The Cold Weather Is Here!

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 9:24 am

coalnewbie wrote:Fire, yes I know,

I forgot (how quickly we forget) that sometimes we need to run with the big dogs too here in the Lower Hudson Valley. 5F this morning and the wind is blowing. This 7000sqft leak box really shows how terrible it is when the weather really turns. My AnthraKing AK110 is completely outclassed this morning but has saved me a ton of coal so far. What am I so do? Oh, yes, I remember, I bought another one and it is just sitting there with it's 14" duct, I even thought of selling once to raise some sorely needed cash. If I think of that again will someone please slap me. So last night a piece of CDX outside the open window, powervent through it, plug in and light up ----- ahhhhhhh - love those stoves. Now where is that spare Dwyer??? Now we are cooking, I'm too old to freeze. LOVE that coal. Come the spring I have to install this more correctly but at least I will still be alive.
I've been messing with the ceiling fans trying to get them to move the hot air about the house a bit better. Can't remember how I had them set last season. But I've noticed since adding my daughter's room on the far end of the house and raising a wall the entire dynamic of the house has changed. I've got to relearn what the house wants now. I've insulated more this past summer but I've still got a ton of holes. This house is like living in an building that just has open windows. I've started removing windows completely too. I definitely need to do something with the master bedroom. It's got pine wood floors and it's like walking on ice. I'm probably going to carpet it this summer. The living room also has a spot of wood flooring that you have a 1" step down to. I'm debating raising the floor that 1" and putting foam board underneath it. There's a lot of crawlspace in my house. A lot of it I can't get into because I'm too big.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 9:27 am

oros35 wrote:8am it was -2 here. I'm pouring the coal to her, but temp was still 66 in cold part of the house. I've had to tend to it every 8 hours to keep the temps up though.
I did help it out last night and had a fire in the fireplace, but that only heats about 1/3d of the house, took it from 65 up to 71. It was pretty much out when I went to bed.

I never imagined that I'd be heating my 3K square foot of living space with this old heater. It really is impressive.
Amazing!
I too have been pouring the coal to my stoves. I'm on an 8hr schedule also to keep them ripping without long recovery time.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 10:07 am

I've insulated more this past summer but I've still got a ton of holes. This house is like living in an building that just has open windows. I've started removing windows completely too.
I am glad the second stove is now working to warm the house (very successfully) otherwise I would have to find where I put that wood ax. Why the ax, well I would have to start chopping up the dining room furniture for heat as I absolutely refuse to burn oil. It's the principle of the thing, it's PA fuel or die here.

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Never got warmer than -7 here today and the wind is just crazy! Must be close to -40 wind chill. I'll sure be glad when March comes around. :lol:

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Had a high of -6, wind was howling all day, I bet I could have toilet trained the dog today!! :lol: :shock: :|

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 5:31 pm

michaelanthony wrote:I bet I could have toilet trained the dog today!! :lol: :shock: :|
:rofl:

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 8:21 pm

went outside this morning and it was about 10*...not too bad compared to all you northern guys....but I saw something weird in the outside water bowl...

i had filled it with water about 9 last night....it had of course frozen over night...

but there was a finger size icicle sticking UP from the ice...

The only thing I could figure is that it froze over the top so fast that water from underneath squeezed through a crack and kept building up and freezing.

paulsferg

Post by paulsferg » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 9:57 pm

-5 this morning,0 right now,wind blowing pretty good.the efm highboy just chugging along.love that old girl.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 10:14 pm

image.jpg
.JPG | 232.5KB | image.jpg

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 10:28 pm

I don't need no stinkin' grant for these degrees! :P :D :lol:

Attachments

Temp graph, weatherstation, Jan.23,2013.JPG
.JPG | 68KB | Temp graph, weatherstation, Jan.23,2013.JPG

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 10:30 pm

mid 50's here today, lovely. But I will be flying into Maine tomorrow, guess I won't need to buy any ice for the beer will I Stevezee?

kevin

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 6:04 am

Another morning at -17...this has been quite a cold snap.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 6:26 am

First winter in our new to us house. Stove is keeping everything toasty with Living Room at 76 and upstairs bedrooms at 68. It's currently +2. We have enough air leaks that we don't have to worry about our house being too tight. :fear: I have most of the spots identified and I'll hit them when the temps moderate a little bit. Maybe when we have our heat wave starting on Saturday when the high will be a balmy 23. New weather stripping around all the doors. Air coming around them is like a wind tunnel.

Rev. Larry

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 7:30 am

KLook wrote:mid 50's here today, lovely. But I will be flying into Maine tomorrow, guess I won't need to buy any ice for the beer will I Stevezee?

kevin
Nope no need Kev. Have a safe flight and I'll keep the brews warmer in the fridge! :P

It's -8° this morning and windchill of -24° Just taking the trash bags down the drive my ears were burning. I love to breathe that cold dense air though but you got to go slow. This is one of those old fashioned winters we haven't had in a few years.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 8:46 am

Rob R. wrote:Another morning at -17...this has been quite a cold snap.
Here in the warm south the low was 2. At 7 now, the boiler has been running quite a bit. :D

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”