Downside to Free Coal

TLC lover
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, Stove Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil 3:), Wood if i feel frisky!

Post by TLC lover » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 2:31 am

I'm jealous. Wish I could find someone giving away free coal.......LOL

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 2:56 am

I was headed out to install a water heater yesterday and got to the corner where the big dump trucks hauling coal turn. There to my wondering eyes should appear was a large pile of coal laying in the center of my lane. :shock: This is a route that the trucks use coming from the Keystone strippings to go to the Blaschack breaker in Mahanoy City Pa. This appeared to be ROM coal as it was BIG chunks. They were about fist size and larger. I filled up 6 buckets and the rest I shoveled into the bed of the truck. The guy that was with me helped me get the bigger pieces in the truck. The bigger pieces averaged about basketball size. There was one about the size of a car engine. We couldn't lift it. We rolled it out of the road and put it on the other side of a guard rail in some weeds.

I borrowed a sledge hammer and I'll be going back today to bust it up and bring it home. If I can find some batteries for my camera I'll snap some photo's. I'll have some hammering to do on the larger pieces but free coal is free coal..

I'll take it. :D

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 3:28 am

blrman07 wrote:I was headed out to install a water heater yesterday and got to the corner where the big dump trucks hauling coal turn. There to my wondering eyes should appear was a large pile of coal laying in the center of my lane. :shock: This is a route that the trucks use coming from the Keystone strippings to go to the Blaschack breaker in Mahanoy City Pa. This appeared to be ROM coal as it was BIG chunks. They were about fist size and larger. I filled up 6 buckets and the rest I shoveled into the bed of the truck. The guy that was with me helped me get the bigger pieces in the truck. The bigger pieces averaged about basketball size. There was one about the size of a car engine. We couldn't lift it. We rolled it out of the road and put it on the other side of a guard rail in some weeds.

I borrowed a sledge hammer and I'll be going back today to bust it up and bring it home. If I can find some batteries for my camera I'll snap some photo's. I'll have some hammering to do on the larger pieces but free coal is free coal..

I'll take it. :D
What a find :clap: I'm glad you got it.

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 8:38 am

We need pictures of this one!!

coalminerfarmerbob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: florin #116 pot belly

Post by coalminerfarmerbob » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 11:40 am

sounds like someone had their tailgate pop open on the corner, a good twist of the truck body will do it. Enjoy the free heat.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Oct. 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Thats almost as good as a beer truck door coming open! :lol:

Luck was with you!

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Oct. 07, 2015 6:42 am

Been under the weather the last couple of days. Still not feeling up to swinging a sledge. :cry: I went by the corner on the way home and 1/2 that big lump is gone. Looks like someone else got to it before I did. Anyway there is still a chunk the size of a large microwave oven there. Sharing the bounty with others makes you feel kinda good. Kind of like gleaning described in the bible only this is coal and not wheat.

I got to try and not get myself wiped out today so I can go by and hammer it to smaller chucks so I can get it in the truck. Or I may leave it there for anyone else that could use it. I got enough for us. What I salvaged will power us for about 2 weeks of straight hot burning.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 07, 2015 9:59 am

Kinda like the coal stove version of casting bread upon the waters. ;)

Paul

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”