IPPC and Al Gores Nobel Prize Deserved or a Sham?

Sham or no Sham

Undeserved
83%
Deserved
7%
Who's Al Gore?
11%

Total votes: 46

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 3:23 pm

This topic always has a way of making people upset at others and there is no winner. I have seen it on 2 other forums and the results are always the same. fighting and pissing each other off. I too think it is a good idea to lock this thread.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 3:31 pm

Now boys, just remember the golden rule no discussions on religion or politics. [-X

Now everybody take a deep breath, count to 1,000 and enjoy a big group hug.

It will soon be forgotten and we can get back the the matters at hand, enjoying the warmth and money savings that are coal heat! :lol:

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 4:05 pm

For the mild disagreements, mainly about the verification of facts, there still has been no one voting for 'deserved' on the poll. This pretty much covers the original subject...

No need to lock it. Like Matthaus said, it will fade away.

Greg L.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 4:30 pm

Matthaus wrote:Now boys, just remember the golden rule no discussions on religion or politics. [-X
Well I have no rules about that nor do intend to make any. It's too hard to enforce and decide what is or isn't political or religious in nature. Especially true for politics for topics like this one which revolves around politics at its heart.
I have a hard time accepting facts from forum members who cannot sign their posts.
Anonymity has both and upside and downside, people may offer their opinions more freely. This can be good or bad depending on you perspective. There is also your personal well being to consider, I know of least one forum member from another forum that was receiving death threats and other such non sense in the regular mail because he let out his real identity. You don't know who is on the other side of the computer, at least in real life you can get a feel for someone. Much harder to do when you're just reading text.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 6:04 pm

So ADMIN....

You really stirred up the coal bed with this thread.

Actually I kind of enjoyed it once I got myself calmed down.

It is true that this discussion could go on forever, with tempers rising higher and higher.

So let's get back to the business at hand....rocks that burn and :occasion5:

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 8:55 pm

Umm, Wood'nCoal, I haven't burned rocks since my teens -- --it's a habit I'd rather not....................oh..,

OH! You mean the BLACK ones............used for HEAT......

.....anthracite ...yes... ahem .....cough!.............Silly me... :wave:

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 9:07 pm

Smitty, you crack me up! *hehe* :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 9:45 pm

I wince everytime someone refers to coal as rocks... :lol:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 9:49 pm

Richard S. wrote:I wince everytime someone refers to coal as rocks... :lol:
Sorry, I lifted that line from someone else on this forum (can't remember who right now). :twisted:

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 10:00 pm

Haven't been here in a few days- this was up to 3 pages till I got here, and the wife even came over to see what I'm laughing at; it amazing what subjects just kick up a hornet's nest...

My Gramma's "golden rule" was something like "no politics in church or at the dinner table". They lived in Coaldale, I think that's why there's a bar on every corner in the coal towns :occasion5:

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 10:03 pm

I call coal "rocks" because I had my daughters help me carry bags of coal into the basement. They were like "these are so heavy, it's like making us carry bags of rocks" then I poured a bag out and my youngest exclaimed "THEY ARE ROCKS!" hehe

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 10:42 pm

Richard S. wrote:I wince everytime someone refers to coal as rocks... :lol:
I have actually bought a ton of those coalrocks a few years back. :evil:

FYI-- they don't burn that well...

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 10:48 pm

Richard S. wrote:[
Well I have no rules about that nor do intend to make any. It's too hard to enforce and decide what is or isn't political or religious in nature. Especially true for politics for topics like this one which revolves around politics at its heart.

There is also your personal well being to consider, I know of least one forum member from another forum that was receiving death threats and other such non sense in the regular mail because he let out his real identity. You don't know who is on the other side of the computer, at least in real life you can get a feel for someone. Much harder to do when you're just reading text.
Thank God!! I don't see anything wrong with a cordial and spirited debate as long as it is done respectfully. This is one of my BIG pet peeves about a certain dodge diesel truck forum I frequently visit. It seems that if you don't have the same opinion about things as the mods there they will either lock the thread of just flat out ban you.

