Is Harmon That Busy?

Oil Region

Post by Oil Region » Sun. Mar. 05, 2006 3:29 pm

Pap wrote: He is selling alot more pellet stoves this year. He said people just don't want to fool around with a coal stove.
Pap
That's fine with me. Should help keep coal prices down if there isn't the spike in demand like there has been for Pellets this year. Supply and Demand. Bags of Pellets are normally around $3 per bag. Right now, if you can find them at a distance, they can be $7 to $10 per bag.

I haven't checked in the past month, but I don't think bagged coal has gone up much in my area.

Troy

Pap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Pap » Sun. Mar. 05, 2006 6:11 pm

Bagged nut coal in my area is around $4.00 per bag. Wood pellets are $7.50 to $8.50 if anyone has them to sell.

Pap

rouxzy
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut / Anthracite

Post by rouxzy » Mon. Mar. 06, 2006 4:08 am

Actually, the pellets have come back down in price around here. They were up to around $6.00/bag now they are back down to $2.50/bag. But then again the only production facility in the NorthEast is right here in New Hampshire. You guys in PA have the coal, we in NH have the pellets. I'ld rather have the coal.
Tom

Coal Dust

Post by Coal Dust » Mon. Mar. 06, 2006 10:43 am

I went to Home Depot on Friday to pick-up a piece of 6" stainless steel flue pipe. I go to the area in the store where I have seen them for months. I see nothing, no flue pipe, no wood or pellet stoves, no gaskets, cement, etc etc. I ask one of the store clerks where they were moved? He said "none left" I said what do you mean none left? nothing at all? No stoves or stove pipe? No wood pellets and other misc stuff? He said "nothing, all gone" I asked him when they would be getting some more in. He stated "we're not... the season is over" "OVER" I say... "It's March 3rd and 19 degrees out! He said "Take it up with the store manager" and walked away.

Whats up with that??

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Mar. 06, 2006 11:15 am

Blame Wal-Mart... There's more truth to that than you would believe. One of the reasons Wal-Mart makes such a great profit is because they have streamlined the stocking of their shelves, they don't have stockrooms like most stores. Direct from the manufacturer or their distribution centers to the store shelves. Other stores have adopted this policy to stay competitive, they try and avoid overstocking... The downside is that if something is a seasonal product like that you're not going to find it...

I do find it odd though that they wouldn't stock basic things such as pipe and other misc items. The stoves and fuel I can see.

rouxzy
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut / Anthracite

Post by rouxzy » Mon. Mar. 06, 2006 3:37 pm

That is why there are still hardware stores where you can get these items year round. Thank goodness.
Tom

Oo-v-oO
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ashley 7150-F
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut/Stove

Post by Oo-v-oO » Mon. Mar. 06, 2006 4:38 pm

A couple of weeks ago HD here in NH was having a 1/2 price sale on their remaining stoves, probably to make room for the lawnmowers and rototillers.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”