Wiison's Wood Stoves Communication Breakdown - Help Please!

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19
Other Heating: Oil

Post by chrisbuick » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Guys - Sad story - I left my Crawford No. 2 base heater with Wilson Mull in May of 2014. We had a lovely tour of his home/shop and he promised to do a complete restoration of it for my wife and I. He said I didn't need a receipt, nor did he quote me a price, which made me uncomfortable.

I waited patiently to hear about it through the Fall, but no update. I inquired a few times as to progress and price and finally got a response in January, 2015. He said the stove was done, but it was snowed in the outside shed till Spring. He also indicated he'd like to buy the stove, if I couldn't afford the cost ($@1,300). The price was fine, but for the heck of it I asked if he'd be interested in a partial trade for a Glenwood Oak 50 I have. A year before I had traded Emery and Brandon a bunch of stoves - no problem - everything went smoothly.

Wilson seemed mildly interested in the trade (I sent him a bunch of pictures), but has never given me an answer nor an adjusted price for the restoration.

I have called and left messages and PM'd him - no answer.

I've had some extra IRS payments I've had to make, so my funds are tight. But, I really want my restored stove, hopefully in August.

What do I do? Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, anything??? I've never had a problem like this before.

Thanks for looking - Chris

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Show up on his door with $1300 and enough to get the stove out and home. Pay him his $1300 and take the stove.

What's this issue?

chrisbuick
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 6 BH, Crawfords No.2 & 3 BH, Hub Heater 115 Circulator, Crawford Wood 19

Post by chrisbuick » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 6:34 pm

I could do that, but he's often on the road buying stoves. Also, It's a three hour drive for us.

Plus, he's never given me a firm price (forget about the trade).

Hopefully someone who's dealt with Wilson will respond.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 6:51 pm

There are members closer to him that should be willing to help ya out. Kinda bums ya out don't it. My readings on here about Wilson's have to present always been pretty up-beat. Possibly he's sick, on vacation, etc--just some options.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 7:11 pm

Strange...I've heard nothing but good things about the old chap. Every time I ring him he answers too! We end up chewing each other's ear off on every telephone conversation. In fact, I'm going to his house tomorrow to drop off parts of my PP Stewart 14 to be welded.

I'll probably end up just having him finish it for me as my work schedule is too crazy right now.

I'm sure everything with your situation is on the level.

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Scott - Since you're going there tomorrow, would you mention my stove to him and let me know what he says.

Thanks - Chris

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 7:34 pm

Ok, but try calling him again too.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Chris

Wilson is a class act. I am sure everything will work out.

Stoker6268
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Stoker6268 » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Sounds like you were quoted $1300 Keep calling and tell him you will pick up in August. Sounds like the trade isnt going to happen.

chrisbuick

Post by chrisbuick » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Good News - I spoke with Wilson and all is well!!!

He actually still has some odds and ends to finish on the stove AND he wants the Glenwood 50. So, my wife and I are very relieved. He says the stove is like new - fantastic!

Thanks for everyone's ideas and help - Chris

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Fri. Jul. 24, 2015 7:44 am

Chrisbuick,
I think it was a 'speed bump'!
Wilson is one of the finest gentleman, you will ever find. My experience with Wilson was all positive. Not only did I get a great antique stove, but an education in 'stove history'. When the transaction was complete, the last thing he said was, "It's a good stove, any problems, we'll make it right"
Cheers

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Fri. Jul. 24, 2015 8:23 pm

I saw your stove today Chris... :D

You'd better go get it soon as it gives me fond memories :woot: :eek2: :clap:

Wilson truly is a gentleman and a scholar.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”