SS Chimney Liners

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:43 pm

freetown fred wrote:Any fireplace install should work real well with existing masonry chimney-- just close in the smoke shelf opening & walla--GEKKO--hate to tell ya, but you got TOOK:( OVERBLOWN???????I think not--here on the FORUM are people that have tried SS liners & I'd say there is around a 95% fail rate--these results are from personal experience, not from some salesman, owner or installer that is making BIG $$$ off of peoples inexperience & gullibility :( :( --come on JF, you been around the block a couple times, there's an old saying I think half these web sites & salespeople run on--"if ya can't dazzle em with your knowledge, baffle em with your bullshit" point being--ya close up that bottom draft hole & put on a cap of some sort (if needed)--you'll be in like Flynn--just an old farmer's (whose forgotten more about chimneys, then most of these youngsters will ever take the time to learn) thoughts ;) PS--I know personally people that have tried to collect on those SS warranty's in this area---GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THAT
Put your reading glasses on and re read my first post.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:44 pm

freetown fred wrote:Gekko--in case I'm mistaken, making do with what they got would DEFINETLY be using the masonry chimney as is--hell, that's not even a valid argument!
Put your reading glasses on and re read my first post.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:45 pm

I did, plus your others & that's why I responded as I did above:)

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:45 pm

J F Graham wrote:Gekko, I fully realize that SS liners for coal do "SUCK". And in no way and do I endorse them over a masonry chimney. However, with this said; "IF" a member must use a SS chimney to prevail, the info I have provided "MAY" Offer some reassurance when a new liner is required. Also in no way do I have ANY relationship with the aforementioned dealer. My ONLY intentions were to POSSIBLY expose a source of information that might be of benefit to our members, who have suffered previous failures, with no recourse.
Jim
My 6 inch liner "sucks" way more than my masonry chimney would have!

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:46 pm

freetown fred wrote:I did, plus your others & that's why I responded as I did above:)
Put your glasses on and re read my first post.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:47 pm

And you know this how??? I'd also like to see anywhere in your National Code--which is what we all go by--that mandates SS liners anywhere??

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Fred, I haven't examined this particular chimney yet, but the flue is at least 8x12=96 sq in. some are 13x13=169sq in. 6" round is about 28 sq in. either way unsafe to draft w/o liner. Rather have a half assed
warranty that "might prevail" than dead friends.
Jim

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:54 pm

JF, it's your projected job, but there's plenty of people running 8X12 clay with their coal or wood stoves & doing it safely. Now if you were to tell me you would have to possibly put a Baro on a stove, it would seem way more realistic to me--like I said, it's your projected job.
Last edited by freetown fred on Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Fred , How in hell do ya put a damper on an insert???

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Didn't say it could be done, it was just a general option to an SS liner on any stove--at any rate, I'm sure you could make that clay liner set up work if you experimented some before going that other route.

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Gekko It is a valid argument if their existing Chimney is deficient!!!

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Fred' I'm open to all advice, but I do not see how it would properly draft. This guy and I worked together for 25 yrs we are very good friends. Don't get me wrong , like you, I grew up working on a farm. Can't count the times when at 14 yrs old I had to repair the "ol case 730" Get the s,it spreader fixed, ect,ect. This forum has been VERRY good for me, both intellectually and practically . I'm not here for argument's sake just thought if anybody needed a liner this might apply, with somewhat of a warranty. If I offended anyone, I humbly apologize
Jim.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 5:56 pm

J F Graham wrote:Fred' I'm open to all advice, but I do not see how it would properly draft. T
I think Fred's advice is valid to at least try some simple things such as restricting the smoke shelf and even the top opening to better hold heat in the chimney. After that, if not successful, then extreme measures, which many regard a liner to be can be used.

Your advice on better guarantees is also good if a liner is resorted to if all else fails, but the all else should be tried first.

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 6:16 pm

With all due respect, A fireplace flue can't draft efficiently enough to safely exhaust from a coal burning appliance, when such flue is so oversized. For many years I built clay lined chimney block chimneys, and fireplaces . Many client wanted a flue of 8"x12' believing that such would draw better, as it was bigger for their woodstove. I explained to them that a larger flue would be harder to heat, and hence less draft. And more creosote. I've had many a call back as said homeowner had to admit their misgivings. In my humble and professional opinion, follow the owners manual, and don't oversize your flue. Sometimes "Less is more".
Jim

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 6:19 pm

What I have heard of is the warranty is on the liner itself. No warranty on the removal and install of the new one if the old one fails. Also was said it has to be insulated for warranty to work? Also has to be cleaned each year? $50 or more right there/per year. I think the labor would be high. So your liner fails, you call the guy, he wants to charge you for the removal of the old liner,labor for the new install, and he charges you zero for the new liner. He is still making money.
My house is 90 years old, original chimney. No clay liner, just brick, inside of the chimney is at least 12" x 12". Boiler has 5" outlet. Draft is more than the baro can handle, actually should add another.
I see the local liner guy hawking his wares at all the local flea marts every week. Why would a newer house, say 5-10 years old, need a liner? They are all over the neighborhood. I see them sellers as scam artists, just my opinion. How do you clean wood creosote from a corrugated liner?

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”