Gibraltor Shell/Keystoker Parts Rice Coal Stove Keeps...

shenk111
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by shenk111 » Sat. Dec. 14, 2013 11:57 pm

burning itself out. I came down the other morning and the stove was running but only pushing unburnt coal down into pan. tonight took combustion air blower that blows air under grates off and cleaned about two years worth of crap outta it. blows awesome now so restarted stove with a mouse and bam hour later went out again. this time it burnt the belt of coal up almost to the top then went out. emptied my 100 lbs hopper and cleaned out above pusher bar and now just sitting and watching pusher bar push coal down belt before starting again in hopes there was to much ashy crap around pusher bar area. anyone ever have this issue? am I doing this the right way or overlooking something.please help its cold in lebanon lol

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 12:17 am

So you cleaned the fan?

Did you also clean the coal fines/dust from under the grate area?

shenk111

Post by shenk111 » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 12:32 am

Yes I did and I hate to admit but there was a lot of sandy looking dust but all is cleaned totally now

shenk111

Post by shenk111 » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 12:36 am

Relit just now and gonna wait until it burns for about an hour to see if it keeps going. Plenty of air blowing through holes, brand new nylon motor unit last year which worked fined, emptied hopper and cleaned all fines out and watched n put pressure on pusher bar which worked fine even watch coal for half hour being pushed down belt fine. I did notice the back left nylon screw hanging out a little bit n actually looks melted a little but that only makes pusher bar slightly uneven but still pushes fine. This one has me puzzled

shenk111

Post by shenk111 » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 8:01 am

Woke up to no orange this morning. Went out again. The pic of coals looks like build up in the middle but it did push coal down through belt, in burnt of course. Also I see inside the pusher area in back there is a plastic screw n it looks melted a bit. What's is that and from what I understand it only keeps bar straight. Even cocked slightly though it pushes coal down. Ugh!! I can't figure this out whatso ever

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 186.4KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 100.9KB | image.jpg

shenk111

Post by shenk111 » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 10:42 am

ok I also reached up top and found a plate you can lift up n drop and it was full of fine gray ashy stuff. looks like it was built up a little under pipe running up.couda been problem?
didnt relight yet one more mouse to use lol

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Would be good to learn fire building w/o the mice. ;)
Lot's of methods detailed on here. :idea:

shenk111

Post by shenk111 » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 3:20 pm

I've built and started the coal many other ways before but what's faster then using mice? I took the electrical panel off that said Honeywell and in there was a switch n when I pused it down it'd turn on pusher and grate blower. The thing runs good when turned up to 78-80 but below that it's letting itself go out. Could those electronics cause fire to go out and if so where do you start diagnosing that issue?

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 3:33 pm

shenk111 wrote:I've built and started the coal many other ways before but what's faster then using mice? I took the electrical panel off that said Honeywell and in there was a switch n when I pused it down it'd turn on pusher and grate blower. The thing runs good when turned up to 78-80 but below that it's letting itself go out. Could those electronics cause fire to go out and if so where do you start diagnosing that issue?
Could you get a pic or a model number?

shenk111

Post by shenk111 » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 4:22 pm

It's a Gibraltar shell but key stoker parts. I can take pics of that Honeywell unit you mean?

shenk111

Post by shenk111 » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 4:24 pm

Honeywell

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 124KB | image.jpg

shenk111

Post by shenk111 » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 10:49 pm

I now have to run stove on thermostat at 80* n it burns real hot but it stays going. One time it looked like the coal was burning in a v shape and not straight across.
Anybody know of this please help if possible I'm stumped

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 15, 2013 10:55 pm

shenk111 wrote:Honeywell
Can you get a number...might be inside the lid/cover.

My guess right now is...·Honeywell RA832A Switching Relay

It provides 24 volt for t'stat circuit while switching on your stoker till heat call is satisfied then it switches stoker off.

Some cycle timer would be needed to be wired in also for the "hold fire" feature or the stoker fire will go out.

shenk111

Post by shenk111 » Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 6:26 am

So last night I set thermostat up this high and it's burnt and worked fine all night at this setting. This is a pic of t'stat how it's been all night. Set and bottom actual but it's working. NOW, I drop that top setting to like 68-75 or so n it'll burn out

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 106.3KB | image.jpg

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Dec. 16, 2013 6:38 am

Cycle timer is suspect for me. If the cycle timer is not working correctly it will come on intermittently but not enough to keep it going. Had the same problem with a Yellow Flame boiler. Different animal but exact same symptom.

I would lite the fire and it would burn. The carpet would slide, coal would feed, all would look fine. Get up the next morning and fire was out and house was cold. When the house got cold it took several hours to heat back up again. I never sat there long enough to make sure the timer cycled the burner. Changed the cycle timer and no more problems.

Your other issue of V shaped fire indicates that air is going around the grates and not completely through the holes. Seal the top of the grate and the sides with refractory cement and that should cure that.

Rev. Larry

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”