Oiling Coal

General energy and coal related topics, news and basic information. If you do not know where to post your topic post it here.
robb
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 stoker

Post Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 8:46 pm

What oil does anyone/everyone use for their coal? I am changing coal distributors and my new guy doesnt oil the coal. He said Reading Coal wont tell him what they use since it is a secret.....YEAH RIGHT. I have been told to use PTO/hydraulic oil. About 1 gallon/ton. Is this true?
brave men gave us the 2nd Amendment...Don't let cowards take it away!!!

CoalUserWannabe
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Kodiak

Post Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 9:03 pm

I take it you are trying to minimize dust, and if you are , you need something that don't freeze, cheap, and not too dirty to handle, and does not have any side effect.

What about beer ? I always think "Beer " just like some people collect transfat from restaurant, why doesn't someone collect the beer head, heck I have seen my buddy dunk it into his radiator, instead of antifreeze.

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 9:11 pm

I think it is a light hydraulic oil. I belive 1gallon per ton is way to much. More like half or quater of a gallon.

Eric

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

Post Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 9:16 pm

I just started using "Light Mineral Oil" a horse laxative from Tractor Supply so do no be surprised if they do not know what you are looking for when you visit them at Tractor Supply. I have an outdoor hopper that use and oil the coal as I fill it. I use a "Sure Shot" Model A with a 707 tip. I spray in layers 50 lbs at a time. Good luck so far. Also no smell
100_1974.JPG
Top of Bin
100_1973.JPG
Filling Hods

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 10:20 pm

That'd probably down there in the tropics where you are, but not so good up here. :clap: toothy
CoalUserWannabe wrote:I take it you are trying to minimize dust, and if you are , you need something that don't freeze, cheap, and not too dirty to handle, and does not have any side effect.

What about beer ? I always think "Beer " just like some people collect transfat from restaurant, why doesn't someone collect the beer head, heck I have seen my buddy dunk it into his radiator, instead of antifreeze.
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

robb
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 608 stoker

Post Sun. Feb. 26, 2012 7:41 pm

coalfire.....Sierra thanks. I found a new coal guy in my area with bigger sized rice coal that burns better than my old supplier. He doesnt oil so I am gonna do it myself...
brave men gave us the 2nd Amendment...Don't let cowards take it away!!!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Post Mon. Feb. 27, 2012 5:41 am

Just do a search on OILING COAL on here, there are some good threads on what people use.
- Dave
Hyfire I & Keystoker 90K heating an 1890 Victorian
- Amsoil Authorized T1 Certified Dealer

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”