CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Mar. 11, 2008 11:08 pm

LsFarm wrote:
It is the highlighted comment that prompted my comment about combustion fans... My comment was to point out that the triburner 'one of the oldest type designs' 'is apparently very efficient' was to point out that Wood 'n Coal is not using his triburner like a standard triburner... he is running the combustion fan near full speed, and is adjusting the feed to get the desired heat output... just about like the LL and new-design flat bed stokers.. The old design triburner, when run as a triburner will give you plenty of unburnt coal in the ashpan,, due to lack of combustion air.

And for an additional $3.75 in electricity per month, I'd rather not throw out coal that I had transported 600miles, or even 50miles. That $3.75 won't buy a gallon of diesel right now.

Greg L
Agreed. Superior ain't around the corner from me, either, and my E-250 hauling that trailer ain't gettin' 20 MPG!
Then there are the other incidentals, like food and coffee for the ride....

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Mar. 12, 2008 2:08 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:
LsFarm wrote:
It is the highlighted comment that prompted my comment about combustion fans... My comment was to point out that the triburner 'one of the oldest type designs' 'is apparently very efficient' was to point out that Wood 'n Coal is not using his triburner like a standard triburner... he is running the combustion fan near full speed, and is adjusting the feed to get the desired heat output... just about like the LL and new-design flat bed stokers.. The old design triburner, when run as a triburner will give you plenty of unburnt coal in the ashpan,, due to lack of combustion air.

And for an additional $3.75 in electricity per month, I'd rather not throw out coal that I had transported 600miles, or even 50miles. That $3.75 won't buy a gallon of diesel right now.

Greg L
Agreed. Superior ain't around the corner from me, either, and my E-250 hauling that trailer ain't gettin' 20 MPG!
Don't forget your local guide service fee :lol:

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Mar. 12, 2008 6:51 am

coal berner wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote: Agreed. Superior ain't around the corner from me, either, and my E-250 hauling that trailer ain't gettin' 20 MPG!
Don't forget your local guide service fee :lol:
Right! Forgot about that!

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Mar. 12, 2008 8:56 am

Jay, I thought you only charged when you went on a lap of the "Sckulikyl County 500" Which wore out the batteries in your GPS??
:shock: :shock: :? :D :lol: :lol:

Greg L

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Mar. 14, 2008 12:47 am

LsFarm wrote:Jay, I thought you only charged when you went on a lap of the "Sckulikyl County 500" Which wore out the batteries in your GPS??
:shock: :shock: :? :D :lol: :lol:

Greg L

Well Greg if was anybody else it would of never of Happend Next time we will go on the Schuylkill County 1000 :lol:

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Mar. 27, 2008 4:27 pm

Had to shut the Harman down yesterday due to another jam. I seem to be able to "baby" the shaking down for about a month before it jams again. When I cleaned it out yesterday, it looked like a bunch of gravel & unburnt rocks! While I had the stove off, I configured the additional layer of firebricks I had installed & wedged them in tight with a nice heavy piece of angle iron.

Attachments

001.JPG
.JPG | 170.9KB | 001.JPG

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Apr. 05, 2008 5:09 am

Eureeka!!...I'm down to my last hodfull of the crap coal!! ( I figure I'll have to run the Harman on Blaschak for a few days before I will clean out all of the bad stuff that I can feel binding the shaker grates)

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Apr. 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Spoke to soon! .....Damn thing jammed on me for the last time with that sh-t! Gonna shut her down tomorrow, clean it out & restart for a short period of time with good old Blaschak. (I still have a full hod full of the other crap but I think I'll just toss it out. Never again!)

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Sat. Apr. 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Devil said,
(I still have a full hod full of the other crap but I think I'll just toss it out.
Don't you own a slingshot?

BK

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Apr. 05, 2008 4:30 pm

bksaun wrote:Devil said,
(I still have a full hod full of the other crap but I think I'll just toss it out.
Don't you own a slingshot?

BK
Not a bad idea! I was just about to email Eastern Ice & Coal in Brockton, Mass to tell them how I have had to fight their crap coal all winter. I'm sure they will tell me that 'i'm the only one with such problems this year, at which point I will know they are just liars & theives! I've been burning coal for over 25 years & have never had so much trouble as with their crap! I'll report back any response they may have.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Apr. 05, 2008 11:03 pm

Devil5052 wrote:Spoke to soon! .....Damn thing jammed on me for the last time with that sh-t! Gonna shut her down tomorrow, clean it out & restart for a short period of time with good old Blaschak. (I still have a full hod full of the other crap but I think I'll just toss it out. Never again!)
I threw the crap coal from last year on the gravel driveway. I smashed some of it up and fed it to the stoker-wouldn't burn in that either.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 9:14 am

Devil5052 wrote:Spoke to soon! .....Damn thing jammed on me for the last time with that sh-t! Gonna shut her down tomorrow, clean it out & restart for a short period of time with good old Blaschak. (I still have a full hod full of the other crap but I think I'll just toss it out. Never again!)
Devil,

It would be worth your time and effort to rent a trailer and make the trek to coal country to get decent coal. After all the expenses it probably would work out the same as what you are paying now (maybe a little more). The reward for all the hard work and time will be trouble-free stove operation. I shake and refill the Harman twice a day, it takes me 5 or 10 minutes each time. I give you my word that Superior and UAE Harmony are the best. It's not around the corner for me either, though not nearly as far away as for you. I can buy crappy strip-mined coal in Stroudsburg, PA, just over the river and be back home within 1 1/2 hours, but to me it's a waste of time. The trip ends up taking 1 full day plus another day to unload it.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:
Devil,

It would be worth your time and effort to rent a trailer and make the trek to coal country to get decent coal. After all the expenses it probably would work out the same as what you are paying now (maybe a little more). The reward for all the hard work and time will be trouble-free stove operation. I shake and refill the Harman twice a day, it takes me 5 or 10 minutes each time. I give you my word that Superior and UAE Harmony are the best. It's not around the corner for me either, though not nearly as far away as for you. I can buy crappy strip-mined coal in Stroudsburg, PA, just over the river and be back home within 1 1/2 hours, but to me it's a waste of time. The trip ends up taking 1 full day plus another day to unload it.
Appriciate the advise John but I have had great luck with the Blaschak I have bought for years from Aubuchon Hardware about 6 miles from my house. I tried this crap coal becuase they deliver (Aubuchon doesn't deliver) for the same price that I have to pick it up for at Aubuchon for...but I learned my lesson!
My Harman is jammed again but I think I can nurse it through the night (since I can't budge the shaker grates) & keep it running until tomorrow am when I will clean it out & relight with good old Blaschak!!....Hooray!!! (pretty cold & raw in Mass. today)

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Here's a copy of a letter I just sent to Eastern Ice about their crap coal. I'll let you know if I get any response or not.

Attachments

Eastern Ice Co.doc
.DOC | 20KB | Eastern Ice Co.doc

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Apr. 06, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi Rich,, I might have 'buttered them up' with a comment like,, I'd like to be able to buy from your company, but unless you find a better source for your coal, I can't consider it.. the coal is full of ... etc etc..

Gotta give them a reason to try to find better coal to sell.

Greg.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”