Reading Anthracite Community Day 03/31/2012

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Mar. 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Reading Anthracite is having a community day Saturday, March 31, 2012. (rain date Saturday, April 14, 2012)
According to their advertisement they will be showing their new 850,000 lb Komatsu hydraulic shovel, a coal mine tour, a coal preparation plant and hear about mining and Reading’s future plans. It is free but reservations are required because they are using busses to transport the people to the site or sites they want to show. The tour is said to be about 3 hours.

If interested call (570) 624-4722 or (570) 624-4724 with your name, number of people, phone number and e-mail.

Parking is at the New St. Nicholas Plant, 46 West Mt Laffee Road, Pottsville, PA

My wife and I are going, I believe we reserved 10:00 for our time and we reserved a few extra slots if anyone is interested. PM me if you may want to go along or call Reading directly and make reservations yourself. The last bus leaves at 12:30

Disclaimer: this information is taken from Reading Anthracites advertisement. I make no claims on its accuracy.

gaw

Post by gaw » Mon. Mar. 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Tuesday March 27, tomorrow, is the last day to reserve for this. I may have a couple slots with us or make your own reservation.

http://www.tnonline.com/2012/mar/20/reading-anthr ... ur-planned
The cost for this event is free but reservations are required. To reserve a tour time call (570) 624-4722 or (570) 624-4724 with your name, number attending, phone number, and e-mail address. You will be given a departure time at the time of your reservation.
Reservation deadline is March 27, and the last tour will depart from New St. Nicholas Plant at 12:30 p.m. Rain date for this event is Saturday, April 14.

gaw

Post by gaw » Fri. Mar. 30, 2012 1:18 pm

The forecast of rain tonight into tomorrow has caused Reading Anthracite to postpone this event until April 14.

What if it rains April 14th? That is the million dollar question.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Mar. 30, 2012 5:07 pm

I wish they would push it off a few more weeks, my dad is retiring the week of April 17th...I bet he would love to go.

gaw

Post by gaw » Sun. Apr. 15, 2012 8:22 am

Reading Anthracite had their community day April 14, 2011 and a good time was had by most if not all. A lot of time, effort and expense were put into it.

We checked in at the New St Nicholas breaker and were assigned a bus to take us to the open pit mine where we would see the Kamatsu PC4000. Along the way we passed some other coal mining sites that were pointed out to us and visible from the road. There was also a very big Marion drag line owned by Reading sitting on a hillside as we travelled to West Spring Energy where the Kamatsu PC4000 is located. Free hot dogs, hamburgers, and doughnuts were available as well as drinks. (no Yuengling) The Kamatsu dealer had a tent there and you could get a free hat, key ring, and pen, ask questions and register to win a gift basket.

After seeing the PC4000 up close and seeing it operate we returned to the breaker and saw some big CAT trucks and loaders, got to ask some questions and had a walk through of the breaker as it was operating. The shakers in the breaker vibrate the upper level pretty much and I suggested building a small motel room to rent out by the hour.

Reading stoves were on display and Reading Anthracite shirts, hats, sweatshirts, and other items bearing the Reading Anthracite name were available to buy.

More information here.http://republicanherald.com/news/reading-anthraci ... -1.1300400

Pictures.http://readinganthracite.zenfolio.com/p688942946
W_Spring_Energy_site.jpg
.JPG | 201.2KB | W_Spring_Energy_site.jpg
Reading_Truck.jpg
.JPG | 182.2KB | Reading_Truck.jpg
Kamatsu_Dealer.jpg
.JPG | 227.3KB | Kamatsu_Dealer.jpg
Loading_truck2.jpg
.JPG | 160.9KB | Loading_truck2.jpg
Loading_truck.jpg
.JPG | 163.6KB | Loading_truck.jpg

gaw

Post by gaw » Sun. Apr. 15, 2012 8:34 am

A few more pictures taken at the St Nicolas breaker.
Big_CAT_truck.jpg
.JPG | 107KB | Big_CAT_truck.jpg
St_Nicolas1.jpg
.JPG | 92.8KB | St_Nicolas1.jpg
St_Nicolas2.jpg
.JPG | 88.2KB | St_Nicolas2.jpg
Over-road_St_Nicolas.jpg
.JPG | 137.4KB | Over-road_St_Nicolas.jpg
Coal_stoves.jpg
.JPG | 125.6KB | Coal_stoves.jpg
Triburner.jpg
.JPG | 96KB | Triburner.jpg