Are Coal Ashes Ok to Spread on Lawn or in Vegetable Garden?

General energy and coal related topics, news and basic information. If you do not know where to post your topic post it here.
dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Pulled part of an old newspaper article for a good read to some folks... View/rotate view/clockwise (i had to cut it in half to fit)
when the coal co came.pdf
(651.06 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 6:05 pm

gerry_g wrote:When someone else mentioned "I paid $80 for a 40# bag of "activated carbon", and stated it was marked as "pulverized anthracite." that was a inaccurate in that it was just pulverized anthracite. Who the heck would pay that price to grind anthracite? It was almost certain activated carbon derived from carefully selected and processed (or it wouldn't be activated) then tested from an anthracite base. That is it only thing I can fantasize that explains it's cost. It most likely had the same outside size as the anthracite used to make it, but activated carbon must be very porous which anthracite is not. The Japanese dominate the "fish tank" market (which started the activated carbon discussion) and happen to usually "activate" coconut shell charcoal.
Like it or not gerry, coal is the second largest source of activated carbon on the planet after wood. Prove me wrong.
Nothing is impossible for people who don't have to do it themselves.

gerry_g
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Electric, Propane
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer LE Top Vent

Post Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 8:50 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Like it or not gerry, coal is the second largest source of activated carbon on the planet after wood. Prove me wrong.
I never stated coal wasn't a source of the carbon for some activated carbon. Please at least read! I stated it "was a inaccurate in that it was just pulverized anthracite". Activated carbon is a form of carbon processed to be riddled with small, low-volume pores that increase the surface area available for adsorption or chemical reactions.

Coal is not processed carbon or riddled with low-volume pores. It certainly can be the source of the carbon.
Check your CO detector - It's nasty to wake up dead

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 9:35 pm

gerry_g wrote:Please at least read! I stated it "was a inaccurate in that it was just pulverized anthracite". Activated carbon is a form of carbon processed to be riddled with small, low-volume pores that increase the surface area available for adsorption or chemical reactions.

Coal is not processed carbon or riddled with low-volume pores. It certainly can be the source of the carbon.
Maybe you should read gerry. I never said it was JUST anthracite. I stated the bag of activated carbon had it on the label.
As for the rest of the post, please explain how that is different than any other source of carbon be it wood, coconut or pecan shells.
Nothing is impossible for people who don't have to do it themselves.

gerry_g
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Electric, Propane
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer LE Top Vent

Post Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 10:15 pm

coaledsweat wrote: please explain how that is different than any other source of carbon be it wood, coconut or pecan shells.
I just stated "Coal is not processed carbon or riddled with low-volume pores. It certainly can be the source of the carbon."

Please lets give this a rest! Here is just one process that uses coal to make pure activated carbon.

http://www.chemvironcarbon.com/en/activated-carbo ... anufacture
Check your CO detector - It's nasty to wake up dead

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Please, live long and prosper.. Agree to disagree.. Its just coal ash. If some wanna put it in the garden then great, you ain't gotts to eat the veggies. If you don't wanna put it in yer garden, please then put it somewhere else.. Maybe its hazardous, maybe its not... I don't think it matters anymore at this point.. :lol:

Sorry just tryin to break the ice er I mean put my ash out over the bank.. :D

Its all good.... 8-)

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 5:41 am

Lightning wrote:Please, live long and prosper.. Agree to disagree.. Its just coal ash. If some wanna put it in the garden then great, you ain't gotts to eat the veggies. If you don't wanna put it in yer garden, please then put it somewhere else.. Maybe its hazardous, maybe its not... I don't think it matters anymore at this point.. :lol:

Sorry just tryin to break the ice er I mean put my ash out over the bank.. :D

Its all good.... 8-)
The trick is to put it in the neighbors garden! :box:

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - (custom built by Jim Dorsey, Taunton MA - RIP 4/18/13)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (SOLD!)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 9:43 am

An 8 page thread on THIS again???? :roll: :wtf:

The basic consensus is: the left leaning folks think coal ash is deadly poison - so if your an obama supporter, DON'T USE COAL ASH! Simple as that.

Everyone else, carry on. The sky is NOT falling .... :lol:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are
neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ...Such laws make things worse
for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to
encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with
greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in "On
Crimes and Punishment."

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 9:52 am

Maybe I'll experiment this summer. Grow some plants in an artificial soil mixture and grow some in a 50% ash and artificial soil mixture. I'll record the results and send the produce for analysis. The local Penn State Agricultural Extension will do the tests cheaply. Of course,.....I may not be all that interested. ;)
No matter where you go,......there you are.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 10:49 am

Not trying to 'stoke' this discussion, but since all the opinions seem to be in this thread, what about bituminous coal ash/clinkers?

For generations we've been told they are fine for driveways, fill, etc, but do NOT use them in the garden, don't dump in the water, and avoid giant amounts in any one place.

I can't say about the anthracite, but reading with great interest.
Keystoker KA-6 online January 2015

Berlin
Site Moderator
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Post Fri. Feb. 07, 2014 11:02 am

bituminous coal east of the mississippi and anthracite ash are basically the same, as is the emissions profile when burned on an industrial scale. Typically fused, partially fused bottom ash (clinker or crunchy ash from anthracite or bituminous stokers) will be even more inert than the fine, loose ash of a hand-fired appliance. Fact is, it's not substantially different than virgin dirt and you don't need to worry about it in your soil. Airborne dust can be annoying with anything and it does contain some silica so, if you're around large quantities or it bothers you, wear a mask when handling it dry.
Burning western Pennsylvania Bituminous in WNY using model 77 stoker furnace. BITUMINOUS equiptment: 2 hand fired stoves of my own design, Many Combustioneer Model 77 stokers, stokermatic furnace, Many Will-Burt stokers, & and Two Iron firemen.

Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post Sun. Feb. 09, 2014 8:16 am

My ash hurts!!! :)
http://www.leisurelinestove.com

You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Sun. Feb. 09, 2014 8:22 am

What the hell! That's the results of your Penn State Study????????????????????? :mad: I coulda understood if it was UCLA :clap: toothy
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Carbon12
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post Sun. Feb. 09, 2014 8:39 am

After I'm cremated, is it ok to spread MY ashes on the vegetable garden??? :roll:
No matter where you go,......there you are.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Sun. Feb. 09, 2014 8:53 am

Hmmmm, do or did you ever smoke, drink, do any kind of drugs, enjoy life, sexually active, ever used sun block, heat with coal????????????????????/ I'll get back to you after my research is completed upon receipt of your answers-- :clap: toothy
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”