CO Detectors in EVERY Home

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Sun. Mar. 01, 2015 8:55 pm

This is why you need CO detectors in every home - not just those that burn solid fuels:
Ohio children sick for days before 3 died from carbon monoxide in home
http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2015/03/ohio ... ys_be.html

And educate yourself on the symptoms of CO poisoning.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Mar. 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Good post, I have five...

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 12:46 pm

NY STATE I believe it's a law you have to have one. I have 4, one on each level. along with smoke detectors.

I remember this back in 2009...it was up in Buffalo.

" In August, 2009 New York State passed Amanda’s Law, which is named for a 16-year-old girl who died on January 17, 2009, due to a carbon monoxide leak from a defective boiler while she was sleeping at a friend’s house. Amanda’s Law requires that every one or two-family dwelling, condominium, cooperative and each unit of a multiple dwelling shall have an operable carbon monoxide (CO) detector. Under Amanda’s Law, homes built before January 1, 2008 are permitted to have battery-powered CO alarms, while homes built after this date are required to have the alarms hard-wired into the building. Additionally, Amanda’s Law requires contractors to install a CO alarm when replacing a hot water tank or furnace if the home is not equipped with an alarm. CO detectors are required only if the dwelling unit has appliances, devices or systems that may emit carbon monoxide or there is an attached garage."

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Of course everyone on this site should have CO detectors cause they are presumably burning coal. But anyone who has any type of combustion appliance in their home or even if they do not but have an attached garage, they should have CO detectors in their homes. I've got 4 which are interconnected electric with battery backup and are dual smoke and CO units. I've got a 5th CO unit right in the boiler room but not interconnected with the other units. Something else to keep in mind it that these units do not last forever. Smoke detectors sensor are unreliable after 10 years and should be replaced. most CO units have sensors that are reliable for 5-7 years and then should be replaced.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Good post Horace. I got 4--2 plug in & 2 battery.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if NY did make it a law. Smoke detectors have been required for decades.

23 years ago, I couldn't get an updated Certificate of Occupancy to be able to sell my home on Long Island until the code enforcement officer saw how many and where I had smoke detectors. I'm sure by now the same for CO detectors.

Got two CO detectors in the hot air convection pathway, one near the stove, and one at the top of the stairs in the hall outside bed rooms.

And seven smoke detectors on four levels.

Paul

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Both are law in MA - CO and smoke.

But then again, what ISN'T law in MA? :funny:

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Smoke and CO2 detectors are fine to have but I don't think the gov't should mandate them....now how they going to enforce these laws? Unwarranted searches?

Gravel Road

Post by Gravel Road » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 7:18 pm

Yes, In NY they are required. When you Sell a house you need to show proof of one. Most people buy 1 per level from Home Depot or such, leave them in the package on the kitchen counter and save the receipt with the Real Estate Sale Paperwork.

We had two kids die this past fall when the Father used a generator for power, he set up the portable unit by an open window.

There is no cure for Stupid.

Preemo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer Model 710

Post by Preemo » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 8:37 pm

its sad reading those stories.

my wife thinks i'm nuts, but I have a wired smoke/co detector on every floor (also in the bedrooms) along with 1 plug in on every floor including the basement.

Preemo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer Model 710

Post by Preemo » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 8:39 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:Smoke and CO2 detectors are fine to have but I don't think the gov't should mandate them....now how they going to enforce these laws? Unwarranted searches?
just like anything else. New home purchases would need to have them to pass inspection. And then anyone else would have to abide to the law on their own, and when its too late they can place the blame on you for not following the mandate

its just like anything else they force down your throat.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Mar. 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Why can't the new home owner install there own.. I don't get this Law, it's like you can't sell unless all the light bulbs work..

Soon you won't be able to sell your house unless its well insulated...

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 03, 2015 9:07 am

grumpy wrote:Why can't the new home owner install there own.. I don't get this Law, it's like you can't sell unless all the light bulbs work..

Already there grumpy.

If your buyer is getting a government loan,,, or you live in places like Calif. I couldn't believe how much nit-picky stuff my sister had to have done to her place, plus also provide a house warrantee, just to sell here house in Carmel.

When we sold my father's house here, 10 years ago, the buyers got their mortgage through the Government Fanny May/Fanny Mac program that brought down the economy. If we wanted that sale to go through, we had to repaint everything that might have lead paint and/or chipping, or pealing - even though there were no young children moving in. Install new smoke detectors. Replace any roofing that was older than a certain number of years, even if it was ok. Remove, or encapsulate all asbestoses. All the house systems had to be properly functioning. No dripping faucets, or shutoff valves. A long list of requirements and none of it negotiable like in the past. And the banks put just about the same restrictions on it before they'll give a morgage. There was no way we could sell the house in "as is" condition except to a cash sale.

Paul

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Mar. 03, 2015 10:56 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
grumpy wrote:Why can't the new home owner install there own.. I don't get this Law, it's like you can't sell unless all the light bulbs work..

Already there grumpy.

If your buyer is getting a government loan,,, or you live in places like Calif. I couldn't believe how much nit-picky stuff my sister had to have done to her place, plus also provide a house warrantee, just to sell here house in Carmel.

When we sold my father's house here, 10 years ago, the buyers got their mortgage through the Government Fanny May/Fanny Mac program that brought down the economy. If we wanted that sale to go through, we had to repaint everything that might have lead paint and/or chipping, or pealing - even though there were no young children moving in. Install new smoke detectors. Replace any roofing that was older than a certain number of years, even if it was ok. Remove, or encapsulate all asbestoses. All the house systems had to be properly functioning. No dripping faucets, or shutoff valves. A long list of requirements and none of it negotiable like in the past. And the banks put just about the same restrictions on it before they'll give a morgage. There was no way we could sell the house in "as is" condition except to a cash sale.

Paul
Most of this is nothing new. FHA and VA backed loans have always had to have such repairs and corrections made. I've been in this industry for about 26 years and this has been the case for all of that time. Home warranties are optional. Someone did some arm twisting there. But lead paint and asbestos remediation, smoke detectors have been required all of that time.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Mar. 03, 2015 11:06 am

Even one of the richest and most famous men in America, Walt Disney, couldn't stop this from happening.

"Flora Disney died in 1938 in an accident that plagued her son Walt with grief for the rest of his life. After the success of their film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, in 1938, Walt and Roy presented their parents with a new home in North Hollywood, near the Disney studios in Burbank, California. Less than a month after moving in, Flora complained to Walt and Roy of problems with the gas furnace in her new home. Studio repairmen were sent to the house, but the problem was not adequately fixed. Flora wrote a letter to her daughter Ruth describing the wonderful new home, but again complaining of the fumes from the furnace. A few days later, Flora died of asphyxiation caused by the fumes at age 70. She is entombed next to her husband in Glendale's Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_Call_Disney

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”