Coal Storage

General energy and coal related topics, news and basic information. If you do not know where to post your topic post it here.
coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 7:03 am

I'm getting tired of working on my coal storage problems and want a gravity wagon 150-500 bushels to store my rice. Other ideas would be welcome. I can load with my skid steer and pull it around without problems. Does anybody have any better ideas? Nothing fancy - horse farmer prices.

Got some general info and it's looks good:

Capacity of a Gravity (Grain) Wagon to Hold 6 Tons of Pea?

Of course, an auger system into 5 gall buckets or even one ton sacks that I have would be an added bonus.

**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Last edited by coalnewbie on Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by an unreasonable adult.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 7:11 am

As you well know,farmers don't give up old and worn out equipt too often unless it's completly unfixable or un usable. Look more towards farm/equipt auctions or older farm repair shops,they usually have lots of spare/junk/fixable equipt laying in the weeds.If it's staying on the farm,you won't need good running gear.

coalnewbie

Post Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 7:13 am

Yes I can drag it around wit the Cat so running gear is low on the list. High on the list is near Southern NYS as transport will kill me. I wish I could be like Poconoeagle. Give him a pile of iron filings and a hammer and he will create one.

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 12:04 pm

coalnewbie wrote:I'm getting tired of working on my coal storage problems and want a gravity wagon 150-500 bushels to store my rice. Other ideas would be welcome. I can load with my skid steer and pull it around without problems. Does anybody have any better ideas? Nothing fancy - horse farmer prices.

Got some general info and it's looks good:

Capacity of a Gravity (Grain) Wagon to Hold 6 Tons of Pea?

Of course, an auger system into 5 gall buckets or even one ton sacks that I have would be an added bonus.

**Broken Link(s) Removed**
It's tough to come up with a solution if you don't know what the exact problem is............

Why do you need something portable?
Steamup

"You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."
Sam Levenson
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Albert Einstein

coalnewbie

Post Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Hmm Steam, there goes that engineering training again and being a newly minted PE I would expect nothing less. Portability is a like to have thing as the coal store can be hidden from view when the over rich riders come to our humble establishment but when the SHTF I want it close where I can get at it. I was looking at 7' across round tank with a conical base and a 2" auger built in the base this morning that is real cheap ($400). My natural sense of cheapness may win out (again). Any other ideas out there?

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 1:30 pm

The round tank with auger doesn't sound like a bad deal. I haven't seen used gravity wagons for less than $1000.

2" auger sounds small. I haven't seen one less than 4" unless on a coal stoker.

Don't forget to think about how to drain water if it is an open top tank.
Steamup

"You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself."
Sam Levenson
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Albert Einstein

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Have any of you successfully used a vertical standing grain bin (feed bin) with conical discharge for coal storage and dispensing?

Something like the one seen in this link, only perhaps a bit larger (200-300 bushels): http://www.brockgrain.com/products.php?product_id=304
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Thats what I want... a big ole' silo next to my house :cry: I think are ole friend coalnebs is gettin' old :lol:

Why not just do like they did 100 years ago and have the truck back up to basement window that leads to a big coal bin in the basement?

Dirty Steve
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil- Off line
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KA-6

Post Fri. Apr. 26, 2013 2:04 pm

lsayre wrote:Have any of you successfully used a vertical standing grain bin (feed bin) with conical discharge for coal storage and dispensing?

Something like the one seen in this link, only perhaps a bit larger (200-300 bushels): http://www.brockgrain.com/products.php?product_id=304
If coal comes in wet and freezes....... These would work great if you want next to the house, the coal came in super dusty dry , and it does not leak water (beware of used ones). My old man is a corn burner and has one behind his house with a flex auger under the sidewalk, through the basement wall, twisting and turning to where it can dump directly over his corn hopper. :D Of course he and my brothers grow 5-6 hundred acres of the yellow gold!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”