Coal Used in Pellet Stoves

General energy and coal related topics, news and basic information. If you do not know where to post your topic post it here.
windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 9:16 am

My simple mind has yet to come to grips with the logic of burning coal in a non-approved stove when it could be sold & a proper coal burning stove be put into use, what am I missing ???
David **** John14:6 Jesus saith unto him,"I am the way.the truth,and the life;no man cometh unto the father,but by me." Wise men sought for Jesus when he was born,wise men still seek Jesus today. Seek & you shall find.

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 9:26 am

Pellets have become scarce. There are none to buy anywhere. Some are resorting to trying other fuels in then.

I went to the Harman site and looked at that pellet stove. Wow that sucker is nice! Mine is a breckwell and operates a little different. The major difference I see the pellets are forced across the burn plate where mine has a burn pot the pellets drop into.

I still think the little feed auger won't handle the coal very well. Also it appears that the fuel is forced across an incline which does ok with lighter wood pellets but heavier coal may not cooperate. Then there's the over heat problem too...

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 12:15 pm

I guess he decided not to do the experiment. :(
No matter where you go,......there you are.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 1:05 pm

The intelligent brain cells won ??
David **** John14:6 Jesus saith unto him,"I am the way.the truth,and the life;no man cometh unto the father,but by me." Wise men sought for Jesus when he was born,wise men still seek Jesus today. Seek & you shall find.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson
Stove/Furnace Make: Thermopride
Stove/Furnace Model: oil fired

Post Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Freddy wrote:
This may sound like I'm breaking my rule of "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all", but, truly I believe that you'll find that burning coal in this pellet stove will be an expensive experiment, hence, if I save you the cost of replacement parts (or stove), and if I save you evacuating the house because of CO, then I am in actuality saying something nice.

I like what Freddy has to say. But I also "love" experiments. (Especially when it's not my equipment).
I say, "go for it". Keep a close eye on it at all times. Somebody will be able to say..."I told you so".
Maybe it will be you.
I got coal in my Christmas stocking. (Yey!)
http://nepacrossroads.com/about36489.html

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”