Considering Coal Heating...Am I on the Right Track?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 8:52 pm

KLook wrote:Well, almost right. The oil becomes the supplement to the coal boiler, but don't tell the insurance co that. ;) They only want to hear about oil or NG or Propane. It is ok to call the coal backup, but not primary heat.

Kevin
My brother only has a coal boiler in his home, the insurance company was fine with it once they heard he had a propane stove on a separate thermostat.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 8:54 pm

coalkirk wrote:I wish I had more time to elaborate but I don't right now. I've got 3 words for you. Boiler, boiler, boiler.
I know exactly the style home you have ...a home with a wonderful "get away" ability for everyone to have their own space! You are absolutely correct in your assumptions regarding the transfer of heat to all portions of an expanded multi level :cry:
Your not going to be heating the ceiling/floor above (at all) and your not going to be heating the finished lower level room (which im sure you have), and if you indeed have an "expanded" addition it will be like pulling teeth trying to get the warm toasy air into it from across the kitchen/dining area :cry:

The good news is you have oil heat and tankless h/w (the worst of the worst of the worst!!!) and nothing will please you more than taking that bleeding money pit and throwing it into a dumpster!

The bottom line is this... if you want a small little stove to heat the fireplace room and give some atmosphere at xmass with the tree than fine... if you wish to heat your whole house, save tons of money while doing... CoalKirk hit the nail on the head... for the love of god your perfectly set up for a coal boiler (if your new to coal and scared to take the plunge... get a coal boiler with oil backup Leisure Line WL-110 is my DREAM!!! you will never use the oil after you see how cheap and easy coal is (but at least its their to make you feel comfortable to take the plunge ;) )

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 9:14 pm

dcrane wrote:
coalkirk wrote:I wish I had more time to elaborate but I don't right now. I've got 3 words for you. Boiler, boiler, boiler.
I know exactly the style home you have ...a home with a wonderful "get away" ability for everyone to have their own space! You are absolutely correct in your assumptions regarding the transfer of heat to all portions of an expanded multi level :cry:
Your not going to be heating the ceiling/floor above (at all) and your not going to be heating the finished lower level room (which im sure you have), and if you indeed have an "expanded" addition it will be like pulling teeth trying to get the warm toasy air into it from across the kitchen/dining area :cry:

The good news is you have oil heat and tankless h/w (the worst of the worst of the worst!!!) and nothing will please you more than taking that bleeding money pit and throwing it into a dumpster!

The bottom line is this... if you want a small little stove to heat the fireplace room and give some atmosphere at xmass with the tree than fine... if you wish to heat your whole house, save tons of money while doing... CoalKirk hit the nail on the head... for the love of god your perfectly set up for a coal boiler (if your new to coal and scared to take the plunge... get a coal boiler with oil backup Leisure Line WL-110 is my DREAM!!! you will never use the oil after you see how cheap and easy coal is (but at least its their to make you feel comfortable to take the plunge ;) )
One correction. He has an indirect water heater, not a tankless. It's a great way to make hot water if you have a boiler.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Absolutely to all the above ! In old Rome,they would have said: E Pluribus Boiler ! I rest my case. Keep us posted and welcome to the Board. And yes,I've been sized for a straight-jacket,but I'm comfortable with that.... :o

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 9:56 pm

My brother only has a coal boiler in his home, the insurance company was fine with it once they heard he had a propane stove on a separate thermostat.
I believe that is what I said..... :?

Kevin

kcarr
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA-600 Custom & Probably the only guy in America with my Stoker Boiler in my Den.
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil as back up, mostly used for summer domestic hot water

Post by kcarr » Sun. Nov. 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Hello Jersey Hokie....Welcome to the forum. The guys on this forum have the best coal info in the world.

I probably live near you. I am in Bucks County, Quakertown, PA
I would be glad to show you my stoker boiler set up. Coal is the only way to go.
I easily save 50 to 60% on my heating costs and the house is twice as warm.
Although like you I have oil formerly as my primary heat...I have not burned oil for the
last 10 years. I would not burn it if they gave it to me free...
Check your private messages. Ken

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 5:12 am

KLook wrote:
I believe that is what I said..... :?

Kevin
Sort of. In his case it was very clear that the coal boiler is the PRIMARY central heating plant for the house. The propane fireplace is a backup.

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Mon. Nov. 04, 2013 5:30 am

Had no issue with insurance company for boiler in shop. I informed agent that wood boiler + swimming pool where removed and coal boiler was installed in shop per code.Insurance agent said policy has been update,thanks for calling.. :shock: :shock:

JerseyHokie

Post by JerseyHokie » Tue. Nov. 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. You all have me seriously considering going the boiler route, especially with the existing boiler 20 years old and probably needing to be replaced sometime in the near future anyways. REALLY intrigued by that LL WL-110 dual fuel boiler.

kstills
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110

Post by kstills » Tue. Nov. 05, 2013 6:05 pm

JerseyHokie wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. You all have me seriously considering going the boiler route, especially with the existing boiler 20 years old and probably needing to be replaced sometime in the near future anyways. REALLY intrigued by that LL WL-110 dual fuel boiler.
And you have Hendricks Coal right in your (our) backyard to deliver the Anth to you whenever you need it. :)

I looked at a stove first, and the cost of one was close enough to the cost of the boiler (WL110) that it was a no brainer to go with the boiler. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Tue. Nov. 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Dual fuel boilers can be a good idea in certain circumstances. Just realize switching between fuels is NOT automatic and will require a small tool box and requisite knowledge to do so.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Nov. 06, 2013 7:20 am

Carbon12 wrote:Dual fuel boilers can be a good idea in certain circumstances. Just realize switching between fuels is NOT automatic and will require a small tool box and requisite knowledge to do so.
the only purpose the dual fuel feature on the wl110 is their for in my mind is to get someone who has never burned coal before "the courage" to try make the leap... I don't know anyone who has a wl110 actually use it to burn oil :lol: but if they wanted to or needed to they certainly could
In terms of learning about their use, their features, their installation, etc... You should make a call to leisure line and simply ask for a good time that Matt or Dave can spend 5 minutes with you on the phone to learn about the wl110 (no matter what you do in the end, this call is well worth it!)

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Wed. Nov. 06, 2013 7:58 am

I would think that the manufacturers would figure out a way to make the conversion of coal to oil and back again easier for less mechanically inclined customers. Would be a great selling point in their favor. Obviously a coal boilers efficiency would be less with the oil back up burning but designing something that only required a flip of a switch would be desirable for most home owners. I guess the cost of doing so makes it prohibitive for the manufacturers.

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Wed. Nov. 06, 2013 8:36 am

Just had a thought,...I know,..scary! How about some sort of fuel oil fired instantaneous water heater device plumbed into the boiler piping? Turn the stoker of and turn the instantaneous oil heater on. That way no nozzle to gum up or CAD cell to fry. Can I patent this design??? Lol!

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Wed. Nov. 06, 2013 8:42 am

Ha! They have something that might work and it's direct vent too!

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 153.5KB | image.jpg

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”