SS Chimney Liners

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Looks like it might be in my future to install a Hitzer 503 for a friend. But with all the negativity regarding SS vs coal I initially had my reservations; However after extensive research I now feel more comfortable. Seems some companies like Selkirk offer lifetime warranties on their product ONLY if installed by a certified NFI or CSIA installer. After hours on the web I found this website
http://fireplace-chimneystore.com Spoke with the owner, Scott Phips who was very cordial, and told him of my situation regarding warranty. He was fully aware of Selkirk's policies along with other companies as well. He advised me to go with "Home Saver Ultra Pro" in 316ti. He was also aware of coal's affect on metals; However as long as Home Saver products are installed by a "qualified chimney expert", and "cleaned once a year by a "qualified chimney expert", Home Saver would honor the warrantee. When I told him I was a mason contractor, he said "you're qualified". Nothing mentioned about NFI or CSIA certified. Scott says to have been doing business with this company for about 20 yrs and never a problem. He did mention that all liners had to be insulated to qualify for the warranty. His prices are also comparable with where I purchase now, at contractor's discount. At least now when doing liners the average person seems to have a fighting chance, if the liner falters. And I have to believe than anyone of us knows a friendly mason :D Hope this helps.
Jim

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Why do you need a liner?

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 3:01 pm

What Mozz said.......

And if you are a mason contractor, why would you not install the best possible and that is a clay lined flue masonry chimney ????
And when you compare costs, it usually is cheaper with the masonry.

The key to any warranty is to read the fine print. "Installed and cleaned annually by a certified expert." is usually the reason for denying any claim.

Rick

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 3:06 pm

In some applications, like the potential install of the 503, it will be going into a fireplace. Fireplaces have a much larger flue and need to be reduced to implement proper draft. EG: The flue for a fireplace should be at least 10% of the fireplace opening. So a fireplace opening of 36" by 28" = 1008 sq inches. A 6' liner = 28.27 sq inches. There many variables regarding draft, this is just one
Jim

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 3:08 pm

I can only imagine the mess and PITA replacing a SS liner could be! :mad:

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Some installations need them to draft correctly.

In my fireplace install, my chimney has 8 & 1/2x13 clay tile, so odds are the stove would have a weak draft with such a large pipe. With a 6 inch liner it drafts like a shop vac.

Plus in my town in Ma. the building inspector required it to sign off the permit.

It's easy to remove and replace as well as it's flexible.

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Rick, there many of us trying to get by with what we have. I am fully aware masonry is the way to go. However some of us have preexisting chimneys and are trying to "make due with what we have". I am in no way advocating SS over masonry. I was only attempting to relay that there is "possibly a company that "may" honor it's warranty! It's better than NOTHING. So for those of us that require a liner, this may well be worth looking into.
Jim

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 3:22 pm

The whole "issue" with ss liners on this forum is overblown.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Gekko wrote:The whole "issue" with ss liners on this forum is overblown.
As someone who has dealt with a failed liner, I only try to relay my experience to others so they do not have to go through what
I did. Take it for what it is worth.

After all, it is on the internet so it must be true.................. :shh: :secret: :blah: :chop:

Rick

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:05 pm

Gekko, Please give me your rendition on why this issue is overblown. Don't get me wrong I'm NOT being contrary, just VERY curious. "Learning is a VERY long process"!

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:11 pm

Sorry to hear that Rick.

The average homeowner stays in their house 10 years.

A properly installed, operated and maintained 316 or AL 29 liner will easily "outlive" the owner.

But if I could have successfully utilized my mammoth clay chimney I certainly would have.
Last edited by scalabro on Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:16 pm

J F Graham wrote:Gekko, Please give me your rendition on why this issue is overblown. Don't get me wrong I'm NOT being contrary, just VERY curious. "Learning is a VERY long process"!
Search it a little bit, I think you'll see the "ss liners suck" mantra.

Like you said some have to make do with what they have, ie a fireplace install.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Any fireplace install should work real well with existing masonry chimney-- just close in the smoke shelf opening & walla--GEKKO--hate to tell ya, but you got TOOK:( OVERBLOWN???????I think not--here on the FORUM are people that have tried SS liners & I'd say there is around a 95% fail rate--these results are from personal experience, not from some salesman, owner or installer that is making BIG $$$ off of peoples inexperience & gullibility :( :( --come on JF, you been around the block a couple times, there's an old saying I think half these web sites & salespeople run on--"if ya can't dazzle em with your knowledge, baffle em with your bullshit" point being--ya close up that bottom draft hole & put on a cap of some sort (if needed)--you'll be in like Flynn--just an old farmer's (whose forgotten more about chimneys, then most of these youngsters will ever take the time to learn) thoughts ;) PS--I know personally people that have tried to collect on those SS warranty's in this area---GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THAT

coalder

Post by coalder » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:39 pm

Gekko, I fully realize that SS liners for coal do "SUCK". And in no way and do I endorse them over a masonry chimney. However, with this said; "IF" a member must use a SS chimney to prevail, the info I have provided "MAY" Offer some reassurance when a new liner is required. Also in no way do I have ANY relationship with the aforementioned dealer. My ONLY intentions were to POSSIBLY expose a source of information that might be of benefit to our members, who have suffered previous failures, with no recourse.
Jim

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Gekko--in case I'm mistaken, making do with what they got would DEFINETLY be using the masonry chimney as is--hell, that's not even a valid argument!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”