Need Advise on New Stove

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Aug. 12, 2013 5:56 pm

gunloader55 wrote:I'm looking at a crawford 40 does anyone know anyhing about this stove,and how will it compare with glenwood #6 is one stove made better or operate differant. Want to thank everyone for all the help.
Well there young man you just might have stepped in a pile of good luck. I just happen to have recently bought one that I had restored just for me. I am more than impressed with it. It is a top quality stove in every category. It's heat out put will be plenty for you and it has the suspended, internal fire pot for maximum efficiency at low temperatures. The castings on it are very high quality and heavy duty. It is really put together well. You couldn't buy a better stove.
Here is a link to read about my Crawford 40. I will be making videos about it this year and soon I will be putting up some more detailed pictures of it.
Click on link below.

Okay, I Think This Will Be the Last One, Maybe.

gunloader55

Post by gunloader55 » Mon. Aug. 12, 2013 10:54 pm

I found restored 40 but haven't seen pics of it yet,do they all have the dutch oven and do they have back plate also.I'm liking what I hearing on this stove, just want to get it right stove to last till i'm gone if you know what I mean.Never did like doing things over cost to much more ways than one.Guys I really thank everyone for your input for us new coal burners.I will post pics as I go along.

thanks vic

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Tue. Aug. 13, 2013 6:57 am

the Crawford 40 is almost identical to the "Our Glenwood" (suspended firepot, dutch oven w/grate, true full baseburner!)... the only obvious difference is the size of the stove (the Crawford 40 appears to be a smaller stove), the "Our Glenwood" has a firepot dia. of 15" and I think the Crawford is about 12" (William can verify that for us?)

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Tue. Aug. 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello Gunloader. I too am new to the forum and after alot of late nights browsing the forum decided on a Glenwood. Knew nothing about burning coal. Tried it in my fireplaces with coal grate and had no luck. Fast forward a year and there's a Glenwood in my basement. Hour after set up I had a nice coal fire going on a 80 degree day. Granted a little pricey, but with the money I'm hoping to save on oil the ROI shouldn't take long. Plus I just like playing with fire. My son's going to go to school and tell everyone there's a steam engine in his basement (he's four). Any questions just ask. Matt

gunloader55

Post by gunloader55 » Tue. Aug. 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Dcrane,If giving the choice between glenwood 6 or crawford 40 which one do you buy and why? The glenwood appears bigger and may have better air circulation with bottom and top nickle rings,am I right in this?

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Aug. 14, 2013 2:46 am

gunloader55 wrote:Dcrane,If giving the choice between glenwood 6 or crawford 40 which one do you buy and why? The glenwood appears bigger and may have better air circulation with bottom and top nickle rings,am I right in this?
Since I own both of these stove models, I can tell you, the Number 6 is larger than the Crawford 40. The Crawford has a fire pot that is 12" X 17 " deep. It can probably hold 45 pounds of coal. The Glenwood No 6 can hold 60-65 pounds if it is nut sized coal.
They are both supremely efficient stoves and both quite desirable. I have the answer-buy both of them.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Wed. Aug. 14, 2013 6:46 am

wsherrick wrote:
gunloader55 wrote:Dcrane,If giving the choice between glenwood 6 or crawford 40 which one do you buy and why? The glenwood appears bigger and may have better air circulation with bottom and top nickle rings,am I right in this?
Since I own both of these stove models, I can tell you, the Number 6 is larger than the Crawford 40. The Crawford has a fire pot that is 12" X 17 " deep. It can probably hold 45 pounds of coal. The Glenwood No 6 can hold 60-65 pounds if it is nut sized coal.
They are both supremely efficient stoves and both quite desirable. I have the answer-buy both of them.
After viewing Williams video's 1000 times I've concluded that the Our Glenwood I have is LARGER than the Glenwood #6 (maybe its sized more like an #8?), I have just agreed to get it to a very trusted friend of the forum who I know will use it or make sure its appreciated by someone, I wish my circumstances were different or I'd never let this stove go for any price! I wish it was as simple and easy as saying "If you need a large baseburner, just go purchase an Our Glenwood or Glenwood #8" but these stoves don't work like that.... they are like hens teeth because I've called every stove shop in the country and I cannot find an Our Glenwood 111 available at any of them (and the two Glenwood 6's and 8's I have found in mainland USA are always SOLD) :mad3:

You are in the correct forum to find one of these works of art and learn about them... but its a process and it takes effort and work to make it all come together... but as our good friend Wil' says (in the end you will have a lifetime of "the best" of sheer genius in form & function of our forefathers and a product that we cannot build or match the way they designed & built these years ago). An oak style can be duplicated and/or china can copy, a modern can be duplicated, a cannon style can be duplicated and built...all in cost effective ways to make it "feasible".... A TRUE BASEBURNER CANNOT (not cost effectively anyways!)

