First Winter Heating With a Stoker!

Rweaver1214
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Rweaver1214 » Sun. Mar. 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Well this was my first winter heating with a stoker stove and I must say, I couldn't be happier! I bought my house two years ago and remdoeled the entire place, being that the house was only 15 years old to begin with it is like a new house (r-19 in the 2x6 walls approx r-40 on the ceiling, vapor barrier over all insulation, energy efficient doors and windows.) My house is 1100 s.f. and my Harman Magnum is my only source of heat. I started burning the beginning of december and bought two tons of coal. I should have enough to finish off the year and with the especially cold winter we have had here in n.w. pa I believe three tons will heat me entirely next year. before this stove I had a handfired "American Eagle" dual fuel stove that I burned coal in for one winter. After a winter of cold mronings and hot evenings I decided it was time for a change. I originally planned to buy an alaska unit because I have a dealer close by. After looking on this forum I realized that maybe a Harman Magnum was more what I needed to find. It was almost impossible to find one that wasnt rusted up but I was able to locate one just a short drive away. I set the unit up to a thermostat and keep it at 78 (no need to worry about the cost of it when the heat is so cheap compared to propane) I couldnt be happier with this unit I can idle it down to basically no fire at all and the hopper lasts for 5 days in the winter time. This has been great since I go out of town for work and often don't make it back for 4-5 days. Anyone considering purchasing one of these stoves I recomend you do your reasearch and buy the one that meets as many of your needs as possible. Before the upcoming winter I plan to remote locate my blowers since the stove sits in my living room. other than that a good clean out here in a couple weeks and I will be good to go for next year!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Sounds real good Rw--glad the winter went well for you:)

mikeandgerry
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Post by mikeandgerry » Tue. Mar. 25, 2014 12:50 am

Nice! Always like to hear success stories. Glad you are happy with coal. I was very happy to have made the switch also. No regrets.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Mar. 25, 2014 6:22 am

Welcome to The Board! Like everyone else,we love to hear feedback! Stick around,learnand grow! It doesn't hurt to have more Coal on-site than you need for a heating season just in case. It sure 'aint going to go bad on 'ya! :lol: That's just one of the Benefits of Coal! :up:

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Mar. 25, 2014 6:31 am

Great report on your experience. You must have done a great job insulating and sealing up the house that is not a lot of coal to go through in that amount of time. I am curious if you have outside combustion air piped to the stoker?

I'd be interested in seeing pics of the remote blower project if you are able to post them.

oilman

Post by oilman » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Congratulations.......I remember when I was burning wood...I couldn't afford a stoker at the time,but I knew it was better. Due to the tiny basement, it had to be a stove,and when I finally got one it was just great. I sounded like you do now!

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 8:14 pm

Nice another success story :P I too installed a stoker 4 years ago, nothing like that almost automatic heat, thermostats for Buderus oil boiler have been off for the last 3 years, once I got everything dialed in. Spring maintenance is a must do not put it off, many posts here on that, good luck and welcome to the "Black Rock Framily" :up:

Rweaver1214
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum

Post by Rweaver1214 » Wed. Mar. 26, 2014 9:43 pm

titleist1 wrote:Great report on your experience. You must have done a great job insulating and sealing up the house that is not a lot of coal to go through in that amount of time. I am curious if you have outside combustion air piped to the stoker?

I'd be interested in seeing pics of the remote blower project if you are able to post them.
At this time I don't have it piped to the stoker but I put a vent behind the stoker so it could pull combustion air right there since that was a concern of mine. I will post pics once I get the remote blower project completed, its going to be a joint project of finishing the wall behind the stoker with stone so it will be a few months.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”