dingmansblackrock

Post by dingmansblackrock » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Just joined the forum as I intend on purchasing a stove hopefully this year but more realistically next year. If this year it would most definitely need to be used, if next year possibly new. My house is about 1900 sg ft. with two stories. My question is.... Can I vent a stainless steel chimney from the rear of the stove to the exterior from the 1st floor, and vent to the second floor from the top of the stove. The first floor going to the exterior is a living area, and the top vent would be going to the interior of a bedroom. I've currently been looking at Reading, Leisureline, Keystoker, and Alaska, any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 9:47 pm

You want to vent the flue gasses straight out the back, and duct hot air from the top of the stove? That should be fine.

How will the cold air get back to the stove?

dingmansblackrock

Post by dingmansblackrock » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks Rob, yes being unknowledgable, is this appropriate to have the rear vent going to the exterior and the top vent to the second floor? It seems as if you raise the question that this will not allow any air to go into the stove correct. My question to this would be, how do the stoves which only have a rear vent get the air in the stove? Thanks for your response.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 10:11 pm

welcome to the forum! we are certainly happy to have other live the dream with us.
your question is worded to confusingly for me to know what you mean (as you can see even Rob's head is doing a double take trying to answer you well)

Please re-write your question and explain in detail what your intention for each pipe to be for (flu gases, heating duct, flu pipe to go through interior of second floor with hopes of obtaining radiant heat of it, pipe out first floor intentioned to only go to height of second floor, etc,etc,etc.)??? some of these things are very bad/illegal, some are quite OK if done correctly... we need to be able to comprehend the question better.

EDIT: I see your using the term "vent" loosely...(better to use the term "Flu Pipe" when talking about the part that goes to chimney, your other so called "vent" may be a plenum or a top coal load door, etc... draft control is generally below the firebed. can you take some photo's of the stove? (this would help more than ANYTHING). Your stove could be an antique which sometimes has some really funky "vents", flappers, flippers, doors, etc. or it could be a stoker which is a whole other animal all together... we need make and model or photo's please :cry:

dingmansblackrock

Post by dingmansblackrock » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Ok, I'm basing this on the assumption I can purchase a stove with a 6" opening for venting for both the rear and top of the stove. The rear opening would exit the interior to the exterior for gasses through a 6" stainless steel pipe extending above the roof line by about 4 to 6'. The 6" opening on the top of the stove would be used to be vent heat flush to the floor of the interior of the 2nd story bedroom. Hope this clarifies better. Thank you.

dingmansblackrock

Post by dingmansblackrock » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Rear would be flu pipe, and top would be heating vent.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Oct. 24, 2013 7:34 am

Hey dingmansblackrock, the world of coal burning is your oyster. You have many, many options. Like me my first year of burning coal and stove selection was based on the money on hand when the weather got cool (limited)...so fast forward I now have 3, yes 3 hand feeders and that's ok. They are all for sale as I would love to have a stoker furnace or boiler, but that is another subject.
Rob had a very important question about return air and in a backhanded way combustion air for the stove. Use the search box in the upper right corner and put the coffee on! Welcome and good luck!

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Oct. 26, 2013 9:05 pm

You could, but id its up to your local code is unknown. Easiest way to find out is to ask your local inspector.

Or if you don't want to talk to the guberment, the stove manufacturer.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:11 am

now I understand totally what your trying to accomplish... suggest you look at the Hyfire or Pocono made my Leisure Line Stove Co. or a Keystoker 90/105 made by Keystoker stove Co. (id toss out the rest of your considerations and focas between these 4 units!)... you can now read, email and call each of these companies to discover the pluses & minuses of each of these 4 (I highly suggest you give additional consideration towards which of these two companies you "feel" good about in terms of receptiveness, response & trust) as this is a purchase for the long haul...

each of these companies and each of these 4 stoves models are tried, tested and earned our respect around here (so plenty of folks here can say wonderful things of each), I wont include your other suggestions so boldly as that... its up to YOU to now read, make some calls to these 2 companies and choose what feels right for YOU (you wont be disappointed with either of these 2 companies).

