$1100+ Already

ShawnTRD
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA6 (New in April 2014)
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice
Other Heating: Weil Mclain WGO-2 (Net 75k BTU)

Post by ShawnTRD » Sat. Mar. 15, 2014 1:25 am

So I've been in my house for 3 weeks now and from paying $365 at closing for the leftover fuel oil, plus 140 gallon to fill the tank, plus another 60 gallons the brought today (about two weeks later). That would have been coal for the hole year. I know what I must do this summer. It's going to be a Keystoker KA6. I really wanted the EMF 520, but I can't justify $3000 for used or $4000 for rebuilt. And I think it's overkill for what I need. The Weil-McLain P-WGO-2 I have is like a 75k BTU and I think it heats the place easy. Plus my father in-law has the a Keystoker and really likes it. I'm checking on some prices for the KA6 and theirs a shop 10 miles away that said about $6000 with tax. And I found a place about a hour and a half from me (14883) that has one on ebay for $5,150.00 or make offer. So I emailed them for a price if I pick it up with bank check in hand. If you sell them new feel free to PM me.

Thanks

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Mar. 15, 2014 6:23 am

I know I'm very happy with my Keystoker. Very straight forward, and simple. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Keystoker boiler. From what you're telling us, I'd consider looking at the new Kaa-4. It'd be less money that the Ka-6. My Kaa-2 kept my 1700 square foot ranch at 73* , with the wind howling, and -8* outside temps. She was running flat out, but held her own. I can't say enough good about the little Kaa-2. That being said, I would have bought the old Ka-4 if it wasn't discontinued at the time. My Kaa-2 does the job. Otherwise, I'd be stepping up to the new Kaa-4 myself. Oliver

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Mar. 15, 2014 10:56 pm

I like Keystokers too, but I would also check out good used boilers. There is a Losch for sale is Scranton;

**Broken Link(S) Removed**

$1250, it's been for sale for a while and it is the end of the season. They may take an offer.

With a stoker like the Losch you are not restricted to burning rice coal. You can burn barley, rice and buckwheat. Barley coal is the cheapest anthracite there is. There is no photo in the add, but it looks like this one.
Losch$1250a.jpg

Losch

.JPG | 16.5KB | Losch$1250a.jpg
Since spring is next week, I am assuming you are thinking of doing this for next heating season. If so, take your time and find something that fits your needs at a reasonable price.

-Don

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”