The Cold Weather Is Here!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 11:30 am

Love them old steam radiators. The "theys" say it's the most comfortable heat out there. My old house used to have them, but were removed long before I moved in. I can't afford the wall space they take up. And yes, our temps here in southern N.E. have dropped, but hear it's only temporary. Suppose to climb back to the 40s something with in the next few days. Haven't fired my stove up yet, cause I'm trying to conserve what little coal I've got. Running on "liquid" right now.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Nov. 25, 2013 12:14 am

No! Not the liquid! :fear: :nono: :P

This is the first season EVER that I've not had the oil burner running. I used to leave it on all season to pick up where the HW coils left off - thermostats OFF, of course - couldn't afford to heat this place that way. It used to kick on enough over the course of the winter to use about 1/4 tank. Since I've got the stoker up and running, the oil burner is disconnected electrically, and it's flue stuffed with newspaper. That's a GREAT feeling! :yes:

Woke this morning to 16° ... hit 24 for the high today, windy as hell from sunup to sundown ... and we're now back at 16° again, and headed downward. Saying teens to singles tonight! Too early for this crap!

The stoker sure has proven itself though. From 61° all the way down to 16°, the thing hasn't missed a beat - even with one power outage, and one idiot forgetting to load the hopper! Still on one match!! I can't believe it. Jimmy sure did set me up good. 8-)

Attachments

Stoker, cold front 11-24.wmv
.WMV | 8.1MB | Stoker, cold front 11-24.wmv

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Nov. 25, 2013 8:26 am

Rob R. wrote:
titleist1 wrote:that was a fast hook up! :)
He started the project around Memorial Day. ;)
Of last year!

Looks great Smitty.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Wow! Quite the flame burning in that video Mr.Smith. Almost thought you were burning one of them "eco" bricks. So has your stoker put your Harman out of commission? Or do you still run both? Or was the stove in the video your Harmon? :oops: (I'm so confused). Looks like you've got your self a good supply of coal in your basement. Is that "Santa" nut?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Nov. 27, 2013 7:54 pm

I just burned 190 lbs. of coal in only 3 days, and it's still only November!

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 10:10 am

Bring it on!!!
IMG_4325.JPG
.JPG | 139.8KB | IMG_4325.JPG

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Nothing like the feeling of a full coal bin! 8-)

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Indeed!

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 4:24 pm

We're still not too bad here in New England. But I hear that out west and even some southern states are getting hammered with some cold. I don't imagine there are many members from the south on this forum. But I'm wondering about the midwestern northern area. Is there any arctic air there that's heading east?
Today we're low 30s heading into the 20s tonite. Gave me a good excuse to fire the 513 up. It wouldn't burn for crap the other nite when I tried to start it. Found out the temp went into the 50s at nite. No wonder. I let it die.

Greyhound
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Post by Greyhound » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Not Midwest, but here in Central PA, down to teens tonight and highs in the 20's a few days next week.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Congrats Greyhound -your the 1,000th post! You get .... internet beer! :woot: toothy :drunk: :beer: :cheers:
joeq wrote:Wow! Quite the flame burning in that video Mr.Smith. Almost thought you were burning one of them "eco" bricks. So has your stoker put your Harman out of commission? Or do you still run both? Or was the stove in the video your Harmon? .. (I'm so confused). Looks like you've got your self a good supply of coal in your basement. Is that "Santa" nut?
Wow I'm a little late here with a response ... but that vid is of the new stoker boiler - you can always tell the difference between a stoker and a stove by that "shelf" (burn plate), and the narrow but bright burning band of coal on the burn plate of a stoker. A stove just has a large pile of coal burning non-stop.

When I shot that vid, the stoker had just kicked off, so it was "coasting" in that vid.

Yes, the Harman has been retired for the time being. It will remain in the swamp, just in case.

And yes, that's all Blashak bagged rice - 6 tons down there at the beginning of the season. I think there's a bit less than 5 tons down there now.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 6:47 pm

My impression of a stoker, is basically a large furnace, and thought it would burn at least nut coal, if not stove or bigger. I thought that rice was for little hand fired free standing stoves. With the new stoker working so well, do you think the Harman will be up for sale? :)

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Actually you got that backwards - big sizes for handfired, and smaller sizes for stokers, due to the mechanical feed aspect. My stoker paddle would bust in 3 if I fed it pea or nut coal. :D If the coal would even make it that far down the hopper.

I'm going to hold on to the Harman - like I said .. Just in case. If the SHTF, I'll still be warm. 8-)

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Wow Smitty. I didn't think a stoker even had a hopper. Guess I'll have to do some more research.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Sun. Dec. 08, 2013 10:48 pm

joeq wrote:Wow Smitty. I didn't think a stoker even had a hopper. Guess I'll have to do some more research.
Uhmmm, yeh you do.

Stokers take Rice sized coal, they need small bits to feed over the grate at a set pace. Prolly the closet thing to a Wood Pellet stove as you'll get (eventhough they really aren't cuz we know better)

Northern Connecticut is where exactly? Just asking because that could be me on the RI side or someone on the MAss side or the NY side. 8-)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”