It never hurts to keep your personal info from people.
maybe Lsfarm will shed some light the tactics I use before meeting forum members face to face. :oops: It's a fine line between offending people and staying safe.

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Wed. Oct. 31, 2007 11:30 pm

Sorry to have broken the streak, boyz; I voted "deserved."

I'm not a particular fan of Al, and maybe it's like the blind squirrel stumbling on the acorn, but people don't win Nobel Prizes by blowing smoke. We may not like it but that doesn't make the award a mistake.

Like it or not, the science is in, the polar icecaps are melting and the rate at which we're adding CO2 to the atmosphere has far overtaken the atmosphere's ability to absorb it.

I guess that makes me the only true hypocrite here, as I burn my rice in my girlie stoker furnace. But, in my defense, I've been saying for years that we should be generating electricity with coal and nukes, not oil and gas. Now it looks like the "nukular" industry may make a comeback. And, as we take these coal plants offline, we can use the coal for our houses. :wink: Oh, and coal is a national security issue for me: less imported oil!

But, let's face it: like the proverbial fruit flies, we humans are using the planet's food and fuel, increasing our population, and generating quantities of waste that ultimately will make the environment too toxic to survive in. Anybody miss that experiment in 10th grade biology?

The question is whether we'll use our considerable ingenuity to mitigate or to accelerate the problem. We can hope but, as long as it's either easier or cheaper to be dirty, somebody will be doing it. Like me. Or the Chinese.

As Kurt Vonnegut told Jon Stewart before he died last year, "Humans are a terrible species and we can hardly blame the earth's immune system for trying to rid itself of us."

Whether or not we agree with Al, we need to get serious about this issue. I don't yet see that as meaning that we have to stop burning coal; maybe getting rid of gas guzzlers we don't need and getting some nukes online will be a win on both carbon and national security.

But our kids and -- if we're lucky -- theirs need us to square up to this and make some long-term plans that don't involve sticking our heads in the, um, coal bin.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Nov. 01, 2007 1:09 am

If anyone is interested there is a online version of the article from my first post here:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=3751219&page=1
stockingfull wrote: Like it or not, the science is in, the polar icecaps are melting ....
That's pretty much the point of my first post, the science is not in and the fact that message is not getting to the public is of concern. The scientists in my original post certainly aren't quacks according to their credentials and if they are quacks it doesn't say much for selection process for the panels they were on.

The most basic principal of propaganda is to keep repeating the same thing over and over and eventually people think its the truth however ludicrous or inaccurate it may be. Unfortunately the news media organizations make this ever so easy to accomplish, good news doesn't sell newspapers or advertising time. Joe Schmoe gets arrested for some outlandish crime and its 2 or 3rd page news, Joe Schmoe gets Not guilty verdict and its buried on page 52 if listed at all.

The inaccuracies pointed out in this movie are at some points so far off the mark it's ridiculous, it's nothing more than propaganda to advance the agenda of Al Gore. It's clearly intended to manipulate people.

For example from the article:
In the movie, for example, Gore says that if we allow the globe to warm, "sea levels worldwide would go up 20 feet." Then he shows his audience terrifying maps of Florida and San Francisco submerged under rising sea levels. But the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which shared last week's Nobel Prize with Gore, said that would probably take thousands of years to happen. Over the next 100 years, sea levels are expected to rise seven to 24 inches, not 20 feet.

This is an example of propaganda to spread fear among a population to advance your own agenda. "hey Joe you see Al gores Movie, we all going to be swamped if we keep bar-b-queing".

What really gets my goat is the house comparison pointed to in previous post, If you want to lead you should do it by example. If you want to talk the talk you should walk the walk. Al Gore having a house that is consuming 10 times the amount of energy your average consumer does tells me he's obviously not concerned about it enough himself to make the sacrifices he wants others to endure.

If Al Gore wants to impress me he needs to clean up his own act before he starts pointing the finger at me.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”