Thanks Coalberner

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Feb. 11, 2008 1:25 pm

BugsyR wrote:Having dreams of doing the same but I have to ask....How much did you pay per ton for each (nut and buck)?
140.00 A ton For all sizes except Barley 130.00 a Ton :)

BugsyR
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker

Post by BugsyR » Mon. Feb. 11, 2008 2:49 pm

Thanks!! Info much appreciated!

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Once again thanks to JC for his help in another successful coal run today.
First we went to UAE Harmony for a ton of nut for the hand-fed. The plan was to then go to Superior for another ton for my stoker. As we were leaving UAE, 2 trucks from one of Blaschak's facility (across from UAE) pulled out, one dropped a large rock onto the road. JC saw it, I didn't (was looking over at Blaschak's operation). Blew out the RR tire and bent the rim.
JC was in his truck, he went on to Superior and got the coal for me while I changed the tire. We then chuted the buck coal into the trailer from his truck.
A long day, but worth it.
We didn't get the info on the truck, otherwise I would be sending Blaschak a bill.
DSCN1367.JPG

Blowed up tire and bent rim, $$$$$$,

.JPG | 673.4KB | DSCN1367.JPG
DSCN1369.JPG

The haul.

.JPG | 636.9KB | DSCN1369.JPG

Attachments

truck.jpg

Coal transfer

.JPG | 289.4KB | truck.jpg

spc

Post by spc » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 9:16 am

Why is Superior better for a stoker than UAE? Thanks.

Charlie Z

Post by Charlie Z » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 9:49 am

Wn'C,

Nich haul. How much is that in the uhaul trailer? I thinkin those are a nice solution. I don't want another trailer in the yard...

- Charlie

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 10:22 am

UAE coal is processed in a dry breaker, the coal is not washed,, and seems to have more dry powdery fines in it... this can for some stokers cause problems with the mechanism..

Plus, the Superior coal burns a bit hotter,, so with a stoker, it automaticly adjusts for heat output if it is hooked to a thermostat... in a hand feed, in the fall and spring, burning a coal that burns slightly cooler, and needs a bit more air, will keep the chimney warmer, the draft better, and not cook you out of the house...

Greg L.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 10:25 am

spc wrote:Why is Superior better for a stoker than UAE? Thanks.
Superior burns hotter and faster, good for the stoker since the time on the grate is limited, you get more complete burning of the coal and a lot of heat, you can adjust the burn rate (feed) as needed.
I was burning Superior in the hand-fed as well during the colder weather. Coalberner suggested UAE as it gives more moderate heat and longer burn times/less ash, perfect for the weather we are currently having.
So far he is right.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 10:33 am

Charlie Z wrote:Wn'C,

Nich haul. How much is that in the uhaul trailer? I thinkin those are a nice solution. I don't want another trailer in the yard...

- Charlie
It has .99/ton of nut from UAE and 1600 lbs. of buck from Superior. Way over the limit listed by U-Haul for the trailer, but the axle still has travel. I made sure the tires were inflated properly and checked the general condition of the trailer and the tires first. I think they intentionally state a considerably lower weight capacity . The last, larger trailer I rented from U-Haul was a dual axle and could hold a lot more. That model is hard to find. Seems most dealers have this one. They both are $29.95/day.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of a spare tire. I questioned U-Haul about this and they said if a flat occurs to call the 800 number on the rental contract and someone would be sent out to fix it. So instead of changing it myself and getting back on the road in 15-20 minutes, I would have to wait however long for the repair. Also, EVERYTHING on the trailer has "Property Of U-Haul on it". Even the tires!

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Burned the Harman at a low fire for 24 hours and got about 1/2 pan of ash. The stoker is running as well. The bin's got coal in it again and I'm happy (and tired).

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Apr. 07, 2008 3:13 pm

spc wrote:Why is Superior better for a stoker than UAE? Thanks.

UAE is low ash high fusion coal in warmer weather in a stoker you will get clinker's In a hand-fed you will not Do to less air to make it clinker so in a hand -fed it will burn longer and cooler Superior coal will give alot more BTU's so in warmer weather you will cook yourself out of the house with a hand - fed So I always switch to UAE in warmer weather like in the beginning of the season and like now in the end of the season Then when it gets really cold I go to Superior coal for the Extra BTU's UAE being Dry does not make it burn any different then wet wash coal it is just more dirty you will have fines in both wet & dry coal Just more in dry It is the low ash High Fusion that gives problems in stoker stoves and that depends on what stoker it is The big stoker / boiler real don't have any problems Just sum of the small stoker / stoves might

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”