Medina County Ohio and Coal Usage

General energy and coal related topics, news and basic information. If you do not know where to post your topic post it here.
lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Sun. Jun. 17, 2012 6:47 pm

I recently came across some interesting statistics (from several independent sources from which I had to compile and average some data) for the county where I live. Medina County has 47,510 families totalling to 169,353 people, with a whopping 30 families officially heating their homes with coal. This vs. roughly 2,155 homes in Medina County which are primarily heated with wood.

In Medina County 76% of homes are heated heat with natural gas, 11% heat with oil, 5.2% heat with electricity and/or propane (why these two are linked and summed together as one number, I have no idea), 4.6% heat with wood or coal (with the vast majority of these using wood), 1.9% use "other" (solar, wind, kerosene heaters, corn pellets, or whatever), and 1.1% have no heat source at all (or at least no documented primary heat source that the county is aware of).
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post Sun. Jul. 22, 2012 10:13 am

Maybe that 1.1% are plugged into some kind of as of yet unidentified volcanic steam vent. You 'gotta just love stats ! :D
Remember,There's No Sight Like Anthracite !......Hambden Bob

lsayre

Post Sun. Jul. 22, 2012 10:31 am

I'm part of the 1.1%. :)
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

lsayre

Post Sun. Jul. 22, 2012 11:32 am

Another source I came across (just today) for Medina County, Ohio listed the following regarding the breakdown of the energy sources used county-wide for home heating:

Natural gas (73.5%)
Electricity (11.2%)
Bottled, tank, or LP gas (6.8%)
Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (6.5%)
Wood (1.3%)
Other fuel (0.7%)

This seems to make more sense than the earlier sources I came across. Either way, coal isn't very popular in these parts.
-Larry

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”