Problem With Coal Delivery and Neighbors

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Regarding the fence removal....
We have a pipe 'sleeve' pounded into the ground and a pipe on the post ends of the fence sections that fit down into the sleeve. It makes it easy to remove/replace a section of the fence when necessary.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 1:22 pm

MarkG wrote:
Carbon12 wrote:I know it would be a pain you shouldn't have to endure, but could they dump the coal in your driveway? You could get some friends or pay some neighborhood kids to dump it into your bin. Doesn't really take long to move a ton of coal short distances.
I suppose they could definitely leave it next to the porch as a last resort. I wouldn't mind shoveling it in and I know plenty of people who would help - even for free.
Ya know, this is actually a very good idea, along with the beer/pizza party mentioned earlier.

Get the good neighbors involved. Have the coal dumped and ask the good neighbors to help in this little scenario. Invite the good neighbors for the pizza/beer and help move the coal. When your good neighbors start snubbing the ones next door.........things will change quickly I believe.
Sometimes actions speak louder than words.
Last edited by SWPaDon on Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkG
Stoker Coal Boiler: Wagner
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by MarkG » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 1:22 pm

titleist1 wrote:Regarding the fence removal....
We have a pipe 'sleeve' pounded into the ground and a pipe on the post ends of the fence sections that fit down into the sleeve. It makes it easy to remove/replace a section of the fence when necessary.
The good thing about my fence is that it's a PVC fence so it comes apart easy and each anchor post has a 4x4 in it so I can easily remove sections of the fence between the anchor posts, but I may look into doing it the way you described so I can remove sections without leaving behind the anchor posts.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Ya know, this is actually a very good idea, along with the beer/pizza party mentioned earlier.

Get the neighbors involved. Have the coal dumped and ask the neighbors to help in this little scenario. Invite other neighbors for the pizza/beer and help move the coal. When your other neighbors start snubbing the ones next door.........things will change quickly I believe.
Sometimes actions speak louder than words.
Indeed they do. I had neighbors offering/helping us move in as well without even asking. We unloaded a 26' U-Haul in under an hour. It was unreal. And, with pizza and beer, everyone wins!

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 1:37 pm

But if'n ya don't wanna to do that, I can still send over my grandson's bike(that does have the horn), The 'wall mounted' Hot Wheels battery operated race tracks, the battery operated laser guns, the remote control cars with the horns and sirens..........etc. etc. ect........... :lol: :lol:

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 4:11 pm

MarkG wrote: They never give a time for delivery. Basically, no matter what you order, it gets there when it gets there.
I never operated like that Mark, when I said that I meant when they ordered it. A phone call, usually the night before, was always made to schedule the delivery with a time. With one ton they might not hear from me for two weeks.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Carbon12 wrote:I've only ever seen my coal truck deliver straight back from the chute. Can the chute be turned 90 degrees to the back of the truck and deliver sideways?
Yes, there is long hooks on either side of the chute coming off the truck. If it's up high enough you can actually angle towards the front of the truck a slight bit.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 6:26 pm

SWPaDon wrote:But if'n ya don't wanna to do that, I can still send over my grandson's bike(that does have the horn), The 'wall mounted' Hot Wheels battery operated race tracks, the battery operated laser guns, the remote control cars with the horns and sirens..........etc. etc. ect........... :lol: :lol:
Wall mounted, eh? ;)

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Richard S. wrote:
MarkG wrote: They never give a time for delivery. Basically, no matter what you order, it gets there when it gets there.
I never operated like that Mark, when I said that I meant when they ordered it. A phone call, usually the night before, was always made to schedule the delivery with a time. With one ton they might not hear from me for two weeks.
Ah, I get you now. We don't get a call the night before. They ask what day and that's about as much as we get in the way of scheduling. That's been the case with both suppliers we've ordered from.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 6:50 pm

MarkG wrote: Ah, I get you now. We don't get a call the night before. They ask what day and that's about as much as we get in the way of scheduling. That's been the case with both suppliers we've ordered from.
I'm not sure how you could operate like that, if anything you need to call to remind them so they have the window open or if there is a car in the way ;) . I knew where the keys were some people houses but even then I'd call them... Generally speaking unless something got screwed up I'd be able to be there within 15 minutes of whatever time I gave them. I'd usually tell them what time I expected to be there and possibly an hour after. If I was running late I'd call them.

Like I said taking deliveries back was a huge hassle but then again 75% of my orders were long distance.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 7:18 pm

MarkG wrote:
SWPaDon wrote:But if'n ya don't wanna to do that, I can still send over my grandson's bike(that does have the horn), The 'wall mounted' Hot Wheels battery operated race tracks, the battery operated laser guns, the remote control cars with the horns and sirens..........etc. etc. ect........... :lol: :lol:
Wall mounted, eh? ;)
Uh huh............heres a link to the video:

Here is Mid Air Madness:

My grandson has the Power Tower and Mid-Air Madness. Imagine the car hitting a hardwood floor(as in my house), instead of carpet. :shock:

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Richard S. wrote:
MarkG wrote: Ah, I get you now. We don't get a call the night before. They ask what day and that's about as much as we get in the way of scheduling. That's been the case with both suppliers we've ordered from.
I'm not sure how you could operate like that, if anything you need to call to remind them so they have the window open or if there is a car in the way ;) . I knew where the keys were some people houses but even then I'd call them... Generally speaking unless something got screwed up I'd be able to be there within 15 minutes of whatever time I gave them. I'd usually tell them what time I expected to be there and possibly an hour after. If I was running late I'd call them.

Like I said taking deliveries back was a huge hassle but then again 75% of my orders were long distance.
Heh. Car in the way. Where have I heard that before?

I'll call the day before to order it, remove the window, stuff a nicely constructed, window-shaped piece of cardboard in the opening to block the draft and wait for them to show up.

tjnamtiw
Other Heating: Sopka Cook stove

Post by tjnamtiw » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Buy a 'junker' and park it there. Minimum insurance and plate fees because it's driven so few miles. All it has to do is start and make it from there to your driveway and back after the coal delivery is made. That's what I would do. And they will never see that parking space again.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Uh huh............heres a link to the video:

Here is Mid Air Madness:

My grandson has the Power Tower and Mid-Air Madness. Imagine the car hitting a hardwood floor(as in my house), instead of carpet. :shock:
Sweet merciful Christ! My kid would be gaga over that, and I have to say a part of me would be too. We don't have carpet either. We have the peel and stick imposter hardwood floors but any little thing that hits it, especially because the ceilings are high and the rooms are open, sounds like an explosion.

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Fri. Feb. 21, 2014 7:51 pm

tjnamtiw wrote:Buy a 'junker' and park it there. Minimum insurance and plate fees because it's driven so few miles. All it has to do is start and make it from there to your driveway and back after the coal delivery is made. That's what I would do. And they will never see that parking space again.
Working on that. We need a second vehicle anyway, so we'd be killing two birds with one stone. Hopefully soon enough.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”