What's the Best Way to Calculate How Much $$$ Coal Saves?

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Apr. 22, 2013 7:29 am

Rob R. wrote:The simple method is to see how many gallons of fuel you used to burn on average, multiply that by market price this past winter, and then compare to what you spent on coal.

My house as an example: 1700 gallons x $3.80 = $6460. This winter I burned $2100 in coal (and was warmer :D ), so I saved $4360.
That's how I do it except my numbers are quite as high. 800 gllons x $3.80= $3040. I burned $900.00 in coal. So I saved $2140.
And another significant factor that must be considered is the comfort level. While saving 2k the house is MUCH warmer.

Joeski

Post by Joeski » Mon. Apr. 22, 2013 3:25 pm

coalkirk wrote:
Rob R. wrote:The simple method is to see how many gallons of fuel you used to burn on average, multiply that by market price this past winter, and then compare to what you spent on coal.

My house as an example: 1700 gallons x $3.80 = $6460. This winter I burned $2100 in coal (and was warmer :D ), so I saved $4360.
That's how I do it except my numbers are quite as high. 800 gllons x $3.80= $3040. I burned $900.00 in coal. So I saved $2140.
And another significant factor that must be considered is the comfort level. While saving 2k the house is MUCH warmer.
Yes the warm even heat is really great instead of the hot air oil furnace turning on every few minutes. the little bit of work is so worth the savings & comfort we get with coal.

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Mon. Apr. 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Yes there are a lot of variables such as weather, comfort level, remodeling of the structure and heating systems, etc.

While the before coal/after coal (BC/AC) method is good if you have a history, there are often changes in the comfort level as pointed out by Coalkirk.

Another method would be simply to take the amount of coal burned and plug it into the Fuel Comparison Calculator. Use the combustion efficiency of the equipment you would have used - such as 80% for oil. Plug in the market price and that will give you a close theoratical amount you would have spent on a different fuel.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Apr. 22, 2013 5:11 pm

The Mayor runs one of the best Fuel Comparison Calculators I've come across. Many are nowhere near as flexible.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Tue. Apr. 23, 2013 8:23 pm

You guys must pay one hell of rate for electric,my bill was $159.31 for 1790 KWS thats $.089/KW (taxes and all the BS that goes with it)but thats my DHW + all the power needs in a house with four people and lets not forget the heat pump(real crappy heat by the way :x ).I burned 6000# this year at $.14/# out the door $840.00,that keeps the house at 78*to 80* with a temp differential less then 4* throughout the house now with the heat pump It's 72* at best upstairs and 62* down,the oil furnace is just a tad better(but It's 40 years old)then the heat pump but just using the BTU figures I would burn about 575 gal of oil X $3.80 = $2185.00 - $840.00 = $1340 + the comfort $(priceless) so my savings = a lot :D.I am sorry if I lost anyone but you get the picture,I'm sure I could do better with a new furnace and heat pump but at the tune of $6 to $8K and still have half a cold house I will keep burning the black rock.Keepaeyeonit

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Apr. 23, 2013 11:27 pm

steamup wrote:Yes there are a lot of variables such as weather, comfort level, ....
The neighbor has been taking the ashes, the boiler is in the garage and we didn't get the jacket on it yet so it's always at least 60 in there. First time he came in he's like I cannot believe how warm you keep it in this garage. I had to explain the jacket wasn't on there yet, at some point we'll probably put in a few radiators and zone it.

Joeski

Post by Joeski » Wed. Apr. 24, 2013 12:27 am

Richard S. wrote:
steamup wrote:Yes there are a lot of variables such as weather, comfort level, ....
The neighbor has been taking the ashes, the boiler is in the garage and we didn't get the jacket on it yet so it's always at least 60 in there. First time he came in he's like I cannot believe how warm you keep it in this garage. I had to explain the jacket wasn't on there yet, at some point we'll probably put in a few radiators and zone it.
I know when my son & I visited you to get those oil tanks it was so nice & toasty in your garage which by the way is anyone's dream sized garage. At least all the ones I ever owned sucked compared to your garage. Mine are always so tight. Yours seemed to be at least double a 2 car garage. But anyhow the Van Wert was heating it up mighty finely.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”