Big Time Coal Handling

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Sat. Aug. 08, 2015 8:09 pm

I did a little searching, and did not find anything here but questions. There are a bunch if youtubes on coal unloading in big ways. Ships, rotary railroad car spinners,... etc. This is interesting to actually see how the world functions using coal. Do your own search, there are too many to list, there are many different ways that things are done. But this really shows how much the world relies on coal. On a side note, if the government overregulates and limits coal use, our economy/ the world economy, will be Doomed.

....unloading a ship hole

....spinning rail car

loading a ship, the fast way....

..... AC/DC Thunder

I better stop

one more, biggest bucket wheel in the world,...

Last edited by alpineboard on Sun. Aug. 09, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Aug. 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Interesting videos, the 2ed video was something I never would have thought of. The old hopper rail cars with the door on the floor are no good anymore??

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Aug. 09, 2015 1:02 am

Some 20 odd years ago I worked on a construction job at PPL Electric's Brunner Island power plant (on the Susquehanna River near Elizabethtown PA.) They had a car flipper back then and a radio remote controlled shuttle engine to move the cars. Four guys could dump a car every couple of minutes. I forget how many hundred of cars they said they dumped in a day, but they had a mountain of coal there they moved with scrapers and dozers.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Aug. 09, 2015 8:42 am

The rotary dumping as shown was invented by L C N many years ago .L C N used a swivel coupling an the next car remained stationary .Lehigh did not patent the idea as it benefited the industry .I have an old black ab an white video showing the rotary dumper in action .I will look an post the date .Jack coal historian .

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”