As far as which one would I buy... as William says, Id buy any that I could get my hands on for the right price. Having sayed that... For me the smaller baseburner is better since Im probably going to have to be in a small home by myself soon, I would opt for a Glenwood if given the choice simply to obtain the brand name of a "Glenwood" but others may prefer other names like Crawford if they live near the factory or whatnot? The problem is that with these stoves sometimes their are zero options to be THAT picky and if you have opportunity you need to take it!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Aug. 14, 2013 8:50 am

Maybe a little radical here but my personnal opinion on the antique stoves brand/name is not the most important thing to consider when looking for a good antique stove.
Most of the antique stoves are excellent stoves IF and ONLY IF: restored like when new. The rest is only a personnal question. If you look at something many many times your brain will tell you: go for this...it's the best.
Some say that American products are the best and the best for American economy but drive imported vehicules...
I only drive American (including Canada) vehicules and I'm proud of it, I do what I say. Sorry for the Japs, Kore... lovers but not for me.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Wed. Aug. 14, 2013 9:31 am

nortcan wrote:Maybe a little radical here but my personnal opinion on the antique stoves brand/name is not the most important thing to consider when looking for a good antique stove.
Most of the antique stoves are excellent stoves IF and ONLY IF: restored like when new. The rest is only a personnal question. If you look at something many many times your brain will tell you: go for this...it's the best.
Some say that American products are the best and the best for American economy but drive imported vehicules...
I only drive American (including Canada) vehicules and I'm proud of it, I do what I say. Sorry for the Japs, Kore... lovers but not for me.
I agree totally... but If given the choice between similar products (BMW or Audi)... I pick BMW to have that brand name (other may pick Audi for that brand name)... does not mean one is better than the other ;)

gunloader55

Post by gunloader55 » Wed. Aug. 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Glad to hear i'm not alone on this,I always try to buy American if I can or make myself.Sometimes made it myself or do without
but we are being forced to give our country away.Maybe if we flat tax and term limits our children may have a chance.If I can help coal indust. save jobs great.Well guess everyone knows where this old man stands,wife says i'm to crumpy and set in my ways.

Do anyone know about a mistletoe base heater? found one that needs restored why made it are thy good stoves.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Thu. Aug. 15, 2013 4:33 am

gunloader55 wrote:Glad to hear i'm not alone on this,I always try to buy American if I can or make myself.Sometimes made it myself or do without
but we are being forced to give our country away.Maybe if we flat tax and term limits our children may have a chance.If I can help coal indust. save jobs great.Well guess everyone knows where this old man stands,wife says i'm to crumpy and set in my ways.

Do anyone know about a mistletoe base heater? found one that needs restored why made it are thy good stoves.
This thread may shed a lil' light on the Mistletoe made by Magee Stove Co. (which was built by Weir at some point in its history)... Weir Stove Co. of course is what most of us call "Glenwood" :lol:
Magee & Weir

The Weir Stove Co. was a MONSTER operation based in Taunton Ma. that produced parts and also stoves for many smaller company's (of course their own stoves were called "Glenwood" stoves) but their operation produced parts for many stoves.
This is why when you asked if given a choice of what brand baseburner to use (as if a choice was possible) I would opt for the brand name "Glenwood" merely because of its name recognition and the Weir Stove Co. (not because one may be better or worst than others).

gunloader55

Post by gunloader55 » Thu. Aug. 15, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi Guys, Well have question about a wings best 110x base heater,who made stove it looks just like glenwood #6? Thanks got to make chose very soon,just sold the victor queen and want new stove in place for winter.Does it have dutch oven also?

wsherrick

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Aug. 16, 2013 3:37 am

gunloader55 wrote:Hi Guys, Well have question about a wings best 110x base heater,who made stove it looks just like glenwood #6? Thanks got to make chose very soon,just sold the victor queen and want new stove in place for winter.Does it have dutch oven also?
Wings Best stoves are another competitor of Glenwood. Their stoves are virtually identical in design and function. None of the Oak Style Base Heaters have the dutch oven. The cylindrical base heaters like the Our Glenwood Series and the others with the internally suspended fire pots have the oven. The oven was almost a standard feature with this particular stove design.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.

Post by dcrane » Fri. Aug. 16, 2013 7:32 am

wsherrick wrote:
gunloader55 wrote:Hi Guys, Well have question about a wings best 110x base heater,who made stove it looks just like glenwood #6? Thanks got to make chose very soon,just sold the victor queen and want new stove in place for winter.Does it have dutch oven also?
Wings Best stoves are another competitor of Glenwood. Their stoves are virtually identical in design and function. None of the Oak Style Base Heaters have the dutch oven. The cylindrical base heaters like the Our Glenwood Series and the others with the internally suspended fire pots have the oven. The oven was almost a standard feature with this particular stove design.
I have a lil' grate inside my oven William! Was this for roasting walnuts or something? Is this grate original to the Our Glenwood because ive never seen it in the other Glenwood Baseburners?
I hate being a kiss azz :mad: but....have I ever told you how lucky we are to have you here William :dancing:

gunloader55

Post by gunloader55 » Fri. Aug. 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Well I've made decision to get wings best base burner from Emery, it's in the works hope to have in place by nov.will be sure to post pics.Thanks for all the information tell you i'm glad I went this way than new coal stove.Can't wait till i'm setting with my dog warming by my feet

Regards Vic

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”