China Slows Coal Use...More for Us?

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. May. 23, 2015 6:07 am

Interesting article about the largest coal user in the world. Granted they get a lot of their coal from domestic mines and Viet Nam but I know Blaschak and other anthracite producers ship to China for high grade steel and coke production.

Could this mean more available for domestic use and price drops? Will supply and demand take over again?

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/22/8645455/china-emissi ... -coal-drop

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Sat. May. 23, 2015 12:17 pm

the dealer where I bought my ds 1500 sells reading/and blashack said that reading sold very larg amounts of there coal to china and in turn sold us the second grade coal to us well at least in bag form thats all he has and he had a lot of complaints on his reading last year !!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. May. 23, 2015 1:37 pm

blrman07 wrote:Blaschak and other anthracite producers ship to China for high grade steel and coke production.
Coke is made from bituminous.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. May. 23, 2015 1:42 pm

If the Chinese demand drops off precipitously and the home heating demand does not pick up the slack, wouldn't that cause the price of coal to rise? The only way for the anthracite mines to offset such a loss in demand as China brings would be to raise prices domestically. Realistically, if they lower prices domestically it will not add to demand (soon at least, as such things take years) so they will take an immediate double hit if they lower domestic pricing on top of China killing their production.

coalfan

Post by coalfan » Sat. May. 23, 2015 2:04 pm

but if they need or want to move it wouldnt they keep the prices at a competitive rate or as is and maybe even a little cheaper?

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. May. 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Keep in mind as long as im from Schuykill county Q. I T . uebec iron an titanium has been buying 400000 ton a year .Also Nucor steel co . is a big buyer .Also India ia a buyer .A deep mine miner has told me if industrial buyers were not there an the coal industry had to depend on home heating They Would Close .Im half hour from all the major producers an you can take this comment as Gospel . jack from Coaldale

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. May. 23, 2015 3:33 pm

I could see the mines closing if the steel industry tanks. I don't have the figures, but my guess (worthless as it is) is that home heating is only 5% to 10% of total production.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. May. 25, 2015 8:58 pm

coalfan wrote:the dealer where I bought my ds 1500 sells reading/and blashack said that reading sold very larg amounts of there coal to china and in turn sold us the second grade coal to us well at least in bag form thats all he has and he had a lot of complaints on his reading last year !!
Reading doesn't value it's bagged customers very much...maybe they don't care, some fool will always step up for a bargain price. :idea:
Works every time. :roll:

coalfan

Post by coalfan » Mon. May. 25, 2015 9:09 pm

yep you just said it all !!!!!

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. May. 25, 2015 11:09 pm

This:
Den034071 wrote:.if industrial buyers were not there an(d) the coal industry had to depend on home heating They Would Close .
Obama is behind this:
Interesting article about the largest coal user in the world. Granted they get a lot of their coal from domestic mines and Viet Nam but I know Blaschak and other anthracite producers ship to China for high grade steel and coke production.

Could this mean more available for domestic use and price drops? Will supply and demand take over again?

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”