Multi Match Club. Who's in?

mr1precision
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130

Post by mr1precision » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 6:59 pm

I just started my AA-130 for the second time....so far. Because of the warm weather I had an out fire a couple of few weeks ago. Last winter was very difficult because of the high temps. I hope we don't have such wild swings in temp again because there's nothing worse than listening to that oil burner running. I was hoping to be in the one match club someday but I don't see that happening anytime soon. So, I'm starting my own club, "The Multi match club"! This is not for those single match snobs! With all the experts here the membership should be pretty low! Whos else is in besides me?

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Im not in yet but by golly im sure ill join soon enough :roll: been burnin bout 7 weeks now on one match
when gretel lites off my chances of joining double 8-)

mr1precision

Post by mr1precision » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 7:58 pm

I'll be here for ya! :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 8:11 pm

What's the story with the outfire? Do you have a timer on that beast?

Mark (PA)
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1953 EFM520 Highboy

Post by Mark (PA) » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Maybe i'm just lucky but I've never had an outfire. I do have a good draft though.

Usually start my unit around Oct 10 and run until the end of May.

6 years so far since I started burning coal. sure do enjoy it.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 8:40 pm

I purposely waited till the end of October to attempt the One Match Club. :oops:
A week later I broke a grate, so now I'm on match number 2 :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 9:19 pm

I will be soon: 1 was for the Sunnyside and a second one in a few days/week for the Golden Bride :lol:

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 9:26 pm

'aven't started the Channing yet, don't go all in til I've seen a forcast of *30 minus for one week stretches at a time....since 07 it's always been around Oct-30th.

Prolly the end of next week according to the latest reports.

mr1precision

Post by mr1precision » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Rob R. wrote:What's the story with the outfire? Do you have a timer on that beast?
It's a long story but I have a really cappy draft. I usually bump up the thermastat to keep a load on it but I forgot.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 9:58 pm

No snobbery hear when it comes to match usage. I use at least three a year. Initial lite off in September. The wife likes to stay warm. If it drops below 76 in the house then she starts "I'm cold crank the stove up. "

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I shut the stove down for the pre-winter checkup and clean out to make sure everything is good to go for hard winter burning. Then I shut down when the weather breaks again and it hits 40 which is usually in late February or early March. I shut down, do a quick check and quick clean out again. So at a minimum I use three a year, unless I do something stupid like forget to put coal in the hopper, which normally happens at least twice then I use five a year minimum.

What did I win? Did I win something? Did I huh huh?

mr1precision

Post by mr1precision » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 10:06 pm

blrman07 wrote:No snobbery hear when it comes to match usage. I use at least three a year. Initial lite off in September. The wife likes to stay warm. If it drops below 76 in the house then she starts "I'm cold crank the stove up. "

Over the Thanksgiving holiday I shut the stove down for the pre-winter checkup and clean out to make sure everything is good to go for hard winter burning. Then I shut down when the weather breaks again and it hits 40 which is usually in late February or early March. I shut down, do a quick check and quick clean out again. So at a minimum I use three a year, unless I do something stupid like forget to put coal in the hopper, which normally happens at least twice then I use five a year minimum.

What did I win? Did I win something? Did I huh huh?
Oh, you won a free membership to our exclusive club. Congrats! :partyhat: :dancing: :dancing: :clap:

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 11:24 pm

Nice club you got here Steve! :D I was going to start a 37 match club last season, but never got around to it. :lol:

I'll be on the multi-match, multi-fuel club this year. I started out in early October burning squares of OSB from the roof deck of the back section of my barn. :D I had 11 sheets to dispose of, so this worked out well. To take the chill off I'd load the firebox of the Harman and let it rip. Temps would soar ... and in 1.5 hours they'd crash. I'd load up one more time and let that go. So 3 hours of red hot burn time would make the house tolerable, and make a bit of hot water. Can't mind that for free. Nothin' like good ol' coal though. It COVERED everything in thick, tarry creosote.

Finally burned the last of it on the 3rd and dumped coal on top of it. It's been going ever since. Nice to have the consistency of 24 hour burn times, over 1.5 hours!

So with the 11 sheets cut into squares, I think I'm on my 8th match. :dancing:

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Save matches and waste coal! No Way!!! Count me in.

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 4:50 pm

I was smart and bought myself some rocks with coal in it. Need I say more :roll: I r Smart. Can I be a part of this club. :surrender:

Jst a Vtr
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Salvo citation, modified as an add on forced hot air
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Duo-matic/Olsen (In workshop)
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut
Other Heating: Oil fired hot air

Post by Jst a Vtr » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 6:26 pm

I have got plenty of matches, havent had any fuel oil since 2004, have plenty of coal.
I may be Just a(dumb) Vermonter but I don't like being cold just to save a few matches.
Bill

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”