Jotul 507 Inquiry

Cool Customer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark I

Post by Cool Customer » Fri. Mar. 29, 2013 11:53 am

Hi all, just registered. I'm planning to install a small coal stove and a class A chimney in my ~700 sq. ft. home. Due to small volume space and tight clearances to furniture, it's been a fruitless search so far as concerns identifying a stove that will fit here. I've noticed that the Jotul 507 meets my requirements better than any other stove so far identified. The small footprint, reasonable clearances (30"), and solid reputation have raised my interest.

Can anyone give me a little background on the 507? When were they produced, when why discontinued, how many were sold, etc. They seem to be fairly rare in terms of units selling on ebay or craigslist, so I fear it might take forever to find a serviceable unit. Do these things still come on the market? How long does such a stove last, and if I find one with some issues, what are the issues that should scare me away? What likely issues can be corrected without a resident welder?

Lastly, are there any quality coal stoves currently produced that have a similar footprint to the 507? The only stove small enough that I've seen is the Morso 1410/1440, and the design is not rugged enough for the long haul.

Thanks in advance for any useful info on the 507, and I plan to spend a lot of time here until this project materializes.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Mar. 29, 2013 2:54 pm

The Jotul 507's were made in Norway. They are great little stoves and would heat your 700 sq. ft. home very well. Part availability is the biggest problem. They had formed fire brick and metal inserts that fit above them. I believe they were made in the 70's. Not sure why they were discontinued. They do pop up from time to time in varying condition. I've attached a copy of the owners manual for you.

Terry

ps. It would help if you filled out your profile so we know if you are in Timbuktu or elsewhere.

Attachments

Jotul manual.pdf
.PDF | 5.6MB | Jotul manual.pdf

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Fri. Mar. 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Welcome to the forum CC, tell us a little about you house. Do you have a basement to heat as well? You wouldn't have to worry about clearances to furniture if the stove was in your basement. Your options are practically endless with the size space you want to heat. Sounds like you may have your heart set on a jotul 507, the folks that have 'em love 'em, but don't let that scare you, I love what my stove does for me.....saves me a ton of money, and if another stove did that for me I would love it just the same. My hand feeder is in my basement and my upstairs average 74* for the winter, this is a great time of year to ask questions and research. Good luck finding your stove..how far from millinocket are you?

Cool Customer

Post by Cool Customer » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 8:47 am

Michaelanthony, my home is 24 x 32, unheated garage under living space. Modern construction, well insulated, currently heated by K1 Toyo (which I hope to use spring and fall when coal stove isn't fired up). I'm not set on Jotul, just that I'm down to the last inch on fitting a stove in here, and the small footprint is critical. I'm in Mount Vernon, a couple hundred miles from Millinocket I guess. Thanks for your interest.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 9:01 am

I bought a new (unfired) 507 on Ebay last year and used it for one year. GREAT little stove and other posters such as the snowman and others have used them too. To know one is to love it, so provided it gives you the heat output you need you are looking for the right thing but watch out for overfired units - you do know what to look for right?. There are other good small handfired stoves out there that are not expensive. How about a Chubby or an old Harman MK I or II. Inexpensive and parts can be obtained. Many other choices too. Lots of good stoves out there and a lot of fun picking.

Cool Customer

Post by Cool Customer » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Coalnewbie, no I don't know what to look for. The idea of buying an antique stove is a little daunting. I'd like very much to buy a new stove, but they don't seem to make them with a footprint as small as the 507. Even Harman Mark I is to big (physically) for my space, and I don't want a unit with a fan or blower of any kind. Just a small coal burner that will last 25 years.

I'm thinking things I would look for are:
* warped cast iron
* grates that look beat and on their last legs
* shaker mechanism worn out
* baffle plates rusted out
* cracks

Please add to the list, anyone. Thanks.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 12:24 pm

CC, I know that my Hitzer 50-93 can be controlled down to a real, real low heat out put--you might look into a Hitzer 30-95-- next size down output wise-- for that 700 sq. Hopefully Grizz will chime in on this idea.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 12:42 pm

So footprint is a big feature for you and yes the Jotul is almost unique although the Chubby is small too. Other posters will chime in with their favorites too. LOL.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Cool Customer

Welcome to NEPA!

Check out Chubby Jr's. They have a very small footprint and they pack a great heating punch in an idiot proof design. While Jr's are not currently being made they will be starting next year. (Perhaps this coming Summer). I found my Jr on CL for $100 and it has been like a member of the family since it was first lit.

Depending on your space requirements I suppose a regular Chubby may work as well. You can find the specs for them here: http://www.chubbystove.com/

Keep us posted!

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 3:18 pm

I should mention since you have emphasized that the foot print is a big factor that any radiant stove requires 36" of clearance to combustibles such as a wall, furniture, etc. Also I would not consider a Jotul 507 to be an antique stove, just a classic. I happen to have one available but you are very far away from Maryland.

Cool Customer

Post by Cool Customer » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks for the replies all. Chubby Jr. is interesting; was disappointed they are not for sale new at this time. Yes, small footprint is important to get those required clearances without losing my couch or desk. Any help on what to look for, and what to avoid, in a classic or antique stove would be appreciated. I get the impression that grates need to be replaced periodically, and how on earth do you do that on an antique stove when parts are not available?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 4:09 pm

You could consider a Franco Belge. Because it is a circulator stove clearance to combustibles is 12 inches. Measured from the center of the stove to combustibles on the sides is 28.5 inches while the Jotul would require 36 inches.

There are a lot around at cheap prices and it is a more efficient stove than the Jotul. Does not need manual damper or barometric damper and has hopper and thermostat which makes tending faster and easier. Ash pan is big so can go 24 hours before emptying. You also get a nice view of the fire.
Last edited by franco b on Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Cool

There are a couple of firms out there that do supply parts for "antique" and "classic" stoves. Some people have a second unit for a parts stove. Some have had parts cast and others have made their own replacement parts.

If you are down on the North Shore of Taxachusetts you are welcome to come by a see my Jr in person. They are great stoves and parts are always available from the manufacturer. Crane also makes a small footprint coal stove. A #44. The Jotul, Godin Petit, Chubby Jr and the Crane 44 are about the smallest coal stoves I know of. I am sure there are some others and hopefully others will chime in with those names. Regardless of what you choose you are going to love the heat of coal. :D

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 4:34 pm

I happen to have one available but you are very far away from Maryland.
Philistine, how can you just coldy sell off a family member....... HAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.... he's not getting mine! Remember, he who dies with the most stoves dies broke and divorced. Clean it up and use it as a plant pot display ..... geez.

Cool Customer

Post by Cool Customer » Sat. Mar. 30, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks for replies. Will research Hitzer 30-95, Chubby Jr. and Franco Belge.

What about a Petit Godin? Are they "toys" or real workhorse stoves? Any idea on space that one would heat?

Return to “Imported Hand Fired Coal Stoves Using Anthracite”