New EPA Regs Went Into Effect 5/31/2015

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Tue. Jul. 14, 2015 10:23 am

I saw these new regs on a youtube video that was produced by a outside wood boiler manufacturer. I can not seem to find that link again. But the emission limits have been reduced drastically, woodstoves from 12 to 3 u gram/meter cubed. wood boilers took a big hit as well. Wood air furnaces took the biggest hit, from 120 to 10. My numbers might be off a bit, I wish I could find that link again, sorry.
Now you are ok because you are grandfathered. But new stove makers have to revamp. And in some cases it is leading to , the end user has no control over the input air damper, the stove needs to fire full open to pass. So that means open all your windows and , quote, burn baby burn. And burn more wood overall. It seems to me, that when you over regulate something past its capabilities, you get a catch 22. (in some cases.) But do not worry, the big giant head will stroke you and make you feel good while your doing it.
I believe I need to do some more research on this topic, as well as all of us here, because you know who will be next, and yes they can regulate us, by regulating the source, fees/taxes/surcharges/ transport fees/transfer fees/ particulate tax/smog fee/ clean air mandate.
Any one else with some good searching capabilities, please jump in. To be continued...

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Jul. 14, 2015 10:45 am

alpineboard wrote:I saw these new regs on a youtube video that was produced by a outside wood boiler manufacturer. I can not seem to find that link again. But the emission limits have been reduced drastically, woodstoves from 12 to 3 u gram/meter cubed. wood boilers took a big hit as well. Wood air furnaces took the biggest hit, from 120 to 10. My numbers might be off a bit, I wish I could find that link again, sorry.
Now you are ok because you are grandfathered. But new stove makers have to revamp. And in some cases it is leading to , the end user has no control over the input air damper, the stove needs to fire full open to pass. So that means open all your windows and , quote, burn baby burn. And burn more wood overall. It seems to me, that when you over regulate something past its capabilities, you get a catch 22. (in some cases.) But do not worry, the big giant head will stroke you and make you feel good while your doing it.
I believe I need to do some more research on this topic, as well as all of us here, because you know who will be next, and yes they can regulate us, by regulating the source, fees/taxes/surcharges/ transport fees/transfer fees/ particulate tax/smog fee/ clean air mandate.
Any one else with some good searching capabilities, please jump in. To be continued...
EPA Announcement - EPA Banning Outdoor Wood Furnaces

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jul. 14, 2015 10:49 am

I won't be surprised to see an increase in coal stove demand as a result. ;)

Could possibly be why Tractor Supply is also getting into the coal sales business ?

Paul

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 7:34 am

http://www2.epa.gov/residential-wood-heaters/fina ... od-heaters
This looks like the origin. I am going to poke around and see about coal burners regs.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Shouldn't be any "specifically" for anthracite.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 2:32 pm

some Congressional hearing snip .. "can we keep the stove he have now?" ... (like healthcare promise) LOL

EPA, a nightmare agency....

Maybe that you can still build your own stove w/o violating any regulation. [oh, wait, the regs do apply to end-users --https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/03/ ... eaters-and - update]

Welders ready ! Flame on!

And you can see in the link above the note in the federal register .. this makes it law. No need for posting on any website or in any CFR .... a notation in the register is good enough ___ SCOTUS made this decision years ago, a decision that essentially makes everyone unknowledgeable about the laws that they are supposed to follow. There is no 14th amendment anymore in respect to the production of laws from the viewpoint of the gov't. Me? I have seen laws passed in such manners that shock anyone's conscience.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 2:56 pm

Call me an outlaw. Just buy the unit and modify it to burn how ya want it to. No biggie. :)

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Get ready for your EPA inspections people !

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/03/ ... eaters-and

As the regulations state:

Wood heater under this subpart means an enclosed, wood burning-appliance capable of and intended for residential central heating or central heating and domestic water heating. Unless otherwise specified, these devices include, but are not limited to, hydronic heaters and forced-air furnaces.

All of our coal stoves are wood heaters...or at least that is how the EPA will read the regulation. Can you burn wood for heating? It does not say "designed for wood", just that it is CAPABLE.

So these regs apply to all stoves that can burn wood..

What you going to do when they come to your door to take measurements? Best just slam the door w/o comment.

Then wait for the warrant.....it would be easily gotten.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Got paperwork to prove when you installed your stove? Did it yourself--well your testimony does not amount to a hill of beans.

they'll monitor your chimney and say "your output appears to be that of or consistent with a wood burning appliance; let us in"

Am I being a cynic? Or prophet?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 3:12 pm

They won't see any smoke from my chimney hahaha

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Same here ... unless a tire or 2 falls into my stove. That happens from time to time ... :whistle:

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Lightning wrote:They won't see any smoke from my chimney hahaha
Heat .. it puts out heat, easily detectable from off most people's property line...even visually even though no smoke is present. Via visual or temp readings .... they'll get ya....

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 4:29 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:Wood heater under this subpart means an enclosed, wood burning-appliance capable of and intended for residential central heating or central heating and domestic water heating. Unless otherwise specified, these devices include, but are not limited to, hydronic heaters and forced-air furnaces.
You have to read that again David. It does not say capable of burning wood, but rather refers to central heating. Most coal stoves are not central heating appliances.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 4:52 pm

Wood heater means an enclosed, wood burning-appliance capable of and intended for residential space heating or space heating and domestic water heating.

from the regs further -- covers all, not just central heat .... again our coal stoves are capable of burning wood ... and some folks here do burn wood instead of coal usually for seasonal reasons.

I think the EPA would have to interpret our coal stoves into these regs, otherwise people would just buy "coal stoves" and then just burn wood. As the guy said in the video .... EPA compliant stoves will become more expensive.

Who rolls their own smokes because pipe tobacco is 2-4 fold cheaper than cigarettes made by Camel?

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jul. 15, 2015 4:59 pm

SMITTY wrote:Same here ... unless a tire or 2 falls into my stove. That happens from time to time ... :whistle:
OOPS ! There rolled another tire into the fire ! Oh well, just saved me a whopping $5 disposal fee. LOL

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”