New to Forum, New to Coal-Burning...Does This Looks Right?

Gotti88NY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono top feeder back vent
Other Heating: oil furnace hot air

Post by Gotti88NY » Sun. Jan. 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi all, forum is great, been reading I for about an hour now and already got answers for several questions I had...however I was hoping to find out a couple of things:

A) Does this picture looks right or is the flame too "large"? I have the min fr at 4 and max fr at 20. temp set at 72 from the coal trol- it was reached when this was taken.

B) I noticed when the "fan" is set on auto it will blow really hard, BUT it will keep the "stove" itself within the 300-400 temperature (I have of these on it)

but when I set it manually, it will be a lot quieter, but the stove itself will get really hot like at 550 or so which I think it's still within the optimal range, but just seems hot...all of this normal?

Also whats the CFT for? it comes set up at 8, I put it at 9 because supposedly blows hotter air? Im kinda confused on that one still...

A few more background notes...my pocono is in the basement, but I have some vents going up to 2 exclusive registers for my upstairs....i also have a fuel furnace hot air unit which goes to the others registers, no registers are shared...the fuel furnace doesnt seem to kick in since I got the coal stove installed. Also please note that the pic below of the stove in order to show you the vents, was taken in the fall before the stove was running. all the cables/wires are set up right and theres no stuff around the stove anymore. My coaltrol is set up upstairs by the living room Image

Thank you!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 5:34 am

As long as you are not pushing hot coals off, looks like you are pretty close, if the stove was burning max (FR -feed rate) at around 99 keeping up the tempereature, that is about right.

You can run the stove in the 400-500 degree without any problems. I have seen mine at 575 approx on the front with one of the those temp gauges. When it's really cold (below Zero) and its maxed out running.

The CFT is the convection fan threshold, that is the MIN Feed Rate (FR) that the fan will come on. the higher the number, the more feed rate it needs, the warmer it will get before the blower kicks on. Read the CoalTrol Features section.

Gotti88NY

Post by Gotti88NY » Mon. Jan. 27, 2014 10:44 pm

Today the temp upstairs was 73 while the thermostat was set at 72 and while the fan/blower was on auto it kept going really loud...i set I to manual and kept it at 25 but the stove got really warm as per that front temp gauge was close to 600...so turned it up to 35 and got just a bit louder, but it cooled it down to like 425...so is the "blower"(how many are there anyways? is it a blower and fan?) what keeps the stove itself like its surface cooled down at a good 400ish temp? or is it because the blower is circulating the hot air through the vents at a higher rate which bring the stove temp down?

So the CFT is default to 8...you said if I increase the number it means it will be warmer before the blower kicks in...does that mean the stove itself will be too hot, or the room temperature will be hotter? is the blower whats circulates the warm air or what cools down the stove? Im trying to adjust it to a point where I can keep the stove itself in the 400ish, but the upstairs at 72...and hopefully the basement not so hot...currently it must be 81 or so in that basement room...

What would be the best way to go about it? increase the CFT? lower it? leave it alone?

My max fr is set up at 27, but I see most of you folks have it at 30+, do I benefit from having it higehr or 27 is sufficient? fire/flame seems very large at the current setting.

Finally is my draft thing set right or should I open it more?

Sorry for all the rookie Qs, but it's my first time with this set up and just lighted it up for the first time on Sunday.

Thanks in advance for all of your help

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 7:51 am

idk, but that thing looks awesome to me! if your not dropping red hot coals off the grate I would say your just within its max setting, their are dual convection fans that blow air through the double walled heat exchanger (when that dual fan is on... it washes the stove of its heat and you will see a dramatic cool down of the outside wall (where your temp gauge it mounted).

Im jealous!

Gotti88NY

Post by Gotti88NY » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 8:09 am

Haha thank you decrane! The set up came like this with the house
I just bought...still trying to get used to it since It's my first time
Ever with this kinda set up...hence all the questions lol

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 8:25 am

Run the PV a little faster. You should see about 1" open on the bottom.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 8:29 am

Welcome to the forum! You probably didn't realize at the time how great it was that your house came with that LL stoker!!
That 'draft thing' is a barometric damper which automatically closes/opens in order to keep your draft through the stove at a set point. In order to set it accurately you need to have a manometer (Dwyer Mark II Model 25, for example) which is a low cost gauge to measure the draft. if you do a search on manometer in the search field above you'll get all kinds of pictures and install ideas.

I am guessing from Flyers post you have a power vent instead of a chimney. make sure you do the recommended cleaning maintenance on it.

smokerdude
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Kozy King
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Rice

Post by smokerdude » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 8:40 am

You have some working CO detectors in your new house too right?

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 9:42 am

Gotti88NY

Post by Gotti88NY » Tue. Jan. 28, 2014 11:02 am

Yes power vent. And 1 co alarm upstairs in the living room
And 1 actually right on the wall behind the stove which I thought
It was an odd spot for it. Anyone have any further input in the CFT questions?

Thanks again you are all very kind and helpful

Gotti88NY

Post by Gotti88NY » Tue. Feb. 18, 2014 12:02 am

I noticed there's numbers on that little knob on the side of the draft thing, it seems to be for some kind of weight. There are numbers 2, 4 ,6 8, V...what number should I put it on? It seems it can be adjusted by loosing it up and then tighten back up.

Thank you!

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Feb. 18, 2014 12:21 am

Those numbers are for a rough idea of draft settings. It is a good starting point that needs to be verified with a good Manometer. Your stove manufacturer has recommended settings depending on the installed equipment.

Gotti88NY

Post by Gotti88NY » Tue. Feb. 18, 2014 12:30 am

2001Sierra I have a LL Pocono...do you or anyone else know what the recommended draft setting would be? I cant find it on the manual.

I will purchase a manometer and have the dealer that installed the stove put it on.

Thanks again

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Feb. 18, 2014 7:53 am

Gotti88NY wrote:2001Sierra I have a LL Pocono...do you or anyone else know what the recommended draft setting would be? I cant find it on the manual.

I will purchase a manometer and have the dealer that installed the stove put it on.

Thanks again

http://leisurelinestoves.com/files/78102044.pdf

All stoves must utilize a Barometric Draft Control such as the Field Controls Type RC Barometric Damper, the weights should be adjusted to obtain a -.03” to -.05” water column negative pressure in the flue pipe at the stove outlet.

Gotti88NY

Post by Gotti88NY » Tue. Feb. 18, 2014 9:00 am

Flyer5 thank you for the reply bud! , but my Q was more directed
As far as the knobby weight thing on the BDC whether it should be on
2,4,6 etc ...thanks

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”