Homeowners Insurance

Jaeger

Post by Jaeger » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 7:53 pm

I'm running the dual boiler (Oil /Coal) and have had zero problems using ERIE for my insurance needs.

Just waiting for the steady cold to switch over.

Give them a call reasonable rates.

Jaeger

RS7
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska model 140
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil backup

Post by RS7 » Wed. Nov. 07, 2012 3:49 pm

I recently purchased a Alaska stocker and I added the stove to my home owners three weeks ago. I had oil heat as my primary and purchased the coal stove so I could save some money and turn the oil furnace off. When I added the coal stove to my home owners I told my insurance agent (nationwide) that I will be using the coal as a "supplemental" heat to the oil furnace. He had no problem with that and added it to my policy. It added an extra $25 per year to my premium. No big deal.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Mar. 08, 2013 8:39 am

About two months ago I had a guy come round. The Insurence company told me that he would be coming by. He never came inside, just walked around snapping pictures. Long story short, yesterday I get a letter with pix telling me what I need to "paint" in order to avoid some problem or cancellation before this policy expires. The house has cedar claps on it and around here allot of people don't paint them at all and let them grey naturally although they are usually shakes not claps. Never the less, because I have some paint peeling on soffets and around windows, they percieve a potential claim? I've had the same company for 15yrs now and have NEVER got a dime from them. It's been a total one way street of me paying them. Anyways they also tell me that I'm way under insured and `insist that I jack up the coverage to a half a million which is rediculous around here! That's about twice what I have on it now and was also the reason I switched to these folks from another company 15 yrs ago. I'm going inn to speak to them about it. Will update. :mad:
I think this "inspector" sells his services to the Insurence company by saying you'll get the fees you pay back when I'm done harrassing people through my BS evaluations and inspections. Nothing about the two coal stoves mind you, but lordy I got some paint peeling round sone windows and soffets! Plan on painting them this spring anyways but that's besides the point! ;)

Photog200
Baseburners & Antiques: Colonial Clarion cook stove, Kineo #15 base burner & 2 Geneva Oak Andes #517's
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by Photog200 » Mon. Apr. 29, 2013 1:07 pm

SteveZee wrote:About two months ago I had a guy come round. The Insurence company told me that he would be coming by. He never came inside, just walked around snapping pictures. Long story short, yesterday I get a letter with pix telling me what I need to "paint" in order to avoid some problem or cancellation before this policy expires. The house has cedar claps on it and around here allot of people don't paint them at all and let them grey naturally although they are usually shakes not claps. Never the less, because I have some paint peeling on soffets and around windows, they percieve a potential claim? I've had the same company for 15yrs now and have NEVER got a dime from them. It's been a total one way street of me paying them. Anyways they also tell me that I'm way under insured and `insist that I jack up the coverage to a half a million which is rediculous around here! That's about twice what I have on it now and was also the reason I switched to these folks from another company 15 yrs ago. I'm going inn to speak to them about it. Will update. :mad:
I think this "inspector" sells his services to the Insurence company by saying you'll get the fees you pay back when I'm done harrassing people through my BS evaluations and inspections. Nothing about the two coal stoves mind you, but lordy I got some paint peeling round sone windows and soffets! Plan on painting them this spring anyways but that's besides the point! ;)
Has anyone had issues insuring antique coal stoves?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Apr. 29, 2013 4:54 pm

My insurance asked me about WOOD stoves but not COAL .. so I did not volunteer the information. I imagine that it would have been $50/yr if I had a wood stove.

Go search out new insurance companies ... that will let them know how you feel

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Apr. 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Hahaha Steve! I have seen that multiple times and experienced it myself. I went after them HARD when they told me that about my rental. They had to back off completely. They tried to cancel my mother because of metal? around the barn? Then the chimney, then the breaker box(or lack of one). We beat them every time. They will try anything they think they can get away with to mitigate any liability. Oh, the paint thing. They told me that about the gable end of my rental, cedar shingles also. I asked them to provide detailed risk analysis of the increased risk because of the peeling paint. Pin drop. Just hold your ground. One Beacon was the big offender in Maine and Phoenix.

Kevin

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Mon. Apr. 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Wiz wrote:Recently I called my insurance company because of installing coal boiler. Only concern was if I ran out of coal how would dwelling be heated? I told them that oil boiler will kick on if water temp fell below coal boiler water settings. Got policy.
I guess the insurance co. thinks oil can never run out and you have direct pipeline to your home from Alaska? They should be asking... "how can you heat your home if oil runs out because you have no money left :mad: " :lol:

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Apr. 29, 2013 9:57 pm

dcrane wrote:
Wiz wrote:Recently I called my insurance company because of installing coal boiler. Only concern was if I ran out of coal how would dwelling be heated? I told them that oil boiler will kick on if water temp fell below coal boiler water settings. Got policy.
I guess the insurance co. thinks oil can never run out and you have direct pipeline to your home from Alaska? They should be asking... "how can you heat your home if oil runs out because you have no money left :mad: " :lol:
I never understood the insurance stance with oil. If a tank were to leak all the oil into the basement the house would be ruined. Also have you ever seen the after effects of a malfunctioning oil burner. Black oily soot everywhere.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Apr. 30, 2013 8:24 pm

I believe the reason behind this is, the insurance company is more than likely owned by some progressive moonbat. Coal doesn't fit in the CEO's worldview, so no policies for coal burners. This is how MA enforces their unconstitutional ban on kids dirtbikes & ATV's. If you happen to have one of the gov't friendly companies and they spy such vehicle in your garage, they threaten cancellation unless you remove the vehicle from your property. :sick: :mad:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Progressive insurance's CEO is one such moonbat (hence the name ... and stupid-assed commercials, I gather ... :roll: ).

The progressive onslaught is ramping up ....

top top

Post by top top » Wed. May. 01, 2013 3:22 pm

dcrane wrote:
I used to have an ins agency, so I can probably shed some light. The problem is with the actuaries, or "bean counters". There are not enough homes burning coal to get a baseline, making it impossible to assess the risk. For instance some of my companies had no problem with an open fireplace, but you couldn't have a wood stove anywhere on the property. Not even a boiler out in the yard. Then there is the "operator experience" factor. Problems with wood or coal heat is almost always due to bad install or bad operation, yet there is no way for the ins company to determine if you know what you're doing. If you don't fit into one of their pigeon holes they will not underwrite you. It makes no sense, that's just the way it is. Storing coal is so much safer than oil plus you can buy once per year instead of depending on monthly deliveries. Plus my stove works without electric, oil or gas furnace will not. I couldn't even insure my own house, I had to buy from a small local company. They didn't even want to see my stove or know anything about it. Just told me to follow code.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”