Best wishes and don't forget to keep us updated.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 8:51 am

Flue gas (the gaseous end product component of burning coal) must exhaust safely and properly out the chimney, and the heat from the stove must be transmitted (somehow, even if by direct radiation) to the home, and rule #1 of any carbon based fuel is that never the twain shall meet. The meeting (intended here as in "mixing") of the two can be fatal.

Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 9:12 am

dcrane wrote:now I understand totally what your trying to accomplish... suggest you look at the Hyfire or Pocono made my Leisure Line Stove Co. or a Keystoker 90/105 made by Keystoker stove Co. (id toss out the rest of your considerations and focas between these 4 units!)... you can now read, email and call each of these companies to discover the pluses & minuses of each of these 4 (I highly suggest you give additional consideration towards which of these two companies you "feel" good about in terms of receptiveness, response & trust) as this is a purchase for the long haul...

each of these companies and each of these 4 stoves models are tried, tested and earned our respect around here (so plenty of folks here can say wonderful things of each), I wont include your other suggestions so boldly as that... its up to YOU to now read, make some calls to these 2 companies and choose what feels right for YOU (you wont be disappointed with either of these 2 companies).

...is there KEYSTOKER reps on this site now ?? (besides actual users??)
....mes got some Q's...and frankly its tough sometimes to talk to them during the day...
just curious...

dingmansblackrock

Post by dingmansblackrock » Sun. Oct. 27, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks to all! Feel fortunate living in NE PA to be able to travel to Berwick or Schuylkill Haven to speak with some of the reps directly. Realistically won't be able to purchase new till next year, but at least should have a knowledgeable plan when the time comes. If anyone is considering upgrading their current stove, I'd consider used just as long as it suits my needs.

Greyhound
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Post by Greyhound » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Just as a real life example. I have the Keystoker 105. My gases are expelled via stove pipe to my brick chimney. Hot air is vented to my furnace ductwork, via a 12 inch piece of flexible ductwork. The cold air returns that were already in place return to my oil furnace. By removing the lower front panel this "cold" (really warmed, but cooler) air is now able to be taken in by my stove which sets right adjacent to the furnace. The blower on the Keystoker is more than adequate to reach the first floor, but needs some boosters to reach the second. The stove is in an unfinished basement.

Many stove dealers take trade ins, you could always check there as well, for a used stove.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with Leisure Line stoves with more heat output and larger blowers.

Rick

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Rigar wrote:
dcrane wrote:now I understand totally what your trying to accomplish... suggest you look at the Hyfire or Pocono made my Leisure Line Stove Co. or a Keystoker 90/105 made by Keystoker stove Co. (id toss out the rest of your considerations and focas between these 4 units!)... you can now read, email and call each of these companies to discover the pluses & minuses of each of these 4 (I highly suggest you give additional consideration towards which of these two companies you "feel" good about in terms of receptiveness, response & trust) as this is a purchase for the long haul...

...is there KEYSTOKER reps on this site now ?? (besides actual users??)
....mes got some Q's...and frankly its tough sometimes to talk to them during the day...
just curious...
certainly we have folks here well in tune to Keystoker : pvolcko & nwaelder (coal troll reps), Flyer5 & Matthaus (leisure line reps) plus plenty of private users of Keystoker's (im not sure if Richard has offered for them to have a rep on the forum or not?)
as I stated before... if you find it that difficult to talk to, communicate with, seek help from ANY particular company providing a product or service than DONT BUY that product!

Rigar
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 150
Coal Size/Type: anthracite rice

Post by Rigar » Mon. Oct. 28, 2013 4:58 pm

in keystokers defense....they have ALWAYS answered any questions...(although Don -there is two....so im not sure which one....his last name escapes me....oh yeah!!
its Don Imababybitch). I think hes slovakian?
...any ways...not always easy to talk to them because of my schedule sometimes...not theirs
...their product is great

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”