I think I have 5. I bought a square 8" brush for the flue and a 6" round brush for stovepipe. I doubt it cost me $75 but that was almost 20 years ago. That said, I haven't used them on the chimney since I switched to coal but they have been handy at times I must say.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Sep. 15, 2015 8:22 pm

coaledsweat wrote:I think I bought my stuff at Lowes. The fibergass rods are 4' long and screw together, I think I have 5. I bought a square 8" brush for the flue and a 6" round brush for stovepipe. I doubt it cost me $75 but that was almost 20 years ago. That said, I haven't used them on the chimney since I switched to coal but they have been handy at times I must say.
I purchased the same set :up:

WNYRob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Post by WNYRob » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 7:54 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:Hi gang,

Looking to cut the cord on these goofy chimney sweepers - do it myself !

Any tips? I have vacuum etc .... wondering about a proper brush selection for 6" flex liner.
You definitely need to clean your chimney every spring, after shut down. With a stainless steel liner, it will corrode quickly if the fly ash is left to absorb moisture and humidity during the summer. It sounds like the guys that are saying you don't need to clean your liner, have clay chimneys that won't corrode. I have a stainless steel liner made from 3' sections of solid, 6" pipe. I brush the liner out every spring with a wire chimney brush until the the liner is shiny again. The fly ash gets caked on the sides pretty well, so it takes some effort to really get it clean. Then I spray the top, as far down as I can, with fluid film. I also leave the top and bottom open but I have a fairly dry basement, so the natural draft in the chimney continually pulls the dryer basement air through the chimney. I am not sure what you would use for a flexible liner, not sure if it would stand up to a stiff wire brush. Also, since the inside isn't perfectly smooth, I am not sure if you would be able to get every bit of it clean.

Stoker6268
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Stoker6268 » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 12:25 pm

I cleaned flexible liners used for coal in the past using a rag mop head. Works great! Gentle on liner and if you have the mop head and rope, costs nothing . First you lower a rope with a weight on it down the chimney. Tie rag mop to the end of the rope, and pull the rag mop down the chimney. Only thing to look for, if you have protruding screws, the mop can snag on the screws.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Stoker6268 wrote:I cleaned flexible liners used for coal in the past using a rag mop head. Works great! Gentle on liner and if you have the mop head and rope, costs nothing . First you lower a rope with a weight on it down the chimney. Tie rag mop to the end of the rope, and pull the rag mop down the chimney. Only thing to look for, if you have protruding screws, the mop can snag on the screws.
I like this idea. Never done it, but I like the sounds of it.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 4:55 pm

David, being you have a Hitzer insert, of course you have to clean from top down. Do not use a steel brush, only nylon as steel will abrade the stainless. And you don't have the option of a mirror because of your set-up. Just use a nylon brush and a flexible rod. Then give it a couple of swipes; and you should be good to go. Another option is to tie a live chicken on a rope, lower it into the flue and yell SHOOO!!!
Should be good to go. :D
Jim

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 5:19 pm

coalder wrote:David, being you have a Hitzer insert, of course you have to clean from top down. Do not use a steel brush, only nylon as steel will abrade the stainless. And you don't have the option of a mirror because of your set-up. Just use a nylon brush and a flexible rod. Then give it a couple of swipes; and you should be good to go. Another option is to tie a live chicken on a rope, lower it into the flue and yell SHOOO!!!
Should be good to go. :D
Jim
Live chicken ? Zounds like a plan ! Wondering about flexible v. nonflex for the brush attachment .... I got about 20-25 ft to do.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Sep. 18, 2015 6:16 am

Definitely flexible!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”