Obama Hurting N E Coal Producers

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Jul. 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Hello gents .Today I was at a heritage opicnic on Lehigh Ant . site grounds .Spoke to a Lehi employee .He sai big 4 producers Blas. Jeddo Reading an Lehigh are being undercut by Russian an Chinese coal being shipped to U S .Layoffs an not all shifts working .No tariffs . jack

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sun. Jul. 13, 2014 7:53 pm

So then if the power generators are getting coal cheaper then we should see electric rates go down, right, somehow I wouldn't wait for it.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Jul. 13, 2014 10:38 pm

samhill wrote:So then if the power generators are getting coal cheaper then we should see electric rates go down, right, somehow I wouldn't wait for it.
I don't think much anthracite goes into power production, with the exception of the culm banks.

Mike

samhill

Post by samhill » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 7:16 am

That's true in this area Mike but I didn't know if it was the same in the NE anthracite area. The article I read didn't really call the coal anything but low sulfur & I was thinking it may mostly be bit but it either case lower costs should = lower bills in a fair world & we all know we don't live in one of those.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0710/p02s01-usec.html

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 7:27 am

Of course, Den actually works close to the industry and talks to people actually working in the breakers but of course liberals know better, doubt that it is Anthracite and however much they are charging, it's never fair. HAHAAHAHAHAHAA. Let's all bow to the superior intellect.

samhill

Post by samhill » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 8:26 am

CNB, wtf did I ever say he was wrong, just pointing the blame (if that's what you want to call it) where it belongs. Do anything & everything to increase profit & not pass along savings, there can never be enough profit. Kind of a double edged sword, you want less Gov. involvement but then complain if there are no tariffs. Protection of the thieves, is that not the free market everyone wants?

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 10:34 am

coalnewbie wrote:Of course, Den actually works close to the industry and talks to people actually working in the breakers but of course liberals know better, doubt that it is Anthracite and however much they are charging, it's never fair. HAHAAHAHAHAHAA. Let's all bow to the superior intellect.
If "doubt that it is anthracite" is referring to me, my comment was only responding to samhill's comment about power prices, and didn't have anything to do with the markets into which those producers actually sell.

Mike

samhill

Post by samhill » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 12:46 pm

From the big four that Den mentioned then it would almost have to be anthracite to be harming them or am I missing something? Most power plants that I know of that use coal use bit. coal & have been importing for years, I was just wondering if there is foreign ant. hitting the markets. Wasn't trying to discredit the information at all but some local dealers may try & pass off the less expensive coal at the same premium price.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jul. 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Off the top of my head Vietnam is the worlds largest exporter (and one of the top 3 or 4 producers) of "anthracite class" coal. PA anthracite hardly even shows up on the world anthracite scale. But I've never quite been able to figure out if what the rest of the world calls "anthracite" has anywhere near the overall quality and characteristics of PA anthracite.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Tue. Jul. 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Den034071 wrote:He sai big 4 producers Blas. Jeddo Reading an Lehigh are being undercut by Russian an Chinese coal being shipped to U S .Layoffs an not all shifts working .No tariffs . jack
I didn't realize we were importing coal from China. I've seen several articles lately about all the coal we're sending over to Asia. Tariffs wouldn't be a good idea if our companies are selling coal & other fuels over there.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052 ... 2374789164

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=11791

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-12-05/u ... -than-coal

http://thediplomat.com/2013/11/how-us-companies-b ... addiction/

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”