Blaschak Coal Initial Review

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Jun. 04, 2008 6:36 pm

WIcoal -- I found this for Coopersburg -- sounds like they can provide the "missing link" between people who want to buy high-quality bulk coal but have it bagged and shipped to them. I have not contacted them so I don't know how small a quantity they will handle nor what the costs are. In theory you could buy from UAE or whomever, have it shipped to Coopersburg and bagged and then shipped on to you.

http://members.fortunecity.com/cbc13/id20.htm
Coopersburg Bagging Company -- quotation from above site.
"Bulk coal is transported directly to our facility via truck. The product is dumped inside our warehouse in concrete bunkers and is processed though our bagging system. The material is generally bagged into 50# white woven polypropylene bags with the coal mine/sales company logo on the outside of each bag. Coal can be bagged in weights as low as 40# bags and as high as 3000# super sacks....An order can be placed though the coal mine/sales company of your choice or you may call Coopersburg Bagging Company directly. When placing an order be sure to know what size coal you wish to purchase. Coopersburg Bagging Company, Inc. will bag and sell coal for customers interested."

garyk2303

Post by garyk2303 » Sat. Sep. 13, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi everyone I made a trip to Blaschak yesterday 9-13-08 with my pull behind dump trailer. I got 3.5 ton of nut coal for my Harman Elite insert at $180.00 a ton. This will be my first time burning Blaschak coal, however I have heard good things about this coal. I normally burn South Tamaqua coal, but decided to try something different this year!

deerhunter1225

Post by deerhunter1225 » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 10:18 am

LsFarm wrote:Can you store bulk coal?? Or want to bag a few tons yourself?? I know it is a hike to the breakers, but you can get some of the best coal around from a breaker that will allow you to bagg on the site, as long as you stay out of the way of the other traffic..

The next coal run I make, I'm going to take my tri-axle trailer, and 7-8 of the one ton 'bulk sacks' available on Ebay. I will be able to move the baggs with my tractor/loader, and store them out of the sun, I think you have a tractor, can you keep a tarp over the bulk sacks to keep the sun from ruining the bag??? Coal at the breaker is $140/ton... The bulk sacks are $10.25 each if you buy 4 at a time...just got my second 4 via fedex yesterday. $41 shipped.

Take care,, Greg L

Hi Greg, can you please give us some contact info on the breaker you have mentioned? Thank you, Deerhunter.

garyk2303

Post by garyk2303 » Fri. Feb. 06, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi everyone I too tried Blaschak nut coal this year in a Harman insert. Never again for me, I noticed a temperature drop of around 100 degrees. The stove also needs more of a draft to get decent heat out of it. Oh ya and the ashes I am emptying everyday. The bad news is I bought 3.5 tons from their breaker in October. I figured I would get enough for the winter, I have burned through about 2.5 ton so far. Next year I will buy 1-2 ton at a shot, if it is bad I will not be stuck with as much!

shortnsassy64
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon 1
Coal Size/Type: variety experimenting
Other Heating: wood pellets and electric heat

Post by shortnsassy64 » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 10:37 am

e.alleg wrote:I was burning Reading for the last few months, unhappy with the large chunks and general inconsistency I bought some Blaschak ... So far it's not looking good for Blaschak- less heat yet more money. We'll see after I burn through the full ton.
WOW! I thought I was crazy! I've been burning this coal the last few years and last year and this year alone I was blaming the poor heat output on poor insulation (which is true) exta super cold temps (also true) and weirdly wetter coal than usual! So, I am not the only one noticing my coals aren't as hot as I have seen them?

I've always used this brand, as I figured all coal was alike. Apparently I am wrong?? Coal $220 a ton I thought was cheap and now I am seeing online I can get it cheaper delivered??!!!

I have struggled day and night with these coals from Hoke Mills. They burn cold (piss poor heat - struggles in the 60's and 70's) I've noticed lots of klunkers, and I have to leave my bottom grate open to let the air in to make sure the heat goes on highest efficiency if I want it to burn. When it burns, the first 2 days range in heat from late 90 degrees to 80's. I get a nice white ash. After that, it's a down hill struggle with lots of klunkers and clogging of the grates. I must continuously reclean the whole stove every 3 days and start again. I'm baffled. I think I'm going to try a different coal if I can find some.

shortnsassy64
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon 1
Coal Size/Type: variety experimenting
Other Heating: wood pellets and electric heat

Post by shortnsassy64 » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 10:51 am

Razzler wrote:IThe ash seemed to be higher the I expected, I didn't figer it out but a guess would be 12% maybe. I may have just got a bad couple of bags
I've noticed something about ash. This year I experimented with rice, pea, and nut coals a day. Rice coal I get about a 1/4 of a bag of ash a day (I reuse the bags they come in to dump the cooled off ashes), Pea - 1/4 to 1/2 a bag ash, and nut, almost a full bag a day using Blaschak. I burn about 1-1 1/4 bags a day which to me is expensive. Rice and Pea burn quicker. Nut coal will burn well when started with wood, but then seems to struggle too much.

I mix coals. Once the pea nut is burning real well, I might add rice to top off. If I'm going out, I use nut coal in hopes that it will burn longer. Well, it seems no matter what I use, I'm adding coals every 2 -3 hours and shaking the grills to get those nasty klunkers out. Maybe if I had a better coal, if there really is one, I wouldn't be struggling to keep the heat? Fires seem to burn well but eat seems piss poor, which is why I am adding coals all the time.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 07, 2015 10:56 am

Sometimes I'm thinkin that people expect way more out of their stoves then they are ball parked for-- almost 2 weeks straight of -20/30* -- the HOTZER never burped, I put my thermo up a couple #'s, used maybe 5-8 lbs. more Blaschak nut/stove mix with nary a problem. Personally, I could care less about ash content, I'm looking for consistent heat. 2200 sq OLD farm house stays at 72*. Welcome to the FORUM S&S.:)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”