Should Insurance Co. & Local Government Know I'm Coal Soon?

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 9:17 am

Most towns or muncipalites have a building code that requires a permit to install a solid fuel appliance period. Usually a nominal fee and inspection is involved. This is to insure it is installed safely.

My insurance company charges a nominal $25 year premimun extra for solid fuel supplemental heat coverage. It is a slightly greater risk for them and cheap enough for me not to argue about it.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 10:08 am

steamup wrote:Most towns or muncipalites have a building code that requires a permit to install a solid fuel appliance period. Usually a nominal fee and inspection is involved. This is to insure it is installed safely.
I don't know of any place in the USA that doesn't have a building code. ALL states have building codes and the wording in the law that gives them authority to have one, says it applies everywhere unless a lesser government unit, city, township, county, etc. has one that's at least as protective. Then both apply. Just because you live in the middle of no where or never see a building code enforcement officer doesn't mean there isn't a code that applies to you.

In general for solid fuel appliances NFPA 211 is the code you must meet. You can read it here:

http://www.nfpa.org

theo

Post by theo » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 5:38 pm

RAYJAY wrote:the coal stove is you backup heat to the oil ............
May I ask why would it matter?

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 5:43 pm

insurance companies don't want the risk of a house freezing and the associated damage and loss cause by a heating system that has to be tended regularly. As long as they know that you have that automatic system and it appears you only dabble in solid fuel heating they feel there is less risk of loss

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 5:55 pm

In addition, history shows that stoves are often installed by people that have no idea what they are doing. Furnace and boiler installs rarely suffer from this. It's just managing risk.

Bear038

Post by Bear038 » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Many municipalities want an inspection on the new heating appliance. They basically want to check clearance to combustibles, and look at the chimney. If a new chimney is going in, all most assured you need permit and inspections for that. If you need inspections and a permit, and do not get them, this may be the out your insurance company uses if a fire occurs.

RAYJAY
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Post by RAYJAY » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 7:59 pm

theo wrote:
RAYJAY wrote:the coal stove is you backup heat to the oil ............
May I ask why would it matter?
even if you go for a refinance or a mortgage a lot of the banks will not allow you just to have coal or wood heat, I seen seen one of the guys at work install old electric heat base board to get by this ...... :roll:

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Bear038 wrote:Many municipalities want an inspection on the new heating appliance. They basically want to check clearance to combustibles, and look at the chimney. If a new chimney is going in, all most assured you need permit and inspections for that. If you need inspections and a permit, and do not get them, this may be the out your insurance company uses if a fire occurs.
That last sentence is an oft- repeated myth and not true. Insurance companies will pay for almost any stupid thing you do. In addition, not obtaining a permit doesn't indicate on it's face that an installation wasn't safe or to "code".

gizmo
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Pea
Other Heating: NONE

Post by gizmo » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 9:54 pm

I talked to my Insurance Co. about a coal boiler and
he suggested That I don't do it,He burns corn and
thinks that's OK.About two months after I lit the AA130
he called snooping,so I told him it was in and running.He
contacted the underwriter and they ran out as fast as their
car would go.After inspecting they didn't even rate me because
I have a comercially built unit installed according the the instructions.
This is my only source of heat.Don't need to back-up American
made quality.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 11:17 pm

Gizmo nice to see when we are on the "ball" everything goes well :!: Congratulations on a proper "approved" installation. :D

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 9:48 am

Berlin wrote:insurance companies don't want the risk of a house freezing and the associated damage and loss cause by a heating system that has to be tended regularly. As long as they know that you have that automatic system and it appears you only dabble in solid fuel heating they feel there is less risk of loss
Actually it goes a little deeper than this. For instance NYS mechanical building code:

"Space Heating Systems - Interior spaces intended for human occupancy shall be provided with active or passive space-heating systems capable of maintaining a minimum indoor temperature of 68 deg. F. at a point 3 feet above floor on the design heating day. the installation of portable space heater shall not be used to achieve compliance with this section"

This could be subject to much interpetation by the local code official. A wood or coal stove would not meet this requirement due to lack of proper distribution even though it might bake you out. Hand fired equipment may not meet this due to lack of a sufficint burn time. A stoker furnace or boiler with a hopper and heat distribution system may meet this due to sufficient coal reserve. Similar to a oil system requiring a tank being filled.

An Axeman-anderson with it's tube stuck into a coal bin will be just as good as an oil system in my book but again it would be up to the local authority having jurisdiction.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”