Shaking Late Night Disturb Others?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Yes, the Marklll or 50-93 would work well. My only choice on the 50-93 was the customer service directly with the HITZER factory people. Good choice on the tenants heat.:)

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 6:17 am

skobydog wrote:Newb

I have a question regarding shaking. I work second shift and if I were to preform 12 hour shakes one shake would have to occur at 1:00 AM or 2:00 AM. I have a tenant downstairs and think this would cause a disturbance each night.

Some thoughts I had were to go a bit larger on the stove so I wouldn't have to run it so I could go 15 hours without shaking (shaking coals at 2:30 PM and 15 hours later at 5:30 AM). I could just shake the coals at 1:00 AM when I get home while he's sleeping and tell him to suck it up. Anyone shake coals in the middle of the night and disturb household members? Is there a quiet way to shake coals?
I think its kind of you to be considerate to your tenant. Shaking the grates may take only a full minute, 2 at most. So unless you have paper thin floors that you can hear everything thru, noise shouldn't be an issue...

Would the stove be located directly over the tenant's bed room? If not, I think yer good... 8-)

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sun. Nov. 10, 2013 7:39 am

I have a Mark III and she can make some "nails on a chalkboard" noise if you make it. I also work a whacko schedule and last I want is momma and kids up at 3am so I will just lightly rock the shaker back and forth a couple of times slowly and reload. This helps keep the noise down. The next reload which usually is when everyone is up I will be alittle more aggressive. Been working good for the past couple of years.

top top

Post by top top » Tue. Nov. 12, 2013 4:10 am

skobydog wrote:Newb

Is there a quiet way to shake coals?
I had a furnace in the basement with the rocker grates. They were fairly loud but it never bothered anyone. I only burned wood then, don't know if that makes a difference. I just installed a new coal burner on the first floor, it's been burning about 36 hours on low heat setting. It has a three piece round grate system and the shake down made almost no noise. Will that change as the fire matures?? I have no idea, but I really don't see how it could. I just opened the small door, it's just big enough to insert the handle, and gently moved it side to side. The action was smooth and quiet as the fine ash fell into the pan. Kind of felt like sifting flour. After about eight or nine cycles the fire had fallen several inches and I could feel a little roughness in the grates as I started to encounter pieces of coal so I quit shaking. It has a gravity fed hopper so I did not add any coal. After shaking I opened the ash door for a couple minutes to let the fire rejuvenate. BTW, it had been about 15 hours since I last touched the stove and it was running at a low setting. The stove is an Alaska Kodiac hand fired with hopper. Here is a link. It is going to get cold this week so I should get a better feel for this coal thing over the next few days.
http://www.alaskastove.com/kodiak-hopper.html

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 12, 2013 6:30 am

Sooo, to paraphrase----it is not the SHAKING---it's the SHAKER! ;)

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Tue. Nov. 12, 2013 7:33 am

Hey,.....if it's keeping me warm,....I wouldn't mind the noise at all!
Just remember, if you shake more than twice you're,.............never mind! :roll:

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Nov. 12, 2013 12:05 pm

anthony7812 wrote: ..... I have a Mark III and she can make some "nails on a chalkboard" noise if you make it. .......
Yepper - screeches like a banshee. Mine always has. One season I loaded up the linkage with never-seize - was quiet for a while, but went right back to squawking as soon as some flyash stuck to the lubricant. :roll:

She's a loud one - could hear it thru the house clear as day ... and this thing is in the basement. Not like your shaking for 5 hours a day non-stop though, so I don't see it as a big deal, unless the people in the building have major issues ....

In this state, there's always one or 2 in every building .... :roll:

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Nov. 15, 2013 2:02 am

It doesn't have to be exactly 12 hrs .... I shake at 7am .. then at 10pm ....

no issues ...

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Fri. Nov. 15, 2013 6:03 am

maybe your neighbor would rather hear the rattling of your bones as you shiver but don't shake

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Nov. 15, 2013 8:00 am

Carbon12 wrote:Hey,.....if it's keeping me warm,....I wouldn't mind the noise at all!
Just remember, if you shake more than twice you're,.............never mind! :roll:
:rofl: :rofl:

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 12:18 pm

I have to make sure I close the doors to my room and my daughter's room when I shake early in the morning as the sound of it has been known to wake both my wife and daughter up.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Nov. 22, 2013 12:21 pm

I can't stand anymore-- :doh: bop2 :roll2: :clap: toothy

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”