1st Coal Fire Yesterday

Frank B.

Post by Frank B. » Mon. Oct. 24, 2005 1:01 pm

I recently purchased a Hitzer 983 wood/coal (hand fed) fireplace insert. After installing it I couldn't wait to try it out. I proceeded to make a wood fire with kindling then applied a layer of coal to the entire bottom of the stove around 2 in thick. I heard a little sizzling/crackling when I applied the coal and after about 45 min the entire layer was glowing red (with just a little bit of blue flame dancing around the top of the coals. I added another 1 1/2 in of coal to this total of about 3.5 in. After a few hrs the temps in the house got to near 90 deg( outside temp was 42 falling off to 34 deg at nite) and I had to crack a couple windows open to cool off. I would like to know a few things about future fires.

The stove has two blowers which automatically come on once the stove heats up. Once the house is warm enough is it ok turn off the blowers or will this cause the stove/blower motor to overheat?

Can I start a smaller fire by only using coal on a portion of the grate; around 50% of the grate area ? or will the coal not burn properly due to air flow?

any other tips or hints?

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Oct. 24, 2005 2:55 pm

I don't know that particular model but there should be a draft control to slow it down? What size coal are you using?

Frank B.

Post by Frank B. » Mon. Oct. 24, 2005 3:45 pm

on this stove there is an air inlet slide adjust and a damper near the top of the stove, once the coals were glowing, I adjusted the slides to about 3/4 closed position on both the air inlet and the damper. I was using "pea" coal

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Oct. 24, 2005 4:10 pm

You could dampen it more and adjust the inlets samller, as long as it's getting a sufficient draft to burn. Once lit it doesn't require much. Most people only light a coal fire once and let it burn for the season.

Jeanie
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand Fed Coal Stove Hitzer 983.
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal and stove coal.
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by Jeanie » Tue. Oct. 25, 2005 10:13 am

I own a 983 Hitzer also. I have for almost 13yrs. A couple years ago I started using anthracite coal. I love burning it for lots of reason. Sounds like you really had good luck getting yours going.
I started mine last night and thought I had a good one going. Got up this morning and guess what it was out. Sometimes it gives me fits. I've got it going now, not sure why it did not burn allnight.
I know you have to have a hot fire to have good results. I almost gave up trying to get it to burn the first time I used it. I kept at it until I finally got what I wanted. It is so nice to get up to a warm house.

Mlou

Post by Mlou » Tue. Oct. 25, 2005 1:05 pm

I heat with the 983 also. This stove is ideally designed to burn "nut" size coal. No, you can not burn only 50% of the firebox, the air will go around your coal and not burn. You really don't want to turn off the blowers while they are calling to be on. If your power is out, go ahead and burn with out them, but do not burn too hot.

This stove is working at it's best when it is below 40 outside and stays there. Warmer temps usually means I have my window cracked also.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Oct. 25, 2005 1:28 pm

Mlou wrote: Warmer temps usually means I have my window cracked also.
I'll make a bet it's still cheaper than using other energy sources, I can offer one additional tip. Try trowing some ashes across the top of the fire. This should slow the burn rate. That's why I asked about the size coal, smaller sizes have less air flow and burn at a slower rate.... I do have a few customers that for example will purchase 4 ton of nut or pea and single ton of rice or buck. They use the rice or buck as a damper, it still burns but slows the air flow down.

Mlou

Post by Mlou » Tue. Oct. 25, 2005 2:58 pm

Iteresting idea, putting some rice on top of the nut to slow down airflow, I will be trying that tonight

Frank B.

Post by Frank B. » Wed. Oct. 26, 2005 8:50 am

One of the reasons I bought the Hitzer 983 was the fact that it could burn either wood or coal. As long as temps are in the 30-50 deg range I will burn wood since I can more easily regulate it for less heat output/duration.

One more question about the 983 with regard to coal fires. How thick can you make your bed of coals in this stove? I went 4 inches but can you safely go 5,6,7,more inches, or even up to the top of the firebricks?
Thanks everyone for all the replys so far.

Mlou

Post by Mlou » Wed. Oct. 26, 2005 1:58 pm

Frank,

Load it up. I fill mine to the top of the firebrick. Just make sure that is not so heavy that you can not shake it. Just know that if you get it full of coal & you get too much air in there, it will all burn and get really HOT!

Frank B.

Post by Frank B. » Wed. Oct. 26, 2005 2:25 pm

Mlou wrote:Frank,

Load it up. I fill mine to the top of the firebrick. Just make sure that is not so heavy that you can not shake it. Just know that if you get it full of coal & you get too much air in there, it will all burn and get really HOT!
Mlou ( or anyone else who has/had a 983), How long have you owned your 983? Are you satisfied with it? Ever have to replace any parts yet?

Jeanie
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand Fed Coal Stove Hitzer 983.
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal and stove coal.
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by Jeanie » Thu. Oct. 27, 2005 9:26 am

Frank B. wrote:
Mlou wrote:Frank,

Mlou ( or anyone else who has/had a 983), How long have you owned your 983? Are you satisfied with it? Ever have to replace any parts yet?
I've had my 983 Hitzer for almost 13 yrs now. The only thing I had to replace is the left blower.
I wonder if anyone owns one with the hopper in it.
Jeanie

Mlou

Post by Mlou » Thu. Oct. 27, 2005 11:10 am

This will be the 4th season for my 983. Have not needed to replace any parts. Although I did have to rewire the right blower, not because of a defect, but because my DH took a nap with the ash door open. Way overfired the stove, melted the blower wires, but everything else is still intact.

I have a friend that installed the hopper version for this season. He doesn't have any coal yet, so hasn't fired it up. If not for the expense, I Definitely would change to the hopper insert. Much easier to fill.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”