Blaschak Coal Sets Production Record

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Sep. 30, 2012 5:56 am

Excerpt from newspaper article Republican Herald 9-30-2012 online edition.

In 2011, the 75-year-old coal company's "run-of-mine" coal production, or that delivered from the mine to the preparation plant, exceeded 642,000 tons. Through the third quarter of 2012, Blaschak's run-of-mine coal production has surpassed 680,000 tons. The company expects that level to increase beyond 800,000 tons by the end of the year.

"It's a tremendous accomplishment and a tribute to all the people that work there," said Duane C. Feagley, executive director of the Pennsylvania Anthracite Council. "It's good for them as a company and for the overall industry."

Feagley said coal production is up 6.8 percent this year. Last year, production was up 25 percent, he said.

"I think what we are seeing with Blaschak is part of an overall trend in the industry with production keeping up with demand," Feagley said. "The market is going to have its ups and downs, but I think the long-term trend is upward for anthracite coal."

Driscoll also said the company's sales are up 14 percent over the year.

"So far this year, we had strong sales and we are certainly optimistic for the long term," Driscoll said. "It's a very volatile market. The second half of this year had some softness due to the economy but that's going to change and we are prepared to respond to that market."

Blaschak's increase in production has added more than 40 new jobs to the company over the last two years. Blaschak now employs about 150 people and expects that number to grow in the next year.

for full article go to:
http://republicanherald.com/news/blaschak-coal-co ... -1.1380965
Last edited by blrman07 on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved to the Energy, Coal News and Discussion

bustedwing
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: LL Pioneer
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Hot air oil

Post by bustedwing » Sun. Sep. 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Might also have something to do with smaller mines giving up and getting out because of excessive and crippling gov't regulation.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Sep. 30, 2012 12:16 pm

I wonder what percentage of this goes to Asia for their steel industries?

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Mon. Oct. 01, 2012 8:27 pm

lsayre wrote:I wonder what percentage of this goes to Asia for their steel industries?
lets try to keep enough here in USA to the prices down and avalible

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Oct. 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Dennis wrote:
lsayre wrote:I wonder what percentage of this goes to Asia for their steel industries?
lets try to keep enough here in USA to the prices down and avalible
Amen!

TAMNOZ

Post by TAMNOZ » Tue. Oct. 02, 2012 3:41 pm

How does Blaschak compare to UAE Harmony or South Tamaqua for quality? The other week I ran up to Harmony but they were't open on Sat. So I cut across Rt 54 to Hometown on my way to S. Tamaqua and drove right by Blaschak but wasn't sure if they were open.
Jim

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Oct. 03, 2012 8:28 am

I have only used blaschak once. I was going to run out so I bought two bags of rice at a local convenience store to get me to Saturday so I could get to UAE. Got it home cut it open and started dumping it in the stoker and it was so wet and heavy it slide right through the hopper and pushed the burning rice off the grate. I had to shovel it all back out and let it sit in a screen to dry out enough so I could put it back in and burn it. It burned OK but the UAE burns much hotter. Could have been due to excessive moisture in the bag or the coal. Which one I don't know.

Bottom line it was ok but I do prefer UAE. Now that I am only 10 minutes from the UAE depot, it's a no brainer. I don't have to load up with tons at a time. I can do it as buckets of coal as needed.

tom69z

Post by tom69z » Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 10:09 am

Blaschak is open saturday, but get there early, or you'll be waiting in line. MY Dad burns Blaschak 100% and has never had any issues in a hand fired Hitzer 50-93. Burns 24 hours on 1 shakedown. Just picked up 3 tons, I think its upto $195/ton now.
TAMNOZ wrote:How does Blaschak compare to UAE Harmony or South Tamaqua for quality? The other week I ran up to Harmony but they were't open on Sat. So I cut across Rt 54 to Hometown on my way to S. Tamaqua and drove right by Blaschak but wasn't sure if they were open.
Jim

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”