McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jul. 17, 2013 10:06 am

JayEm2519 wrote:All -
Some may say I will not get a biased answer here, but I have been trolling your boards the past few days and you all seem level headed and honest.
My wife and I are seriously considering purchasing a house in Dallas, Pa. One issue we have discussed is the fact that the primary heating type is a coal furnace. There also exists an oil furnace, as well as a propane fireplace. I guess all that's missing is a wood stove and gas furnace!!!
We have absolutely no experience with coal; our present house, as well as the houses we grew up in, were natural gas.
My main concerns, as I'm sure you've all heard time and time again, is safety.
1. We have 2 young children; I am concerned about, for lack of a better term, indoor air pollution. I'm not as concerned about CO, beacuse we have monitors. I'm more concerned about dust particles.
2. Dust in general; an acquaintance tells me his father heats with a coal furnace, and the only dust problem is in the room with the actual furnace. For us, this would be in teh basement.
I thought I was ok with the possibility of coal, but growing up in the area, I have been inundated with horror stories when I asked a general Facebook question of "what are your thoughts on coal heat, pros/cons". HELP!!
Thanks!!
When you do go again check if it is forced air or circulated water. Water system would be a Boiler, Air system is a Furnace. If you don't get a pictuer, let us know the color of it.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jul. 17, 2013 11:16 am

Lisa's comment regarding holding onto the ash pan is a good one! I had a 'cloud' experience in the basement once a while back when I stepped on the cat as I was carrying it outside! It's good practice to see where the family pets are laying in proximity to the stove/stoker/furnace since the radiant heat attracts them like a magnet.

Seriously other than that mishap, the ash dust is very manageable. I use two pans allowing the just-removed full ash pan to cool next to the stoker for a few hours before taking it outside to empty it. I also keep a shop vac next to the stove and use it for quick clean ups as necessary. Now that I am using Wiz's idea for a coal vac to fill the hopper I have no dust from filling at all.

JayEm2519

Post by JayEm2519 » Wed. Jul. 17, 2013 1:46 pm

The fact that the furnace is in the basement seems to me like dust shouldn't be much of an issue. Who cares!!

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Thu. Jul. 18, 2013 6:57 am

JayEm2519 wrote:The fact that the furnace is in the basement seems to me like dust shouldn't be much of an issue. Who cares!!
that's the spirt You will find that your fears will be swiftly put to rest within a week of using it. We still want pictures though when your able!!!

JayEm2519

Post by JayEm2519 » Thu. Jul. 18, 2013 7:13 am

Saw the house again last night, and made an offer. Tried to get pictures, but the selling realtor was a little weird. If they accept, pictures will follow. You folks have been great, and have really helped alot!!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 18, 2013 8:03 am

Good luck on the offer my friend :up:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”